Search this Thread

Old 07-23-02, 10:56 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this Supercharger please

Hey, just found this

http://www.z-engineeringusa.com/zr02.htm

and I'm wondering if that thing could be fitted to an SC4. Might be easier than other superchargers due to its design/technology? Not sure. Best thing is (well, to me at least) they're built in my country

What do you guys think?
Old 07-24-02, 05:53 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Very neat idea. It does look like it should fit in SC400 if appropriate bracket created. Then few pipes, ECU modification (most likely piggyback), hopefully nothing else would be required (like bigger injectors, secondary fuel pump, etc.), and we should be able to gain about 100 hp or so.

Last edited by ChrisK; 07-24-02 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-24-02, 07:35 AM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

any other thoughts? is this a universal supercharger that in theory can be adjusted to fit my infi j30? Why wpould you need the ecu change?
Old 07-24-02, 07:51 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Well, I guess any supercharger is in some way 'universal'. What needs to be custom is the mounting hardware and piping and stuff. This one should be easier because it doesn't need any oil.

Z-Engineering is also doing kits, but mostly for VW. And it is no surprise to me that they're kind of expensive ... Swiss engineering isn't bad ... but it's also not very cheap

Anyway, if more people feel like this would be worth investigating further, I'll give them a call and see what they have to say. But I'd like to hear a few more opinions of the gurus here, as honestly I don't really know very much about supercharging

Oh, about the ECU. My guess is that the stock ECU couldn't cope with all the additional air, so it might have to be adjusted for that. But I think that would be fairly simple. As Chris said, it would get more complex (and expensive) if you also had to change injectors, fuel pump etc. I'm not sure though if you could leave them untouched.
Old 07-24-02, 08:12 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

That could very easily be a good way of getting power to our cars. I would be interested in something like that if it could be made up into a simple kit or I just knew what parts to buy.
Old 07-24-02, 08:51 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

i second mad max's motion
Old 07-24-02, 06:58 PM
DaBling69
Driver School Candidate

Keep me posted, that would be extremely great if it could be fitted in the 400s. Anyone have anymore details on it?
Old 07-25-02, 02:22 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, it looks interesting and it is something that I am interested in. Any idea on the cost of the unit itself? It *looks* like it would fit under our hoods but I would feel uncomfortable spending the cash for it only to find out that it doesn't fit and unfortunately there aren't any distributors in my area.

I don't think ECU modifications should be a problem for us pre-96 400s due to OBDI and weaponR. It looks like the VWs are getting an extra 90hp. The 4.0L is larger and i'm not sure at what psi they are running those cars but I'd be happy with some (at least 100) solid hp gains. About the fuel pump... at only about an extra 100 hp I wouldn't feel comfortable straining the OEM fuel pump and at only around 200$ (last time i checked) for an upgraded fuel pump, it isn't too much extra money.
Old 07-25-02, 10:21 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

OK, larger fuel pump. What about bigger injectors?

Looking at the VW kit pics, doesn't look like they're upgrading pump or injectors or anything else. Doesn't have to mean anything though ...

I'd be really interested if someone could give us a rundown of what might be required APART from buying and installing the TC, custom piping and ECU tuning.

Price of the TC? No idea yet, but looking at the kit prices I'd be not surprised it it's in the $2k-$3k range :eek:. I'll give them a call as soon as I get the time.
Old 07-25-02, 12:52 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

only 9psi ... is that enough .. I don't think it would be, after a while you'll just want more ?
Old 07-25-02, 01:18 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

9 PSI is good for the efficient operation of this supercharger, it'll take less power to run it and less effort to install it, thus the gain will be significant.

PS -
everyone wants more power.
Old 07-25-02, 01:27 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a link to a good discussion about the fuel injectors in our cars.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=injector

it looks like ~330hp (i think this would be at the engine, not sure) will be the max our cars can handle with the oem fuel injectors. Upgraded fuel injectors would be a good idea, 440cc injectors seem like the best option.

9psi should be plenty. Swift Racing's Stage 3 supercharger system runs at 8.5 and I hear that those are kinda fast Also, there aren't any other options for forced induction for the SC400. There have been talks of turbo kits and what not but only talk.
Old 07-25-02, 03:05 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I contacted them about our SC400s. My SC400 project is on hold until my SC300 is finished but I might be working on this fairly soon.

The head units they have are not strong enough to supply enough air to the SC400. They mentioned it is more for V6s up to 3.5 liters for the ZR02. I inquired about future products for larger engines and they said they are being researched. I am going to go ahead and see if I can have them work on some things for me. I would like to see my Sc400 be able to match my Turbo Sc300 some day.
Old 07-25-02, 03:43 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

if that one won't work then why not another brand like Vortech?
Old 07-25-02, 04:17 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a small supercharger guys... 9psi is kinda pushin it on your compression level too... you can always lower the boost with a pulley change, i'm sure the company can fabricate something for you

Quick Reply: Opinions on this Supercharger please