SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

are you guys aware of the need to replace your ECU capacitors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 12:59 PM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yauny
I had the same thing happen to me took ecu out on a friday noticed that 2 caps were leaking also this had already been repaired horrible I will say due to someone putting one of them in backwards. Will that do any damage to the ecu? I replaced caps properly and drove the car all day with no issues. Next morning turned it on and back to the old high rough idle and a surge idle bounces from 1300 to 1000 constantly in park and while driving feels like its not getting enough gas bucking sputtering like its missing. Haven't got the CEL check but am assuming its driver side cam sensor cuz that's where all the misses sound like they're coming from. Could the ecu be bad even tho I changed the 2 leaking caps. Also if the green coating is coming off the ecu board is that a bad thing? Thanks for any help
Best thing you can do to your ECU (other than replacing it with a known good one) is wiping the board from the remains of the acid that apparently leaked from the caps. This thread has some info on what liquid is best for that

Replacing the seemingly good caps is also a must, however this may not fix your problems as they may not only originate from faulty ECU
Old 04-22-15, 03:06 PM
simenau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yauny
I had the same thing happen to me took ecu out on a friday noticed that 2 caps were leaking also this had already been repaired horrible I will say due to someone putting one of them in backwards. Will that do any damage to the ecu? I replaced caps properly and drove the car all day with no issues. Next morning turned it on and back to the old high rough idle and a surge idle bounces from 1300 to 1000 constantly in park and while driving feels like its not getting enough gas bucking sputtering like its missing. Haven't got the CEL check but am assuming its driver side cam sensor cuz that's where all the misses sound like they're coming from. Could the ecu be bad even tho I changed the 2 leaking caps. Also if the green coating is coming off the ecu board is that a bad thing? Thanks for any help
That actually sounds identical to when my MAF went bad. Did you happen to wash your engine bay recently?
Old 07-17-15, 09:42 AM
baritoneg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dogwisper
This is actually a very easy repair. It is located right under the glove compartment.

Just disconnect battery, remove glove compartment under cover(2 clips), pull back carpet to reveal plastic ECU protector, remove the 2 screws that hold the protector in place and there is the ECU. One nut holds the ECU in place once the ECU is removed there is just one bolt on the back of it holding the harness in place.
Quick clean and easy. I've got a 92 SC400 mine went bad a few years ago with 180,000 miles on it symptoms were very hard start, ran pig rich belching black smoke, no idle, thought I lost her. Took it to Lexus to confirm it was the ECU. They said $1,200 plus labor. Originally replaced with a junk yard unit which lasted another year. I had mine rebuilt last year with a lifetime warranty for around $100. It is a cheap fix, this is a critical component that fails and it gives you future piece of mind. These cars are very durable but given that many are over 20 years old even things that don't frequently fail will fail in a car with electronics at this age. I live in Florida so the heat may have played a role. My advice is fix it and no worries down the road. Good Luck. Pat
Do you remember where you had your ECU fixed? I am having problems with my ECU and want to send it to a reliable person/company.
Old 09-01-16, 05:18 PM
BSlexus
Driver School Candidate

So like my 93 sc400 when you start it the cel with flash dimly, it's always ran rich and will not rev past 4500rpms. My best guess would be this compaciter issue, agreed?
Old 09-01-16, 09:05 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by BSlexus
So like my 93 sc400 when you start it the cel with flash dimly, it's always ran rich and will not rev past 4500rpms. My best guess would be this compaciter issue, agreed?
This is just one of many threads on this topic. A quick search will uncover many (too many) discussions along with links to several vendors that will re-build your ECU or you can attempt a DIY approach.....

Tanin is the most recent, preferred vendor.....

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/V...air-s/1892.htm