SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What did you do to your SC today?

Old 07-15-15, 09:31 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by jennie
Thanks for the info! Never knew that was an issue with our cars but I guess most people aren't as lucky to have the 98+ SCs. So...how long did it take to do the repair?
It took me 2 days, but a lot of that time was spent under the car with degreaser, rags, and multiple toothbrushes to clean off the grime. If I needed the car back on the road asap, then I could take it a part and reassemble in 1 day. It's basically just a timing belt job with a few more (tiring) steps.

The part I messed up on was trying to remove the cam gears after the timing belt was off. I made the cam move while I was trying to break torque. Removing the cam gear bolt is definitely a 2 person job.
Old 07-16-15, 07:40 AM
Deimus85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hooked my GoPro to my front bumper to test it out.

Some more from the other night (on my windshield):

Old 07-16-15, 09:51 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Deimus85

I love these
Old 07-16-15, 01:01 PM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 SC300 w/VVT-I Gear

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My car was a combination of vvt-i gear and valve cover gasket, but most of the oil leaking on my car was the vvt-i gear. The vvt-i gear is the biggest problem on 98+ SC300 because they start to go bad around 120-150k miles. It basically leaks oil and spits it everywhere on the engine while its running.

My valve cover gasket was leaking too, but that was negligible. If your valve cover is leaking there will be oil in the spark plug valley which will eventually damage the boots on the spark plug coil packs if left for a long time.

To give you an idea of how much of a mess vvt-i can cause: My water pump and serpentine belt tensioner were brand new about 10k miles ago. The frame rail and my shock tower used to be white too. If you look on the upper radiator hose it has an area with oil that lands on it.

With the cover removed you can see oil just sits inside on the level surfaces.

Without looking at your car in person I would guess its just your vvt-i gear causing a mess. A leaking head gasket would cause the car to run really funny and eventually there will be signs of oil on your coolant.
I have a 99 SC300 w/VVT-I Gear and see oil leaking around the front cover. Also, I see oil splattered on a few other areas. So, now I know what I need to get fixed.

Thanks for the post
Old 07-16-15, 02:37 PM
jennie
Pole Position

It took me 2 days, but a lot of that time was spent under the car with degreaser, rags, and multiple toothbrushes to clean off the grime. If I needed the car back on the road asap, then I could take it a part and reassemble in 1 day. It's basically just a timing belt job with a few more (tiring) steps.

The part I messed up on was trying to remove the cam gears after the timing belt was off. I made the cam move while I was trying to break torque. Removing the cam gear bolt is definitely a 2 person job.
Originally Posted by Gee44
I have a 99 SC300 w/VVT-I Gear and see oil leaking around the front cover. Also, I see oil splattered on a few other areas. So, now I know what I need to get fixed.

Thanks for the post
Do either of you hear faint gurgling/bubbling from the front sometimes when first starting the engine? I'm wondering if it's related or if I just have air in my coolant. I don't think I have a BHG because the car runs fine.
Old 07-17-15, 11:07 AM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Do either of you hear faint gurgling/bubbling from the front sometimes when first starting the engine? I'm wondering if it's related or if I just have air in my coolant. I don't think I have a BHG because the car runs fine.
No, I don't hear any gurgling/bubbling noises when first starting up.
Old 07-17-15, 12:44 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Washed and waxed like I do every Friday.. I think it's time to pony up and have it wet sanded and fully detailed for once. :/
Old 07-17-15, 05:17 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deimus85

Pretty cool shots I know those bridges daily crossings for me
Old 07-18-15, 08:20 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee44

Thanks for the post
I'm glad I could help. I actually bought the vvt-i gear from a vendor on amazon for a lot cheaper than the dealership was asking, so if you're interested in replacing it soon I would suggest looking up the part number on amazon.

Nope, no gurgling sound. I just have some slight chatter from the valves, but that should get quieter with a valve adjustment.

Bleeding the cooling system is fairly easy, so I would suggest doing it to see if the problem goes away.
Old 07-18-15, 12:26 PM
jennie
Pole Position

I'm glad I could help. I actually bought the vvt-i gear from a vendor on amazon for a lot cheaper than the dealership was asking, so if you're interested in replacing it soon I would suggest looking up the part number on amazon.

Nope, no gurgling sound. I just have some slight chatter from the valves, but that should get quieter with a valve adjustment.

Bleeding the cooling system is fairly easy, so I would suggest doing it to see if the problem goes away.
Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-18-15, 03:30 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Nothing.

But I vacuum-bagged two new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80s. Gonna store them in the shed until Winter comes around.

Old 07-18-15, 06:11 PM
MackOnDeez
Driver

Originally Posted by GISguy
Nothing.

But I vacuum-bagged two new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80s. Gonna store them in the shed until Winter comes around.

hah at the "nothing" comment...

vacuuming your rubbers is something!

you actually just reminded me to do that to a set i have in the garage!

so you did more than you kno with this post! thank you!
Old 07-18-15, 08:03 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Changed the oil and resealed one of the headlights today. I'll hopefully get around to cleaning the interior tomorrow.
Old 07-19-15, 03:11 AM
MackOnDeez
Driver

Had a bad led brake light on the spoiler so I swapped that out! (safety of course )

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Both are OEM w/ toyota labeled on the plastic housing. yet much different in lighting.

I don't know why the before LED lights were so bright, but I didn't like the fact it looked cheap like aftermarket tail light LED cheezy.
The much subtle ones I feel match the tailights much better. (full across the board, camera phone made it looks gapped but its all there)

Last edited by MackOnDeez; 07-19-15 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-19-15, 11:02 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Changed the oil and resealed one of the headlights today. I'll hopefully get around to cleaning the interior tomorrow.
Saw your instagram post. Looked like it was raining on your exposed headlight harness while the housing was out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?