SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking at a 92 SC400 w/83K miles...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 06:14 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll find another for around $4-5k with less headaches and in better condition on these forums. Be patient and pick a good one
Old 11-30-10, 06:31 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were totally confident that you knew exactly what all was wrong with the car and confident you could fix it yourself for a bargain, then it might be do-able, but considering this was your first time in an SC . . . I'd say WALK AWAY!!!!
Old 11-30-10, 07:13 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldnt jump on this ride not knowing the actual problems about the dash lights. You'll definately will need to replace and repaint the front bumper, all that cost money. Just by looking at the vehicle overall I would say its not a well taken care of vehicle, I am sorry I'd rather tell you the truth than you loosing 3gs.
Just like Tabaka said, you can get a beter car for a little more or even close to 3500.
Good luck
Old 12-01-10, 08:10 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I'd run as far as I can in the other direction from this car. That exterior looks pretty ratty. No wonder why it's nearly a year behind on inspection!
Old 12-01-10, 08:33 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang. Sorry you wont be getting her. Maybe SA or Austin.
Old 12-08-10, 07:51 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I told the guy to see me if he hadn't sold it by the end of the semester and I'd make an offer. Well, the semester should be ending by the end of the week.

If he came to me, what do you think I should offer him? I was thinking no more than $1,500 as is. I figure for another $2,500 I should be able to get it into a real nice car. Many of the steering components are on E-Bay, so it would just be a matter of a mechanic taking a look at it and telling me when I need.

I'd take it to a mechanic and get the steering issue checked out and get the lights on the dash checked out.

I know it needs some work, but with such low miles, a solid engine and tranny, and a fairly well maintained interior, it might not be a bad pickup for $1,500 or so. I know inspection, etc. isn't up to par, but he has only driven it back and forth to school. I personally don't think he knows anything about cars and is probably looking to dump it so he doesn't have to haul it to Dallas or NY, wherever he gets his next job.
Old 12-08-10, 07:40 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Sorry to keep bumping this to the top, but should I make a super low ball offer of like $1500? He seemed ready to negotiate and I don't think he wants to take it with him.

I'd take it to a shop first and get steering looked at and the suspension checked out (although it felt fine, it just made a noise) to find out what that would cost to fix and then get them to run the computer on the lights. If it is a couple thousand dollars to fix, I was thinking about showing him the estimates and offer him $1-1,500 and see what he says. Even if I have to put $2500 in the car, I could end up with a 92 SC400 w/85K miles for $4K. $2500 gives me money to fix quite a bit. I drove the car around town and the only problem was the steering issue. Car idled great, sounded good, power seemed to be there (can't really compare).

What do you think? I think if I could get it for $2K or less it might be worth a chance. I want a second vehicle and the other option is a $500 99 Taurus that more than likely has transmission problems. Before i check that out I need to change the water pump.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-10, 10:14 PM
Inspiredm3
Driver

if you get it for 1500 to 2k i would grab it. I dont think it should cost you more than another 2k to get it sitting very solid
Old 12-08-10, 10:56 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind thats what they are asking. Use what you know from here to your advantage (negotiate price to match repair costs) unless. Then maybe offer...
Old 12-08-10, 11:08 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Bring 2k in cash and offer it to him. Its hard to resist cash
Old 12-09-10, 06:21 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

That's my plan, I'll bring the cash with me or tell him I can get it in 5 minutes (bank is 500 yards from the complex where he and I live.

I'll give him a call today and see if how bad he wants to sell it. I definitely don't want to pay for than $2K unless the repairs are minor.
Old 12-09-10, 01:06 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

I'm going to take it for a second test drive tonight. He has a CarFax, it has always been a Texas car, 4 owner, clean blue title (saw the title).

He got the car registered, the oil was recently changed (I checked that out) and the passsenger door is fixed and works perfectly.

He said when he got the oil changed, they told him it was the bushings that were causing the steering problems, but I want an expert opinion before I buy it.

He started it up to check the turn signal lights, brake lights, headlights, etc. and everything worked (2 of the brake lights were out, yet the other 4 were working...small detail). The car sounded solid.

I pulled open the hood and the engine looked clean...it always looked clean, but I looked at it closely and it seemed spotless.

I might offer $2200 and see what he says. That gives me $1800 to fix the steering, noise up front, and engine light.

We'll see...
Old 12-09-10, 03:30 PM
supshaw
Driver School Candidate

BUY it! I had one SC with 297K and SOLD it. I have a 93 SC400 with 87K now which I just spent a fortune on; new leather front seats, new wires and plugs, new 19" staggered wheels/tires, and it's worth every cent. Still the best quality car I ever owned. My wife has a new LS 460, my son owns a 2002 GS400, and while all are great cars, The SC is just special.
Old 12-09-10, 03:32 PM
supshaw
Driver School Candidate

I'll buy the car if you don't.
Old 12-09-10, 07:26 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Haha, well, the carfax is clean, no wrecks, 4 owners, etc. Tomorrow I'm going to take it on a test drive with someone who's got an SC300 and SC400 to get their opinion and then make an offer.

If I get it, you CL guys will be the first to know and thank.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 92 SC400 w/83K miles...