SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

rerally considering a 2uz swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-10, 12:05 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default rerally considering a 2uz swap

Now i've been extremely interested in doing a 2uz block swap on my 95 sc400.

I recently ran over a cement median in my sc https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post5991802

the upper oil pan is cracked, and he lower oil pan needs to be resealed. I looked into pulling out the upper oil pan, and well i have to either remove the subframe or pull out the motor to get to the upper oil pan,

both task are a pain and with my motor having over 300k clocked on it. I thought I might as well put in a lower mile motor

Originally I was gonna just put another 1uz in it, but with the 2uz being around the same ballpark(i hope), why not go wit the 2uz. So i've been doing alot of reading on the 2uz and swapping the motor using the search button. Now I know alot of these questions have been answered but its always nice to clarify or see if anyone has new info not said in an older thread. I'm also looking to see if this swap is what I'm looking for.

My idea and some background info to help answer my questions.
This is my DD and is probably gonna stay NA. Im not looking for 500 whp or anything like that, ill be happy with 300whp. I have roughly $1000 to spend and will be doing the labor myself along with help my my cousins who are toyota and lexus mechanics. This will be my first swap done by myself, im pretty comfortable working on cars and would like this to be a simple easy learning process.

So here is what I had to ask, . . . .
With some to little mechanic work and under supervision on some mechanics familiar with toyota and lexus cars, and access to a shop with lifts and tools, do you think this swap is doable within a week?

The blocks are pretty much interchangeable, excluding the motor mounts and pistons? meaning everything will pretty much bolt up including the stock sc transmission, being a non vvti 1uz of course.

Ino its not very well looked upon, but being in college im broke pretty much most of the time. Has anyone successfully machined the stock 2uz pistons to work with the heads of the 1uz? Also what compression did you get? Also with the 1uz rods and 2uz pistons will I have to look into re-balancing?

What compression should I look for in my NA DD, for most power and reliability?

Also i'm looking into this swap for mostly power and torque gains. With the motor being 82 pounds heavier, is the power gained worth the money invested? I plan on bolts ons later down the road, internals will remain stock with the 1uz rods and machined 2uz pistons. How much whp and torque will I probably have?

I'm seriously planning on bolting the 1uz head to the 2uz block keeping the stock 2uz accessories to it, with 1uz rods, machined 2uz pistons, anything else I might have to do?
Old 12-19-10, 12:23 AM
aporozco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive thought about this too, but just dropping the 2uz into the sc4. I think that'd be dope. but then again, i'm sure there's a reason no one has done it yet....
Old 12-19-10, 06:52 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without changing the pistons I am not sure it will work, Have you considered dropping in the complete 2uz?
Old 12-19-10, 04:29 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Without changing the pistons I am not sure it will work, Have you considered dropping in the complete 2uz?
I have but I dont want to mess with wiring, If the wiring is the same hell yes, but i doubt it. I posted this on lextreme but no one has answered my thread, i would really like to know if some had the stock pistons machined to match the 1uz pistons

also ill would have to drive around hood less for a while cause i dont think the intake will clear the hood

plus i think the 2uz revs to 4500 while the 1uz revs to 6500

Last edited by chnk; 12-19-10 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-19-10, 06:43 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to know too!!!
Old 12-20-10, 09:04 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait, hasn't this been done? Swapping a 2uz block with 1uz heads?
Old 12-20-10, 10:26 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
Wait, hasn't this been done? Swapping a 2uz block with 1uz heads?
it has, i'm trying to see if anyone has successfully gotten 2uz pistons milled to work with the 1uz heads,
Old 12-20-10, 11:18 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by chnk
it has, i'm trying to see if anyone has successfully gotten 2uz pistons milled to work with the 1uz heads,
Why would that matter? As long as you're not exchanging pistons in any way, the 2uz pistons will have the size relative to the 2uz's deck height. The head itself wouldn't have anything to do with pistons?
Old 12-20-10, 11:52 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Why would that matter? As long as you're not exchanging pistons in any way, the 2uz pistons will have the size relative to the 2uz's deck height. The head itself wouldn't have anything to do with pistons?
the pistons from the 1uz is shaped differently from the 2uz,
Old 12-20-10, 11:53 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by chnk
the pistons from the 1uz is shaped differently from the 2uz,
Okay I understand that, but those pistons are inside of the block. You're not swapping pistons are you? Just the whole block assembly?
Old 12-20-10, 12:07 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

just the whole block assembly, well the bottom block

and i would rather not change the pistons, i was also wondering if it was ok to just run the stock 2uz pistons unmilled to match the 1uz heads

Last edited by chnk; 12-20-10 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 12:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sometimes the difference from using a dished piston to using a regular piston can cause interference issues. I don't know if thats the case in this swap but piston type does play a major role in engines with tight clearances.

looks like it can be machined
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11012

post 5 "Ok so far my engine builder has machined my 2uz pistons flat to mate with my flat-edged 1uz heads. I promise to snap some pics next visit. The 1uz rods have had their oil clearances opened up a couple thousandths for better lubrication and cooling. I guess from the factory these things have half a thousandths clearance... that's waay too tight for boost IMHO. The heads have been resurfaced and the block re-decked with a fresh hone. The only real major step left is to balance everything once my hardware arrives. My builder said after a preliminary check on the crank it would need a special tungsten/nickel core to suit if the weight diesn't change with new ARP's, but it costs $100 more than standard balance job."

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-20-10 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 12:19 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I am sorry, but this is bad advice. This is why people should always be careful when taking in other people's opinions.

AFAIK, the 2UZ is an in interference engine, so the head (and consequently, the valves) would have everything to do with how it "mates" to the valve grooves in the pistons.

The OP is quite correct in looking into this matter.
So does anyone KNOW if the 1uz head and 2uz block are plug n play?
Old 12-20-10, 12:26 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
sometimes the difference from using a dished piston to using a regular piston can cause interference issues. I don't know if thats the case in this swap but piston type does play a major role in engines with tight clearances.

looks like it can be machined
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11012

post 5 "Ok so far my engine builder has machined my 2uz pistons flat to mate with my flat-edged 1uz heads. I promise to snap some pics next visit. The 1uz rods have had their oil clearances opened up a couple thousandths for better lubrication and cooling. I guess from the factory these things have half a thousandths clearance... that's waay too tight for boost IMHO. The heads have been resurfaced and the block re-decked with a fresh hone. The only real major step left is to balance everything once my hardware arrives. My builder said after a preliminary check on the crank it would need a special tungsten/nickel core to suit if the weight diesn't change with new ARP's, but it costs $100 more than standard balance job."
hmmm i might just have to take this to engine builder, all the info i found has been fr boosted motors, im not looking to boost just na with bolts and maybe a bottle

seems doable but im worried about negative compression loss and throwing everything off balanced

I'm doing research before hand right cause i can't source a 2uz in ga for some reason

Originally Posted by Mike552
I am sorry, but this is bad advice. This is why people should always be careful when taking in other people's opinions.

AFAIK, the 2UZ is an in interference engine, so the head (and consequently, the valves) would have everything to do with how it "mates" to the valve grooves in the pistons.

The OP is quite correct in looking into this matter.
So does anyone KNOW if the 1uz head and 2uz block are plug n play?
from what i read it pretty much is that straight forward of a swap

MORE info on the 1uz pistons and 2uz pistons
http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/viewtopic.php?t=1066
Old 12-20-10, 12:48 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

heres another good one for comparing the pistons.
http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Quick Reply: rerally considering a 2uz swap