SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bumpers and Skirts and Body kits, Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 02:35 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumpers and Skirts and Body kits, Oh My!

Im having some troubles figuring all this body kit stuff out since Ive only ever had trucks and suv's and have never dealt with them before, so any help or advise would be much appreciated.

First of all, I really want to do a wide body because the previous owner apparently clipped a couple concrete posts and scratched up both rear fenders (hardly noticable but it still bugs me) and I figured that since I was gonna fix them anyways, why not make them better?
Now all i really want is some wide body fenders because all of the full kits have hideous front bumpers but I've been looking up and down the internet for a weeks now and I cant find any wide body rear fenders, I can find front fenders galore but nothing for the rear. And also, this might be a dumb question but has anyone done fender flares and would that might be a better option?
Also, Im not really sure whats good and whats not. Ive read a lot about knock off brands but some of the online stores can be a bit misleading. So what should I be looking for and what knock off brands are decent enough to work and look good?

Also, aside from the wide body fenders, all I really want to do is just a lip kit and an oem 97+ front bumper. Is this even possible to do with wide body?

And finally, where is a good place to buy? I dont really like buying from online stores without getting a good recomendation first (ive been scammed to many times)

Thanks
Old 10-28-10, 04:34 PM
240sxrb30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try aerokits.net if u don't have the coin for a real authentic kit bro. If u do have the money look in the classified section vendors for luxury mod. Talk to him bout the vertex wb kit.
Old 10-28-10, 04:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I am also in the market for a good quality replica or knock off kit----------Im looking forward to hearing some responses on where to get a good one for a reasonable price.

Im not going widebody like the o.p but I think i do want a full kit .
Old 10-28-10, 06:27 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure you probably already saw this but in case you didn't there is hella much info there.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ck-thread.html
Old 10-28-10, 06:28 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Actually, since Ive been pondering the look I want, I think Im leaning more towards fender flares and give it kind of an AMG Black kinda look. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Bumpers and Skirts and Body kits, Oh My!-mercedes-benz-sl-65-amg-black-series.jpg  
Old 10-28-10, 06:44 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lfrers
I'm sure you probably already saw this but in case you didn't there is hella much info there.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ck-thread.html
Ya I did but that thread is so old a lot of the places people bought their kits from are now out of business. And it would have been nice if everyone had posted a pic of the kit they bought.
Old 10-28-10, 06:53 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

that thread looks like it can be very useful for reference,,,,thanks

I think i want to go the 97+ oem route----i like original parts and quality----
Old 10-28-10, 06:59 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Have you considered just getting the 97 kit and fixing the damage to the rear fenders when you paint/install?
Old 10-28-10, 07:47 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kwg
Have you considered just getting the 97 kit and fixing the damage to the rear fenders when you paint/install?
Yep, it crossed my mind once or twice lol. What originally got me in this mess was when I saw a 97+ SC for the first time up close and realized how much better it looked, then when I got home that night and looked it up, not only was the kit hard to find but way to expensive. If Im gonna spend that kind of money on my car it going to be in the engine bay. All I really want is just a rear bumper lip, some decent side skirts, maybe an oem 97+ front bumper, or wise front bumper lip and either fender flares or wide body
Old 10-28-10, 08:39 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Yep, it crossed my mind once or twice lol. What originally got me in this mess was when I saw a 97+ SC for the first time up close and realized how much better it looked, then when I got home that night and looked it up, not only was the kit hard to find but way to expensive. If Im gonna spend that kind of money on my car it going to be in the engine bay. All I really want is just a rear bumper lip, some decent side skirts, maybe an oem 97+ front bumper, or wise front bumper lip and either fender flares or wide body
The 97+ kit isn't that expensive. Sometimes you can piece it together through the classifieds and save a couple bucks. But when you think about it, you are driving a Lexus. Things aren't gonna come cheap.
Old 10-28-10, 08:48 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Actually, since Ive been pondering the look I want, I think Im leaning more towards fender flares and give it kind of an AMG Black kinda look. What do you guys think?
I don't think the AMG look will work very well. The SC doesn't have any of the straight lines that would compliment those types of flares really well.
Old 10-28-10, 09:11 PM
gldndrgn14
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...jdmmuscle.html
Old 10-28-10, 09:11 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
I don't think the AMG look will work very well. The SC doesn't have any of the straight lines that would compliment those types of flares really well.
I agree, and thats why I havent ordered anything yet. But god lord! that mercedes is beautiful

I think I might be leaning a bit more toward the vertex wide fenders now instead because there are no SC specific fender flares and I hate the thought of putting universal fit anything on my car. Just the words "universal fit" makes me cringe. The only thing is that I hate the vents one the front fenders.

Originally Posted by jjffyy
The 97+ kit isn't that expensive. Sometimes you can piece it together through the classifieds and save a couple bucks. But when you think about it, you are driving a Lexus. Things aren't gonna come cheap.
Its not that I dont have the money, I just dont understand what the point of spending the extra money on oem skirts and rear bumpers is when you can get aftermarket skirts and rear lips for almost half the price and they look almost exactly the same if not better. But like I said, I dont know anything about aftermarket body kits so if what Im saying is ludicrous, please by all means, learn me.

That thread is actually what peaked my wide body interest

Last edited by MattStarr; 10-28-10 at 09:15 PM.