SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wheel Situation: Redrilling, wobble bolts, adapters, etc. for 5x112mm wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 07:40 PM
stillfly45
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Situation: Redrilling, wobble bolts, adapters, etc. for 5x112mm wheel.

So ive came across a wheel that i have fell in love with. They are 19x8.5 all the way around +34 offset 57.1 hub bore (might have to get that redrilled to 60.1 as well), but they are 5x112.

Heres the situation the company sells the same wheel staggered 19x8.5 x9.5 (+34 offset) with a 5x114.3 pattern for $1050 shipped (not bad at all). Now those same wheels non-staggered with the specs mentioned above sell for $550 shipped for a limited time.

Now is it wise for me to buy the 5x112mm and use adapters or get them redrilled, maybe even wobble lug nuts? I mean the saving of $500 is pretty significant even if i have to spend another $100 to get them redrilled. the savings could be used on better tires and such.

Im looking for advice from people who have experience with redrilled wheels adapters, or wobble lug nuts. Want to know if going this route has cause any problems or anything. My car will probably never see the track or anything. just daily driven and the occasional red light drag race.

*****ATTN WHEEL SNOBS*****
If your reply to this post is "The correct wheels are only $1050, just buy the correct size and stop being cheap" dont post here
If your reply to this post is "The wheels must be ****ty if there only $1050" dont post here
If your reply to this post is "volk blah blah work blah blah. OMG im such a d|ckhead i have nothing to contribute to your thread" dont post here

Im tired of people riding the work, volk, BBS, etc bandwagon and saying that you must have the official authentic lightweight track racing wheels to daily drive your car. If you can afford the wheels then great. But dont bash the rest of us who dont wanna spend what a stock sc300 cost on rims alone. /rant
Old 01-20-11, 08:08 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Why don't you want to mention what wheels they are?
Old 01-20-11, 08:57 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i would go with adapters. easier and call it a day.
Old 01-20-11, 09:05 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd say adapters too, it's probably safer than re-drilling. Sorry bro but re-drilling just sounds like you're going to get yourself killed.

I've seen some dood rolling BMW stockies on his car so it's doable. But, you forgot to mention what wheels they are.
Old 01-20-11, 09:17 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adapters if anything as one of your 3 "**** head" answers is correct. And it's too bad you're starting this thread by saying you're willing to accept good advice... however

The correct wheels are only $1050, just buy the correct size and stop being UNSAFE.

Did I change it enough so as not to offend? Daily driven cars still see plenty of strain on the wheel mounting surface. Please, if these wheels correctly sized are out of your budget then hold off or pick up some other ones. There are wheels in your price range that are correctly sized, you just have to be patient. I hope you take this as constructive and respond with a mature answer.
Old 01-21-11, 12:51 AM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Klaus
Adapters if anything as one of your 3 "**** head" answers is correct. And it's too bad you're starting this thread by saying you're willing to accept good advice... however

The correct wheels are only $1050, just buy the correct size and stop being UNSAFE.

Did I change it enough so as not to offend? Daily driven cars still see plenty of strain on the wheel mounting surface. Please, if these wheels correctly sized are out of your budget then hold off or pick up some other ones. There are wheels in your price range that are correctly sized, you just have to be patient. I hope you take this as constructive and respond with a mature answer.
Right on. It sounds to me that you are looking for us to all say "yeah go ahead and by the 5x112's it's all good!" because you want them REALLY bad. just be patient and wait for the wheels that fit to go on sale. or call the company and see if they'll honor the price in the correct fitting wheel maybe?
Old 01-21-11, 05:55 AM
stillfly45
Rookie

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Why don't you want to mention what wheels they are?
Well after the XXR 521 obsession ive realized that our community loves good looking cheap wheels and i dont want someone to go out and buy these wheels before i make my decision. Ill post pics tho

Originally Posted by Klaus

Lol na youre good. The disclaimer was for people who were just going to post about the right wheels being "only" $1050 and basing their opinion solely on the cost. As long as you have constructive justification then its good. I appreciate your response.

And my main concern was safety with using adapters and what not. The last thing i want to do is make a bad decision and have my wheels fly off on the highway. I really what to know if this deal is good enough for me to use adapters. Like if saving the $500 now will eventually result in me spending $500 later to get stuff fixed, or spending $500 for my medical deductible. that kind of info

Originally Posted by tmh95sc
Right on. It sounds to me that you are looking for us to all say "yeah go ahead and by the 5x112's it's all good!" because you want them REALLY bad. just be patient and wait for the wheels that fit to go on sale. or call the company and see if they'll honor the price in the correct fitting wheel maybe?

Na if i wanted that I wudnt have made a thread. Im basically looking for people saying "I have used such& such adapters for 10k miles with no problems" or "I got my wheels redrilled by such&such and havent had any problems in 5K miles" or maybe even "DONT DO IT. I have used adapters many times and they all seem to break" basically reassurance/advice/experiences from people who have done this before

Additionally i do plan on buying IS300 ARP extended studs if i do get adapters or what not
Old 01-21-11, 05:59 AM
stillfly45
Rookie

My bad if i came off as an aszz in my OP, but i really wasnt trying to hear the cliche responses about rims under $2000

Last edited by stillfly45; 01-21-11 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-21-11, 07:00 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are going down this path get the ones that at least have the correct PCD.

To me it's not worth spending anymore on them having to make them fit the car just because you can pick them up cheap... it'll most likely cost you close to the same amount as the correct fit wheels.
Old 01-21-11, 08:44 AM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can simply re-drill to a 112 pattern and center bore but it will cost you just as much.
Old 01-21-11, 09:03 AM
JIzzle
Driver School Candidate

112 with wobble nuts on 114,3 is fine. however i have no idea about drilling the hub bore.
Old 01-21-11, 10:49 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

drilling the hub bore and redrilling the holes is going to cost almost as much as the correct wheels.

Custom adpaters is going to cost probably about $200.

I say just buy adapters
Old 01-21-11, 10:57 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Buy some BMW wheels and Spacer and save yourself around 400$ Or just buy the XXr's I have a set of the 18x 10 +25 and they look great.
Old 01-21-11, 11:12 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stillfly45
Well after the XXR 521 obsession ive realized that our community loves good looking cheap wheels and i dont want someone to go out and buy these wheels before i make my decision. Ill post pics tho

^lol, those are Varrstoen wheels.

i'd say just buy the 5x112mm and use 25mm adapters /End Thread.
Old 01-21-11, 11:28 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What ^^ He said. OR...

The correct wheels are only $1050, just buy the correct size and stop being cheap. The wheels must be ****ty if there only $1050. Get some Volks or HREs, or Trafficstar.

I have nothing to contribute to your thread other than the economy is so bad right now you can find a used set of good quality wheels with tires that you can put some elbow grease on and come out rocken some sick shoes rather than those. Don't get me wrong those look good. They are a common style wheel. Do you think they would look nicer without a step lip? Like with a fat hella flush lip? They would look Dope Ruggish thuggish to da Bone yo.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Situation: Redrilling, wobble bolts, adapters, etc. for 5x112mm wheel.-bloglifetattoo.jpg