SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking at a 92 SC400 w/83K miles...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 06:10 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at a 92 SC400 w/83K miles...

As I drove home this evening I noticed the SC400 I always look at was finally for sale. I found it odd, but here is what I found out. I am planning on taking it for a test drive sometime tomorrow hopefully.

1. 1992 SC400, burgandy on beige with Nakamichi radio although I saw an amp in the trunk when he lifted up to show me the spare tire. I checked the speakers (since from what i've read they can be bad) and went through balance and fade and they all seemed to be good except for rear passenger, only heard bass
2. Car starts right up, idled around 1200 or so for the 4-5 minutes I had it on
3. Radio and all lights worked, temperature gauge light flickered a bit
4. AC/heat worked good, windows worked, locks, moonroof etc.
5. Car is stock, on stock wheels, etc.
6. There are some scratches and dings on the front bumper, hood, paint is fading on spoiler, etc., but for an 18 year old car, that's to be expected
7. Owner has title in hand
8. Motor was very clean, although couldn't check for fluids since it was night time
9. Car only has about 83,000 miles, is owned by a college student from India who is graduating from grad school and since he will be moving to New Jersey, is going to sell the car rather than drive it there. Car was purchased when he arrived in the US in San Antonio
10. struts are out on the hood (no biggie from what I've read)
11. He mentioned something about the passenger door, that he would get it fixed
12. Does not come with a CD changer, he said the previous owner never sent it to him. Changer box was in the trunk, but I guess he didn't have the box

Biggest concerns:
1) Is that a normal idle speed in park, 11-1200?
2) Check engine light came on, he said that if you drive it for a bit, it goes out
3) Car sounded smooth upon start up but it sounded like a corvette when I started it up (dad had 96) with the deep throaty sound. Exhaust didn't smell, but I thought it would be a little quieter like my RX330? I didn't close the door, that was my impression while sitting inside with the door open.

The big question, price...asking $3,700 and has title in hand.

I'm planning on taking it for a test drive, maybe tomorrow. Since he is graduating in a couple weeks, what would be a good price to offer? It has low miles, interior is clean (with exception of 6" tear in the middle of drivers seat), leather is in very good shape.

Thoughts? Please, give me any advice and what you think would be reasonable if everything seems normal during test drive.

Can a Toyota dealer check it out? Lexus is 150 miles away, but Toyota is within 5, especially to find out what the check engine light is...
Old 11-28-10, 06:25 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

great deal ---take it now
Old 11-28-10, 06:29 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Even with the check engine light and the RMP's (is that normal).

I don't really need the car, but the wife said offer them $3K. I'll drive it tomorrow and go from there.

I'll take a picture of it too...
Old 11-28-10, 06:35 PM
dreamsc300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people are selling there sc's with 200k for four grand where i live.
Old 11-28-10, 06:41 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would buy it. I love my 1992. It had a few problems, but they are all fixed now. It had 133k.
Old 11-28-10, 06:41 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Keep in mind, its got scratches on the hood, bumper, the lower fog light is cracked and from the pictures, the plastic cover over the engine isn't there. Having said that, the engine looked clean.

If the transmission checks out and the car is solid, I'm going to make an offer. The tires seemed OK and I'll check the brakes.

The student just used it to go back and forth to school. He seemed like an honest guy although I don't know how much maintenance was done.

I guess I want a reason not to buy it. My wife knows I have wanted an SC since we got our RX.

With such low mileage, I doubt much could be wrong. I probably need to changed the timing belt and water pump.

My plan:
1) Drive it
2) Run carfax on VIN
3) Call Lexus for records (if they have any)

If all checks out, I'll buy it...
Old 11-28-10, 07:01 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tftimm
My wife knows I have wanted an SC since we got our RX.
If all checks out, I'll buy it...
your wife is giving you a chance to buy it. not many wives would encourage it.

do what you're planned, but buy it. use what you have found in the reports to haggle.
Old 11-28-10, 07:05 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tftimm

8. Motor was very clean, although couldn't check for fluids since it was night time

9. Car only has about 83,000 miles, is owned by a college student ...

10. struts are out on the hood (no biggie from what I've read)

11. He mentioned something about the passenger door, that he would get it fixed

Biggest concerns:
1) Is that a normal idle speed in park, 11-1200?
2) Check engine light came on, he said that if you drive it for a bit, it goes out
3) Car sounded smooth upon start up but it sounded like a corvette when I started it up (dad had 96) with the deep throaty sound. Exhaust didn't smell, but I thought it would be a little quieter like my RX330? I didn't close the door, that was my impression while sitting inside with the door open.

... interior is clean (with exception of 6" tear in the middle of drivers seat), leather is in very good shape.

Thoughts? Please, give me any advice and what you think would be reasonable if everything seems normal during test drive.

Can a Toyota dealer check it out? Lexus is 150 miles away, but Toyota is within 5, especially to find out what the check engine light is...
My biggest concern for you on this car is to learn about it maintenance history. The fact that it only has 83k miles is irrelevant if it's owner is a low budget college student who's been driving it into the ground. Looking at the things on your list, it doesn't sound like he's kept up the maintenance on it. How long has he been the owner... both by mileage and time?? A check engine light could be no biggie, but it could also be a pending repair bill for the next owner; why didn't he take care of it??? It's probably due for a timing belt/ WP change just by age. I would definitely look at the color/condition of all the fluids in the car (motor oil, tranny fluid, engine coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid); have they been changed? Does he have any real routine maintenance records other that an odd wrinkled oil change receipt here or there? Is the exhaust modified or damaged. Is it going to pass smog? When you drive it, be sure and listen/feel for clunks and bumps in the suspension; I would expect steering rack and/or lower control arm bushings might be on the menu soon, and shocks too. Also, pay close attention to the starter. Is it working fine? A replacement job could cost about 1/3 to 1/2 what that car is worth. A good dealership can always look at a car that's outside of what they sell, but then again you might want to look into an independent who specializes in Lexus instead.

Not trying to scare you off from the car, it may very well be a good car, but it's such an awful thing to pay good money to buy into someone else's maintenance nightmare. The correct pricing is only possible once you know better what you're looking at.

BTW, don't rely on a Carfax report too much. So many times stuff doesn't show up on them. They are only a cursory check at best.

Last edited by good2go; 11-28-10 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 07:06 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

That's my plan, please keep an eye out. I'm going to test drive it tomorrow and while I'm on the test drive I'm going to take some pictures.

If everything checks out, I'm going to make an offer and begin negotiating.
Old 11-28-10, 07:07 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Earlier SC's did not come with a plastic engine cover.

The SC is naturally going to have a "throaty" exhaust note compared to your RX330. I'd check to see that all of the exhaust is stock; no crappy welds etc. The SC4 has a nice sounding exhaust for stock.

As for the check engine light, take it to any Autozone and they'll run it for free so you can determine whether it's going to be a cheap or expensive fix.

Sounds like a decent deal. We need pix!

I'm guessing you're in San Antonio?
Old 11-28-10, 07:10 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Thanks for the comments good2go. When I test drive it, I will check fluids and see about maintenance. I will also find out how long he owned the car. It has been atleast a couple of years, but I will find out for sure.

On the test drive I will drive it without the radio and just listen. I do that with my current RX and it drives my wife crazy, so hopefully my overly caution ear will help in case I hear anything.

The exhaust looked and seemed stock to be honest. I guess I'm not use to a V8...
Old 11-28-10, 07:12 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

I'm actually in Laredo, although I buy all my vehicles in San Antonio, including my RX.

I'll be sure to include Autozone in my test drive.

You all are great, thanks for all the advice and feel free to keep in coming...
Old 11-28-10, 07:14 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Oh I forgot to mention - if you get the VIN #, you can go on Lexus.com and view all of the service history that has been performed at a lexus dealer for free.
Old 11-28-10, 07:18 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Cool, I'll be sure to do that then. If the drive goes well, I'll come back here and maybe leave a "refundable" deposit while I check the Carfax, VIN, records, etc.
Old 11-29-10, 08:17 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Default Update...

I'll be test driving it tomorrow. As I mentioned, he is working on his graduate degree and will be at the university till late tonight. He told me to pick a time tomorrow. I picked 8:30am and will be test driving it then. It'll be interesting to start it up after a long night.

Quick question, how are the headlights on the car, high beams, fog lights, etc.? Also, where is the control for the fog lights?

He left early this morning and didn't get a chance to take any pictures or get the VIN. I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

I called to check on insurance and they said about $30/mos plus a second vehicle discount which I didn't think was that bad at all.

Waiting sucks!

Quick Reply: Looking at a 92 SC400 w/83K miles...