SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What did you do to your SC today?

Old 06-03-15, 04:54 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
can the silver underneath be polished?
You're talking about the B-pillars? I believe it's stainless steel and pretty much polished already once you chip away the remaining black coating. That was one of the first things I did with the car, since the pillars were a pretty rough sight. Full polished looks a lot better than faded, chipped away black, but all-black like from the factory is definitely best.
Old 06-04-15, 03:16 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Started last night and finished this morning, re-replaced the rack & pinion, swapped the Supra front LCAs, replaced craptastic hydro fan and P/S hoses. The lower P/S hose was so bad, it literally had to be chipped away. Didn't have time to work on the oil housing gasket. The SS brake lines also arrived today. Now to get the alignment done again...

The front end is noticeably more solid feeling with the stiffer bushings and better ball joints of the Supra LCAs. I was paying attention to the R&P (the godawful noise as air is worked through the system) and forgot the LCAs were also done; took me a minute to realize why it felt so different!

Originally Posted by t2d2
Whirlwind week; in no particular order...

- Got Lance Alignment done now that wheel selection is finalized & Supra rear sway is on.
- Bought used Apexi Neo to go with my new, not yet installed AEM Wideband.
- Ghetto painted trunk/spoiler. Re-sealed spoiler lip & new bolt hole gaskets.
- Worked (and temporarily failed) on tail light disassembly. Put spare, partially damaged, non-leaky light on for now.
- Bought Techna-Fit stainless steel brake lines.
- Bought replacement driver's door glass + new belt line mouldings.
- Prepped (braced) better condition interior window trim for swapping along w/ window.
- Ordered my third Rack & Pinion in the past year (#1 arrived broken, #2 has bad seal). Ugh.
- Getting R&P and Supra front LCAs swapped next week, plus hydro fan hoses and oil filter housing leaks addressed.
- Designed and patented (!) the stationary aero foil for cabin cooling/sheltering.
- Picked up fiberglass supplies to finally tackle my hood vent mockup.
Old 06-04-15, 06:13 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Added tint, new whiles/tires (you'll never guess where thry came from!), and a little exterior cleaning.....

Old 06-05-15, 04:03 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't leave us in suspense!
Old 06-05-15, 10:57 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

When going to Dillian's on Sunday for him to deep clean the seats, had the battery light come on and a few other strange things that cleared after about a mile. Suspected the alternator and made arrangements to get it looked at and expected to replace it. On Wednesday morning (the day of the appointment) the car was totally "dark" with no electric power whatsoever. Jumped it but it barely started and would not stay running.

Swapped in a new battery which was good enough to drive it to the shop today and the 23 year old alternator was replaced. All good now.....
Old 06-05-15, 03:54 PM
ValiantSc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pulled the torque converter off the old motor and mounted to the new(ish) one messed up and miss stepped on my wiring harness i worked on all last night while watching the Nba finals and crushed a couple plugs....
Old 06-05-15, 05:21 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought a parts car...or project...honestly I'm not sure what I want to do with this one. Same exact color combo as my 96, but this is a 95 so I can mod the hell out of it and never worry about an inspection. The body is clean, one super small ding over the right side rear tire. Never notice it without being told it exists. Was a TX/FL car so no rust underneath which is rare in NY. Some small scratches but I'm sure they'll buff out. Overall it looks great and it isn't even clean yet.

Unknown 18's on it, and best of all brand spanking new BC Coilovers... Also 3 spoke wheel, HID's all around, 97+ tinted tails, new cheap Pioneer radio and speakers. The interior isn't as clean as I'd like, but it's not bad either. Trunk full of parts too, LS400 Hubs, a caliper, new bushings of all sorts for sway bar, control arms, etc....

The engine won't start and at 190K I don't want to play with it much. I think the tranny is dead too, but I don't know for sure. I think it's a bad ECU, but I gotta get some time with it, I don't want to dump money into it. In the engine bay it was missing 4 fuses, but swapping them from my other car didn't help. I gotta do the paper clip trick and count the blinking lights and find out what codes it's throwing. It's a shame because my 96 runs and drives like new but needs body work, this car doesn't run or drive and has a clean body... Tough decisions.

Pics.

Old 06-05-15, 07:32 PM
GBulls
Driver School Candidate

I'm debating which way to go with that, myself. I'm hoping self-etching primer will allow paint to adhere and hold up well. On the other hand, vinyl wraps don't have the greatest longevity when exposed to the weather. The 3M stuff seems pretty good, but everything else is measured in years you can count on one hand.
I painted the columns with flat black Krylon spray paint. It already had the primer mixed in and they came out really nice. Only mistake I made was not completely sanding the whole column down to the metal. If you look real close you can see where I did not sand the original paint (rubber?) off. Rookie error! But they still turned out A LOT better than before.
Old 06-05-15, 07:50 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GBulls
I painted the columns with flat black Krylon spray paint. It already had the primer mixed in and they came out really nice. Only mistake I made was not completely sanding the whole column down to the metal. If you look real close you can see where I did not sand the original paint (rubber?) off. Rookie error! But they still turned out A LOT better than before.
I actually just tackled it today. Pic at the bottom of this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post8929027

I had already completely scraped the badly faded coating off last year. I lightly scuffed the shiny metal and hit it with a couple coats of self-etching primer, then BBQ Black spray paint. It turned out fantastic, which is for sure the first time I've ever said that about a painting project.

How long have you had yours done? Durability is the part I'm most curious about, since that's where I always grab the door.
Old 06-05-15, 08:03 PM
GBulls
Driver School Candidate

I actually just tackled it today. Pic at the bottom of this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post8929027

I had already completely scraped the badly faded coating off last year. I lightly scuffed the shiny metal and hit it with a couple coats of self-etching primer, then BBQ Black spray paint. It turned out fantastic, which is for sure the first time I've ever said that about a painting project.

How long have you had yours done? Durability is the part I'm most curious about, since that's where I always grab the door.
I just painted them this morning. I guess it will be a while before I know how it stands up to Mother Nature! LOL. Sorry I don't have any pics. Busy day, maybe later. But I bought Krylon paint from local auto supply and it said it was for autos. Keep my fingers crossed!
Old 06-05-15, 08:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GBulls
I just painted them this morning. I guess it will be a while before I know how it stands up to Mother Nature! LOL. Sorry I don't have any pics. Busy day, maybe later. But I bought Krylon paint from local auto supply and it said it was for autos. Keep my fingers crossed!
I've never had luck with that level of stuff not fading pretty bad... Clear coat might help. I don't think I would trust a primer + paint all-in-one, based on what I've read from the experts. Good luck, though.
Old 06-06-15, 07:49 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Swapped in my is300 steering wheel, and threw the sapporo **** on for a meet

And changing my rears from vsxx to wider vsmx

Old 06-06-15, 09:26 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I brought it out to a local car meet and broke a ton of necks with my new wheels. The car is only half way finished but I threw my new wheels on anyway. My LS430's windshield cracked really bad last week so I've driving the SC everywhere now.
Old 06-07-15, 07:02 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

My 2jzgte daily driver just got 20" wheels. They will be there till the twins konk out and am on BPU on this car . Still currently at around 430rwhp at 17psi on the 550cc / Apexi AFC. The rubber on the wheels can still put down the power on the road anyway. Once I start pushing it beyond 500rwph , 18s with drag radials will take their place . But by then it should be on aftermarket ECU, twins or single since i can't push the JDM twins beyond where they are right now or they will start to fall apart.

20"s on a properly lowered SC do not really look bad even without a body kit which initially I thought will look retarded. This car do not even have coilovers.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-07-15 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-07-15, 03:45 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Replaced the double o-ring gasket for the oil filter housing. That seems to have been the source of my leak, but time will tell if it was the lone problem... The old gasket was totally flat, so if you're experiencing any leaks around the filter on your SC400, give that a try. Most places list it for $1 or less, but I bought ti through the local Toyota dealership for $2.99; still a nice, cheap fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?