gas variety.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 04:48 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by QwkSC
I run the highest I can find. In Kansas, It was 91, but now that Im back in TX I can find 93

Another thing often overlooked is WHO you buy it from. I have gotten bad gas 3 times now from Valero. Never ever from Shell or Exxon or Chevron.
93 octane gas was everywhere when I lived in Dallas. I've never seen it up here in Oklahoma though.

That is very true about the bad gas. I got some bad gas once from a really nice gas station in Tulsa. On the way back to Oklahoma City, I got SEVEN miles per gallon, maybe even less than that. It was horrible!
Old 01-29-11, 06:00 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnboyjh
Octane has always given the wrong impression to most people. Higher octane does not always mean higher performance. Octane controls the burn rate of the gas. Higher octane actually slows the burn rate thus reduces pre ignition or knock. It's a fine line to walk but you actually want to burn the lowest octane (faster burn rate) without detonation or knock. Cars with knock sensors will retard the timing when it senses knock and that basically will reduce performance. I've found it's probably best to go by the manufacturer's recommendations because most cars now days have knock sensors. As long as you don't get any knock and want to save $$$s and don't mind reduced performance burn the low stuff. Knock is your enemy as is running lean. They generally go hand in hand.
I completely agree with you.
I usually run 91 since its the highest octane in my neck of the woods, but I have been known to run 87 from time to time, and the car seems to run the same except for the obvious difference in gas mileage.
Old 01-29-11, 06:58 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Says to run prem so I pump the highest I can get around me, 91.
Old 01-29-11, 10:15 PM
Gazootech
Rookie

johnboy has it right. Using lower octane than 91 u will lose a little performance. If you use a lower octane than 91 and the car knocks or runs on you will need to go back to 91
Old 01-29-11, 10:30 PM
xiaolong
Driver

Gas is probably one of the single most important details some people forget about.
I am in texas, so it will probably be different than what you have, but I tested Shell, Chevron, Texaco thoroughly before I decided. A lot is also the particular station, as a lot of places tend to get bad gas sometimes, this cannot be predicted.
There used to be a place near me that had Ethanol-free gas, if you can find it, go as high an octane as you can, this stuff is worth it's weight in gold for your motor.
When my station lost its ethanol-free, I tested some more and decided to go with a local Chevron that recorded the least amount of knock(KR), pulled timing, in the data logging I did with a handheld.
Once per month, I put 2 to 1 Race gas(109 octane unleaded) to pump(93). I felt that this helped clear out the crap from the gas I had been using.
Bottom line is, if you cant get a detailed log of how your car is responding through the use of a handheld or a dyno, it's really hard to pick the right one, because the butt dyno is very unreliable.
Use the highest octane available from a reputable, busy station,(check local forums and see what the people in your area use in their cars) and if you dont mind the coin, mix some race gas(unleaded of course) in there once a month or so for good measure.
luckily, I don't have to worry about that anymore as I have made the switch to E85.

Last edited by xiaolong; 01-29-11 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-30-11, 03:48 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

93 is the way to be!
Old 01-30-11, 07:54 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i rock 87 mostly... i dont really feel any difference in performance..but honestly car is slow all the time regardless of 93 or 87. sc3
Old 01-30-11, 08:00 AM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xiaolong
Gas is probably one of the single most important details some people forget about.
I am in texas, so it will probably be different than what you have, but I tested Shell, Chevron, Texaco thoroughly before I decided. A lot is also the particular station, as a lot of places tend to get bad gas sometimes, this cannot be predicted.
There used to be a place near me that had Ethanol-free gas, if you can find it, go as high an octane as you can, this stuff is worth it's weight in gold for your motor.
When my station lost its ethanol-free, I tested some more and decided to go with a local Chevron that recorded the least amount of knock(KR), pulled timing, in the data logging I did with a handheld.
Once per month, I put 2 to 1 Race gas(109 octane unleaded) to pump(93). I felt that this helped clear out the crap from the gas I had been using.
Bottom line is, if you cant get a detailed log of how your car is responding through the use of a handheld or a dyno, it's really hard to pick the right one, because the butt dyno is very unreliable.
Use the highest octane available from a reputable, busy station,(check local forums and see what the people in your area use in their cars) and if you dont mind the coin, mix some race gas(unleaded of course) in there once a month or so for good measure.
luckily, I don't have to worry about that anymore as I have made the switch to E85.
That's a state law now right? All the gas stations I've seen in Texas run 10% ethanol. That makes me angry, ethanol is not good for old engines, it will eat up the plastics
Old 01-30-11, 09:11 AM
BigSticks
Lead Lap

All my cars always have 93, on ocassion i goto the airport and snag some avgas cause its fairly cheap compaired to 93 pump down here, and i have never had a problem outa either fuel
Old 01-30-11, 09:25 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my car hates 89 its just less responsive with the throttle plus my mileage gets worst, i buy 91
Old 01-30-11, 09:29 AM
xiaolong
Driver

Originally Posted by QwkSC
That's a state law now right? All the gas stations I've seen in Texas run 10% ethanol. That makes me angry, ethanol is not good for old engines, it will eat up the plastics
Not sure if it's law or that stations get some sort of expemtion for selling 10% ethanol.
Outside of city limits is where I got the ethanol-free, these arent as regulated I dont think, but they have since gone to 10%.
And yes, ethanol robs older motors of power, causes gas mileage to DECREASE, and will in time cause some damage to things like fuel pump.
It never made complete sense to me to use it, it's better for the environment, but it takes MORE to go the same distance with 10% than with ethanol-free.
My SRT averaged about 15 WITH 10% ethanol, and NO LIE, I averaged almost 18 with Ethanol-Free, plus my car ran STRONG, was responsive in 100* weather, a very obvious difference.
Old 01-30-11, 09:58 AM
JayCaz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'93 sunoco full tank $45-55 lasts me between 2-3 weeks, 15-17miles daily driven
You get what you pay for...

If my dash says use premium, why would I use regular?
If we were back in the '90s and our cars(sc) were new to us, those who do not use premium will be voiding their warranty. If it says premium there must be a reason for it.
Old 01-30-11, 10:10 AM
SCick300
Driver School Candidate

I know all cars are different, but I used to drive a GS-R when I was in high school. Those are premium fuel only as well, and being the dumb high school teenager that I was, I ignored that and used regular unleaded for the two years I had it. It eventually ruined my valves and I had to rebuild the motor. I won't go cheap on gas after that experience.
Old 02-01-11, 10:16 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

xiaolong is right.

93 octane in wisconsin is of a higher quality than 93 here in chicagoland. Something about a state rule that they have to declare on gas pumps the alcohol content of gas. Low and mid grade both have %'s, but 93 does not. I got damn near 34mpg coming back from the dells with a fully tuned up, BFI and new wheels and TT brake setup.
I've done 100 octane on more than a few occasions. More soot out the back (as opposed to NO SOOT on 93) and does feel like more grunt down below and a bit more of a pull above 4.5k
Old 02-02-11, 05:47 AM
FrshPrince
Rookie

Chevron w/ Techron! 91 It feels good haha

Quick Reply: gas variety.