SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

First week in my 92 SC..few Questions/Comments

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 07:45 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First week in my 92 SC..few Questions/Comments

I've actually had the car for about a month, but I drove it back and forth to work last week and I started again this week.

For those of you that remember, I picked it up for $1000 and haven't done anything to it since, although it definitely needs the steering fixed, etc.

Questions:
1) I want to change the air filter, should I go OEM or is Fram/STP, etc. good enough?
2) I filled it up last week and I figure I'll end up getting 60 or so miles to the first 1/4 or a tank, does this seem normal? It is running rich, I need to change the sensors out, so we'll see. I figured I'd start with the air filter.
3) I know nobody likes the Naki stereo, but so far I do. The passenger rear speaker is out, do you know where I might be able to get one?

Comments:
The car is a blast to drive, although it is a bit scary with the steering all jacked up. I'll start work on that and other things at the end of this month and in February.

I took a picture of my motor. I haven't cleaned it or anything.
Attached Thumbnails First week in my 92 SC..few Questions/Comments-sc400-engine.jpg  
Old 01-18-11, 08:08 AM
CSSC400STL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as ur air filter I would put a k&n in there or do what I did nd put the k&n cone on there and remove the air filter box get a shield. If its burning gas fast then change out the sensors also. check your feul filter nd if it looks like it has never been changed do that to. Just do a full maintenance on the car and it should run really good
Old 01-18-11, 08:14 AM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

i love nakimichi speakers!
Old 01-18-11, 08:16 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

I'll probably put a CAI on at some point. Is the fuel filter easy to change and find? Is it a DIY?
The sensors are a bit expensive, also I want to run the codes first to see if they are all bad or just some.

As for the speakers, that makes two, but how can I get a good speaker?
Old 01-18-11, 08:40 AM
CSSC400STL
Pole Position

The fuel filter is a DYI. It is located on the driver side by the rear wheel. Juat get the sensors read and it will tell u which one is bad. Most likely it would be only 2 but to save the hassel in the future just change them all lol. As far as speakers kenwood is what I use they are really good
Old 01-18-11, 08:51 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WARNING!!!!! for some reason gas doesnt stop leaking when you change your fuel filter. I learned the hard way when i decided to change it with a full tank of gas leaving me with a tad over 3/4 of a tank when i put that last bit of torque onto my filter.

jack the front of your car and and have under a 1/4 tank if you decide to change it!

otherwise its easy
Old 01-18-11, 09:06 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Thanks! Is do I just drop in some Kenwoods for the Naki's in back? Buy a pair and replace the rear 2?

Also, I called Autozone and they said that they couldn't check the codes because of the year. Can I take it to a Toyota dealer? Where else can I take it? What should I expect to pay?

Is changing the sensors plug and play?
Old 01-18-11, 09:14 AM
CSSC400STL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iridebmx
WARNING!!!!! for some reason gas doesnt stop leaking when you change your fuel filter. I learned the hard way when i decided to change it with a full tank of gas leaving me with a tad over 3/4 of a tank when i put that last bit of torque onto my filter.

jack the front of your car and and have under a 1/4 tank if you decide to change it!

otherwise its easy
That I will have to agree with. Definitely make sure ur gas tank is not full or you will be taking a gasoline bath for however long it takes you to.change it lol. I also did the same and I was soked in gas but got the job done. Gets some wd40 you might need it also
Old 01-18-11, 11:00 AM
CSSC400STL
Pole Position

Call around to see if anyone has a obd1 that can read it. The dealer will charge you 70-100 dollars just to. The speakers shouldn't be that hard to replace
Old 01-18-11, 12:02 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

How about my first question about the air filter? For now I thought about a Fram/STP to put in the stock box.

Are there issues with that?
Old 01-18-11, 12:07 PM
CSSC400STL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tftimm
How about my first question about the air filter? For now I thought about a Fram/STP to put in the stock box.

Are there issues with that?
No there's not at all they work just like a normal air filter. Ho many miles is on your car
Old 01-18-11, 12:09 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

It's a 92 with 87K miles. It needs some TLC, but for $1K, I couldn't pass it up.
Old 01-18-11, 12:40 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Also, any advice on checking and changing rear brake/night-time-driving lights? Some of them are out, especially the night driving lights (that come on with the headlights).

Thanks
Old 01-18-11, 12:42 PM
Emilio253
Lead Lap

a 92 with 87k miles? I got my 92 with 266,000 miles for 2500 lol

good deal
Old 01-18-11, 12:50 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

But my steering is all jacked up and a bad oil leak. Look at my other posts, I posted some pictures.

The interior is honestly almost mint though.

Quick Reply: First week in my 92 SC..few Questions/Comments