SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Alarm wiggin out

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 09:26 PM
lolSC600
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm wiggin out

So I was going to post in lex mans thread but the reply was getting lengthy so here we are:

Skinny:

The alarm on my 1993 SC400 is acting up. What can I do to disable it?

Full:

Car sits with doors locked for a day or two. Unlock the driver door with my key (the only key I have is messed up and the key-less does not work = I have no way to arm or disarm the alarm). The alarm goes off. It's never done this before. Stick the key in the ignition and turn to "On" and the alarm shuts off. Car will not start (starter doesn't rotate, misc dash lights come on when in start position) and the trunk will not pop with the switch in the dash. Unhook battery for a while. Hook up battery, alarm goes off instantly. Unhook battery, let it sit for a day. Hook up battery and everything is normal again. Since I don't have a working key and I'm not going to buy one, what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Last edited by lolSC600; 08-22-10 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 09:33 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Is your battery in good shape, with full charge? I've had cars that LOVED to set off the alarm and do all kinds of squirrely, phantom things when the battery got low (BMW's ftl)
Old 08-22-10, 09:47 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeremy,

If you want i can help you remove it, but you'll need to get the alarm out so you can see the wires(colors). Dash or steering column ,lol
Old 08-22-10, 10:02 PM
lolSC600
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by good2go
Is your battery in good shape, with full charge? I've had cars that LOVED to set off the alarm and do all kinds of squirrely, phantom things when the battery got low (BMW's ftl)
The battery is only 2 years old, however it is a little group 26 walmart battery, but it turns the motor over perfectly. I'm not sure what the voltage is, though. I'm hoping it was just a fluke. I usually leave the battery unhooked because the car has just been sitting since I got it (~2 months ago).

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
Jeremy,

If you want i can help you remove it, but you'll need to get the alarm out so you can see the wires(colors). Dash or steering column ,lol
I would really like to be able to just pull a fuse or something simple. I don't really want to cut it out (and I REALLY don't want to take the dash out or take down the steering column lol)
Old 08-22-10, 10:20 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it aftermarket or stock oem one?

my oem one just started acting up about a month now. ill unlock with a key and it starts honking and going off... all i have to do is turn the key again like im trying to unlock it again and it stops.

if its an aftermarket one... there is an inline fuse somewhere that that goes into the alarm... if you pull that it will disable it and the kill switch is deactivated. ive lost my only keypad once and they only way was to unlock it with a key and this set off the alarm and kill switch. i just pulled that inline fuse and the alarm cut off and i just started the car like normal
Old 08-22-10, 10:44 PM
infiniti24
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by good2go
haha my M3 had a battery on its way out it turned on the lights sometimes moved the seat in very odd ways and rolled down the windows

thought my roommates where screwing with me
Old 08-22-10, 10:56 PM
lolSC600
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by booja
is it aftermarket or stock oem one?

my oem one just started acting up about a month now. ill unlock with a key and it starts honking and going off... all i have to do is turn the key again like im trying to unlock it again and it stops.
I'm assuming it's the oem alarm. I haven't seen any aftermarket wiring (though I haven't looked too much either). What you described was exactly what happened. But I didn't think to turn the key back again.
Old 08-23-10, 06:57 AM
jdmlexy
Driver School Candidate

i dont have a way to prevent the problem, but next time the car goes into security mode like that , lock all your doors wait 30 secs and open the door from the passenger side, and it should start right up, instead of doing that battery removal thing.