SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What wheels will work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 05:17 AM
Chevyguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What wheels will work?

Howdy folks. My son has a Lexus SC400 with stock wheels on it. We recently discovered when he had a flat that someone had replaced the donut with "a" donut, so I had to make an emergency tire replacement for him until he could put back enough for new tires. We are replacing his tires this week, but will not be using the same tire that we replaced due to the flat a few months ago so we want to use this as a full size spare.

My question is, what other non-luxury makes can I look for other than Lexus that will fit his car? I tried the local salvage yard, but they wanted 100 bucks for a used steel wheel. I think there's a Lexus tax being applied to the wheel because they charge 20-40 dollars for stock steel wheels off domestics. We're not too hot on the idea of dropping a bill on a wheel that will spend 99 percent of its life under a piece of carpet. I also tried the search before posting, and didn't turn up anything related. The official wheel fitment guide link also didn't fit what I'm looking for. It's actually the post that turned up in my search and led me here. Thanks.

Oh yeah, also I'm glad to have found this site. I also found a post on the trans whine that seems to be caused by a worn trans mount. My son's car has the same problem, and that problem should soon be gone thanks to this site.

Last edited by Chevyguy; 01-17-11 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-17-11, 06:19 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

Almost any thing thats 5x114.3 will fit
Old 01-17-11, 09:44 AM
Chevyguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. This covers anything with a 5x4.5in wheel bolt pattern then, which covers most domestics.

Except...

I think I read something in here stating that they are hub-centric, is this true? If this is the case then the wheel would also need to be hub-centric and with the correct diameter center hole. So, does anyone know what non-luxury makes that have a stock 16 inch wheel that will interchange? Or is there a cross referencing site for Lexus/Toyota vehicles similar to **www dot compnine dot com** (eliminated the web format to eliminate the URL commonly associated with spam from new posters) for GM vehicles?

I know I'm a new guy and that usually new guy links are to spam, but I'm no spammer. The compnine site lets you drill down to find almost any GM part number, and lets you know what vehicles that specific part will fit. It's been a godsend on finding parts for my 89 Buick Reatta and my Chevy truck. There's no charge or anything associated with it, they make their money selling you the part once you find it.
Old 01-17-11, 09:59 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

You are correct that they are hubcentric; I believe it's 60.1 mm.
I don't know of a particular site like the one you mentioned, but something to consider (since this is just a spare) is that you don't necessarily have to keep to the 16" rim size as long as you keep a fairly consistent overall diameter (ie. bigger rim w/lower profile tire, or smaller rim w/taller profile tire). Also, the wheel wells are fairly large on the SC's and can accommodate a wide range of wheel offsets until you get up into some really wide tires.
Old 01-17-11, 06:13 PM
navazsc3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a mustang wheel
Old 01-18-11, 11:16 AM
Chevyguy
Driver School Candidate

We're wanting to keep the 16 inch wheel because the tire we are going to use as a spare is for a 16 inch wheel. It's a brand new tire and will go to waste otherwise. We're also keeping the stock wheels on the car. I don't mind helping him out with a set of tires, but if he wants fancy oversized wheels he's got a lot of saving ahead of him.

The Mustang has a 70.5mm hub diameter, at least the year I was able to find a diameter for which was the early 90s models. Is there a particular year that I need to look at? Or will it matter that much considering it'll be a spare?

Last edited by Chevyguy; 01-18-11 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-18-11, 12:57 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyguy
We're wanting to keep the 16 inch wheel because the tire we are going to use as a spare is for a 16 inch wheel. It's a brand new tire and will go to waste otherwise. We're also keeping the stock wheels on the car. I don't mind helping him out with a set of tires, but if he wants fancy oversized wheels he's got a lot of saving ahead of him.

The Mustang has a 70.5mm hub diameter, at least the year I was able to find a diameter for which was the early 90s models. Is there a particular year that I need to look at? Or will it matter that much considering it'll be a spare?
mustang wheels are cheap, wide and good offsets

as far as hubcentric goes, its not completely necessary, hubcentric rings are pretty cheap anyways. I ran my wheels a lil while without hubcentric rings for a while

as far as spare goes, i have a 16 inch spare with 55 wall tire and its the same size as my 19s with a 35 wall tire so i can use the 16 inch spare with my 19s

just on what ever sized wheels u get for the sc just match the rim and tire size to the overall size of the 16
Old 01-22-11, 05:59 AM
Chevyguy
Driver School Candidate

OK thanks, I'll look into the Mustang wheel for the boy's car, and perhaps pick up a hub centric ring for it. This is provided my dad doesn't find one where he is. He lives about 150 miles away, and is checking his local salvage yards too.

Last edited by Chevyguy; 01-22-11 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-22-11, 09:15 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chnk
as far as hubcentric goes, its not completely necessary, hubcentric rings are pretty cheap anyways. I ran my wheels a lil while without hubcentric rings for a while

Yes they are necessary!

"getting away with it" for a little while is a far cry from being correct. True, being just a spare, he can probably "get away with it" for a little while too, but I just didn't want to leave misinformation here that someone else may come across later.