SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What did you do to your SC today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 11:03 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took apart my retrofit and tried to make a shroud for the projectors. It started much bigger than this and I cut and cut it down with my dremel until it was nearly nothing and it still wouldn't fit. I don't think these headlights will ever fit a decent projector shroud, best bet is a ring at most.

Also cleaned up my retrofit, fixed a broken connector with some JB weld and re-sealed the housing properly so no more leaks.

Old 07-11-15, 07:11 PM
Evans4g63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did you do to your SC today?

Installed my LS400 BBK today and adjusted ride height...
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your SC today?-photo728.jpg   What did you do to your SC today?-photo453.jpg  
Old 07-11-15, 07:58 PM
Powerline
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a oil change.
Old 07-12-15, 01:08 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Love the stance man!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jennie
Mine looks like that and I have oil leaking from the head gasket... now I'm scared
Can you see oil seeping out where the block and head meet? Maybe its just grime coming down from a leaking valve cover. My engine bay and under my car were basically covered in oil and grime from the valve cover and vvt-i gear.
Old 07-13-15, 06:27 AM
Deimus85
Driver School Candidate

Drove her to paintball yesterday and enjoyed some nice highway driving.
Old 07-13-15, 07:49 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Replaced my transmission mount. The old one fell apart as I unbolted.

And then 1 of the 4 12mm bolts that holds the mount to the transmission broke, and now I'm gonna have to drill it out.
Old 07-14-15, 06:08 AM
Deimus85
Driver School Candidate

Hooked my GoPro to my outer windshield and front bumper to play around with night lapse and video modes. Pretty excited to drive during sunset or sunrise with this thing. Had a little chase with a Mr. Dos.
Old 07-14-15, 09:10 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 07-14-15, 10:34 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Can you see oil seeping out where the block and head meet? Maybe its just grime coming down from a leaking valve cover. My engine bay and under my car were basically covered in oil and grime from the valve cover and vvt-i gear.
Mine is exactly as how you just described it... Was your just a leaking valve cover?
Old 07-15-15, 01:53 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil change and SC Service Sticker

Thanks EMS!

Old 07-15-15, 07:50 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Got some 97+ tails in the mail. Will slap them on this weekend.
Old 07-15-15, 05:58 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by jennie
Mine is exactly as how you just described it... Was your just a leaking valve cover?
My car was a combination of vvt-i gear and valve cover gasket, but most of the oil leaking on my car was the vvt-i gear. The vvt-i gear is the biggest problem on 98+ SC300 because they start to go bad around 120-150k miles. It basically leaks oil and spits it everywhere on the engine while its running.

My valve cover gasket was leaking too, but that was negligible. If your valve cover is leaking there will be oil in the spark plug valley which will eventually damage the boots on the spark plug coil packs if left for a long time.

To give you an idea of how much of a mess vvt-i can cause: My water pump and serpentine belt tensioner were brand new about 10k miles ago. The frame rail and my shock tower used to be white too. If you look on the upper radiator hose it has an area with oil that lands on it.

With the cover removed you can see oil just sits inside on the level surfaces.

Without looking at your car in person I would guess its just your vvt-i gear causing a mess. A leaking head gasket would cause the car to run really funny and eventually there will be signs of oil on your coolant.
Old 07-15-15, 06:06 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Installed rear window visor. Thought it'd be interesting to see an SC with both a sunroof and rear visor, so I installed both. A bit bulky, just for grins.

Old 07-15-15, 07:49 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My car was a combination of vvt-i gear and valve cover gasket, but most of the oil leaking on my car was the vvt-i gear. The vvt-i gear is the biggest problem on 98+ SC300 because they start to go bad around 120-150k miles. It basically leaks oil and spits it everywhere on the engine while its running.

My valve cover gasket was leaking too, but that was negligible. If your valve cover is leaking there will be oil in the spark plug valley which will eventually damage the boots on the spark plug coil packs if left for a long time.

To give you an idea of how much of a mess vvt-i can cause: My water pump and serpentine belt tensioner were brand new about 10k miles ago. The frame rail and my shock tower used to be white too. If you look on the upper radiator hose it has an area with oil that lands on it.

With the cover removed you can see oil just sits inside on the level surfaces.

Without looking at your car in person I would guess its just your vvt-i gear causing a mess. A leaking head gasket would cause the car to run really funny and eventually there will be signs of oil on your coolant.
Thanks for the info! Never knew that was an issue with our cars but I guess most people aren't as lucky to have the 98+ SCs. So...how long did it take to do the repair?
Old 07-15-15, 07:53 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Rebuilt PS pump (easy) and installed it with a driftmotion 2000 PSI power steering line. (Super easy) While installing it I had some questions about the old vacuum lines and what to do with them when putting it all together. so I called them and they walked me through the whole process, giving me a heads upon some installation tips. Seriously those guys are amazing, i'm a customer for life.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?