SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My $250 Project SC300 progress (and a couple questions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 07:19 AM
dskirtech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My $250 Project SC300 progress (and a couple questions)

Just a quick update:

First of all, thanks to all for the information you all provided to help me this thing running again.

The 95 SC300 is alive!! This car satup for 5 years untouched. after a couple weeks and some TLC, this thing not only runs, but runs smoother than my Girlfriend's Acura 3.2 TL. Im shocked.

Gave the Dude $250 for it.

So far:

Exterior - Damn near mint except for a couple door dings. Red paint shined up nice, gonna hit it with some Mothers Deep cleaner wax this evening and ti should shine like new. No window cracks, Wheels look good, center caps only need touched up in a couple spots. Tires are still good, but dont trust them after sitting for 5 years.

Interior - It has been sitting 3 of those 5 years witht he windows down, so the Interior is shot. Seats and panels are crap. need recovered or replaced.

Fuel Pump - Went with a brand new Denso kit with the ECU mod. Thansk to all who helped me out with this.

Alternator - Replaced it and ALL electronics seem to work. Climate control, seats, window motors (need regulators), door locks, lights, stereo, changer, everything. Im sure its common knowledge, but not the easiest of Alternators I have had to replace.

AC - hit it up with a shot of R-134 and low and behold, it blows cold as hell.

Things that need done:

Struts - right rear wheel well I hear a "pop/thud" sound over small bumps. Im assuming rea struts? Any input here will be appreciated.

Interior - working on trying to find some folks I know around town that re-upholster. Anybody know of a reason why I couldnt Just have the door panels and seats redone?

Gauge Cluster - Going to post a thread on this in a bit, but I need to locate a new Clear plastic screen that covers the Instrument panel. some kind of checmical has caused this one to smoke completely up and you cant barely see through it.

Power Steering
- Seem to be seeping power steering fluid somewhere...

Anyway, Ill post up pictures. I drove it to work today for its maiden voyage. VERY impressed so far.

Dane
Old 09-01-10, 08:42 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds good for $250.
Old 09-01-10, 08:53 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not bad. As for the rear shocks, have you checked to be sure there isnt something in the general area that may be loose, like the exhaust? If nothing, pull the spring/shock and inspect the shock.

gauge cluster fix: (provided its just the plastic cover)

800 girt (wetsand), 1000grit (wet), 1200(again, wet), 1500(wet, and if you can find it) 1800, and 2000 grit. Sand until the plastic looks crystal clear when wet, but hazy when dry with no signs of scuffing from the sandpaper. From there, simply polish using Plast-X. Done

seems like you have everything else under control, and seems like you got one solid deal. keep us posted.
Old 09-01-10, 09:27 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. What are ur long term plans for it?