SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Vehicle not registered to Seller. Can ownership transfer to me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 11:15 PM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought and sold over 60 cars.. there are a few things to look for.. on the title, as long as the "buyer" section is blank and you can fill in your name, then you are fine.. Now the dmv has fee's if you have taken a long time to register the car since it was sold to you... and since the car is being turned over to you without being registered by the last owner, you are accepting those fee's if there is a sell date filled out in the "seller/owner" section of the title. If the guy you bought the car from has put his name on anything on the title then you'll have to have him register the car before you can, pretty much anystate won't allow you to touch the title untill they have thier money from him. The bill of sale has little to nothing to do with this sale, cause honestly anyone can write a bill of sale, it's what is written on the title already. So again, as long as the guy you bought the car from has NOT filled out anything on the title and it IS blank for you to fill out your name then you are good. you just may end up with fee's cause the date of sell might already be filled out and that'd make you late on registering it.
Old 01-11-21, 01:57 PM
Riquelle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the exact problem I’m having in Alabama and here you would not be able to get it transferred to you
Old 01-13-21, 08:52 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Just did this recently. My older son had bought a '65 Corvair in 2017. The PO hadn't turned in the forms to the California DMV, so was still listed on the title. When I sold it in November, I simply entered the new buyer's name on the pink and told him to give me a ring if he had any issues. I'm following his progress in restoring the car, so I know he's had no issues getting it registered.