SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC300, GTE, 72MM, E85. The story.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 10:00 PM
xiaolong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC300, GTE, 72MM, E85. The story.

The Beginning....

Hello everyone, I have been a member for a while now, mostly lurking and learning. I came from a Chrysler 300 SRT8, now I have the SC300, another 300, of the import variety. I am surrounded by both import and domestic buddies, love the cars.

Well here we go, I was going to wait until I finished and got running to post my build , but I couldn’t wait any longer, I know some of you like seeing progress of builds, as do I.

I got my SC with most of what you see in the pics already installed, but poorly.
This SC needed some serious TLC.

I was told all it needed was a tune, I still feel I got a good deal on it though.

I have added numerous things, listed below, and fixed numbers more. A lot of it was issues that didn’t necessarily prevent it from driving, but I wanted this done right, no cut corners, as long as budget allowed.

The wiring was a verifiable nightmare; I ended up just yanking all that crap out and replacing the aristo harness with a new one. Had to completely redo the injector wiring, everything was essentially jumping off other wires, it worked, but barely and not safely.

The lines needed replacing, they were all jacked up, so new -10 lines all around.
Added the billet tensioner for safe measure.

Sure, the tranny was a Level 10 built auto, but it was an N/A built tranny.  my mechanic, George, said it best about the tranny when I asked him about it’s strength. “would you rather have a built chevy cavalier tranny, or a stock Corvette tranny?” nuff said, so I got a stock twin turbo tranny. A built tranny wasn’t in the ol budget yet.

Sure, it had a precision industries torque converter, but I decided to have it tested for strength and to confirm the stall. Sure enough, a couple broken propellers, and a 2200 stall, same as stock. So let’s swap that out for a built, 2800 REAL precision TC.

Sure, it had 1000cc injectors, but the clips were broken and I didn’t want this car running full duty all the time, so lets go ahead and get 1600cc.

Sure, it had some 275s on it, but they were rubbing the fenders, so let’s get those fenders rolled a little bit.

Now to the brakes. Yeah, the stock ones weren’t gonna cut it anymore. Didn’t have BBK coin, so I got some LS400 brakes, nice rotors, and some Goodridge Stainless Steel lines, should be ok for now.

Exhaust. I wanted this car to run smooth and quiet, so as to be as inconspicuous as possible. My idea is lexus smooth for the cruise, crazy insane loud when the supra in it gets involved. 
So this is where I decided to go 4” e-cutout to stock exhaust, and have the AEM open up the cutout at a certain boost level.

On my setup since I am using E-85, 1600cc, 3 fuel pumps, 72mm, I’m sure it’ll hit some high numbers, but I wanted to be able to have fun with it, and not run it at full duty, or even very close to it for that matter. So my goal was high 6XX to loooow 7XX.
That and the tranny is my weak point in the setup as long as the motor holds well, so I didn’t want to push it too much from the get go.

Gotta give mad props to the man George, for getting it all together.
The other pics below of my SC are in chronological order from the day I got it to current….I will add more very soon, but it's late and the scotch is making me lazy.....enjoy

the wiring nightmare that I trashed...

the tranny replacement

the day i got the SC

Last edited by xiaolong; 03-11-11 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 10:10 PM
xiaolong
Driver

This is a list of what is in the car at this point...

Aristo 2jzgte swap
Twin Turbo Auto tranny
Precision Industries 2800 TC
Borg Warner S372 w/ race cover, 1.00 hotside
4" DP
272 Brian Crower cams
HKS cam gears
Dual springs and retainers
3 Walbro pumps
-10 AN lines
1600cc injectors
AEM EMS
Greddy Profec B
KYB adjustables and Eibach springs
Billet Tensioner
4” FMIC
4” E-cutout to stock exhaust
LS 400 4 piston brakes front
Motul oil
Goodridge SS brake lines
E-85
Billet Fuel Rail
Aeromotive regulator
Old 01-20-11, 10:32 PM
xiaolong
Driver

I guess I should give status after all that...

the tranny flange is being machined to fit currently and then the tranny will be installed.

Then will complete the wiring by getting it all plugged in. Hopefully after this it's off to tune!
Old 01-21-11, 08:46 PM
97RSPSCTT
Pole Position

very nice man, good job. video the tune session and post that sucka up!
Old 01-21-11, 08:57 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome sleeper... Good luck finishing it up!
Old 01-21-11, 11:03 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

I know who car that use to be, you bought it from a guy name quincy. Never thought he would of had the n/a tranny built.
Old 01-22-11, 08:45 AM
xiaolong
Driver

Originally Posted by Trevstuh
I know who car that use to be, you bought it from a guy name quincy. Never thought he would of had the n/a tranny built.
Yep thats him.
He may have not known, or he may have. He didnt have this built, it was sitting in the shop that did his work for a loooong time, he either got screwed or just didnt know.
He said it was a built tranny, it was but it's an N/A. It was built a long time ago, probably before we really started making real power on these motors, so building it then may have made sense.
There were several things he was mistaken on, he didnt do the work himself, so he probably didnt know.
He thought the wiring was good, it was far from it. like I said, I had to end up trashing all of it.
The injector clips were broken, obviously not safe there.
The AEM wasn't connecting and the car wouldnt start 20 mintues after I bought it, had to do some extra creative wiring with the fuel pumps and the AEM and buy a new battery to get it started and to the shop.
The tranny was missing 1 bolt when we took it off, and the fluid and tranny smelled hella burnt.
The car ran, but needed to be done right.
He mentioned wanting to get another car, I hope whoever does the work on it does a better job than this.

Last edited by xiaolong; 01-22-11 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-22-11, 09:01 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xiaolong

I got my SC with most of what you see in the pics already installed, but poorly.
This SC needed some serious TLC.

I was told all it needed was a tune . . .
Bahahaha, yeah I've heard that line before

And the sellers always have an excuse as to why they just can't get around to it themselves.

BTW, the car looks like it should be a lot of fun now.
Old 01-22-11, 09:52 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

awesome. E85 + lotsa boost !!!
Old 01-22-11, 10:02 AM
maceugood
Pole Position

xiaolong, you gotta side pic showing those wheels? its kinda what i am looking for. good luck with your build.
Old 01-22-11, 11:29 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xiaolong
Exhaust. I wanted this car to run smooth and quiet, so as to be as inconspicuous as possible. My idea is lexus smooth for the cruise, crazy insane loud when the supra in it gets involved. 

On my setup since I am using E-85, 1600cc, 3 fuel pumps, 72mm, I’m sure it’ll hit some high numbers, but I wanted to be able to have fun with it, and not run it at full duty, or even very close to it for that matter. So my goal was high 6XX to loooow 7XX.
That and the tranny is my weak point in the setup as long as the motor holds well, so I didn’t want to push it too much from the get go.
I am not trying to hate and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that setup won't drive like a lexus. It also is pushing the stock block & head along with the transmission to the limit. I just hope you know what you are doing. Most people wouldn't have fun with that kind of setup.
Old 01-22-11, 12:58 PM
xiaolong
Driver

Originally Posted by account2x
I am not trying to hate and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that setup won't drive like a lexus. It also is pushing the stock block & head along with the transmission to the limit. I just hope you know what you are doing. Most people wouldn't have fun with that kind of setup.
no worries.

What I meant was as far as noise during normal driving. Poor choice of words on my part.
Yes, i am aware it will not be a great cruiser.
The block and head are good, but yes, the tranny is my concern at this point.
When we get to the dyno, if it is overboosting and making too much power, I will be going with a T67 that I have.
800hp isnt my goal, I'm more interested in 6XX. With the TC, the tranny should be ok for a while.
It definitely wont be a daily driver.

Last edited by xiaolong; 01-22-11 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-22-11, 01:05 PM
xiaolong
Driver

Got the Flange back with the extension for the turbo tranny

Old 01-22-11, 01:08 PM
xiaolong
Driver

Originally Posted by maceugood
xiaolong, you gotta side pic showing those wheels? its kinda what i am looking for. good luck with your build.
I'll snap a pic for you next time I get to the car. It's at my mechanics house
Old 01-22-11, 01:10 PM
xiaolong
Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
Bahahaha, yeah I've heard that line before

And the sellers always have an excuse as to why they just can't get around to it themselves.

BTW, the car looks like it should be a lot of fun now.
exactly,
I knew it needed some work, didnt think it would be this much. But oh well, that's what tends to happen when you buy a project. It'll be all good soon.

Quick Reply: 92 SC300, GTE, 72MM, E85. The story.