SC300 From Scratch questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 08:04 AM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 From Scratch questions

Hello All,

I’ve decided to start a new project and its going to be an sc300. I have no history with this car so I need your help to make sure it turns out right. At first I thought I would buy the car and do a 1jz swap. After digging a little deeper I’m finding all kinds of opposing views on this. Some say turbo the motor, some say do the 2jz, than others say do the 1jz because its already turbo. I want 5-700 HP I want to do that for around 10-15k here’s what I need to know:

1 – does the year of the car make a difference ? i.e. is it any year easier or better to work with ?

2 – Is it better (budget 15k / I want 500hp) to go 1JZ / 2JZ / Turbo

3 – Any good places to find a body ? (I know about CL already I’m talking about shops you like sc300 bone yards not common knowledge stuff)

4 – Best place to find a 1jz or 2jz (keep in mind I’ve never done this swap)

5 – Finally any commonly made mistakes. ( answer’s for installation mistakes I’m not looking for opinions on anything but installations)

I would really appreciate quality input from the experienced people on this swap. I will be documenting this build step by step with photos from purchase of the care to final track time so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-10, 08:08 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out www.Lextreme.com for wiring diagrams and answers to your many questions. Some one else care to chime in?
Old 08-19-10, 08:23 AM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Check out www.Lextreme.com for wiring diagrams and answers to your many questions. Some one else care to chime in?
Thanks that should be helpful. any preferance when it comes to model year ?
Old 08-19-10, 08:31 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcasey
Thanks that should be helpful. any preferance when it comes to model year ?
Well, if you don't want to have to mess with OBDII then <96.

If you care more about the more cosmetically appealing body then 97+

If you want to stay away from the VVT-i motor if you are going NA-T then <98

Depends what is most important to you.

Jonny
Old 08-19-10, 08:54 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

I'd say go with the 1jz, motors that are designed for forced induction from the factory do much better than using NA to turbo applications. 2jzge-t isn't a bad option, but you will have to do a head gasket for more than 7-9psi and you'll have to run a full standalone if you want to make 500hp. You could easily make 500hp on a 1jz with a piggy back, no maf makes a big difference.
Old 08-19-10, 09:38 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

5 – Finally any commonly made mistakes. ( answer’s for installation mistakes I’m not looking for opinions on anything but installations)

I would really appreciate quality input from the experienced people on this swap.
WOW....did you want that all on a silver platter too?

I know you didn't ask for it, but I'm gonna say it anyway. If you are seriously thinking of doing this kind of a project, your biggest mistake so far is an apparent total lack of developing self sufficiency at sourcing pertinent information on your own. I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you expect all the info you need to come directly, and more importantly: correctly, to you with zero effort on your part, I think it bodes ill for your ultimate success. G/L with your project.

$.02
Old 08-19-10, 09:59 AM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by attzor
I'd say go with the 1jz, motors that are designed for forced induction from the factory do much better than using NA to turbo applications. 2jzge-t isn't a bad option, but you will have to do a head gasket for more than 7-9psi and you'll have to run a full standalone if you want to make 500hp. You could easily make 500hp on a 1jz with a piggy back, no maf makes a big difference.
Ya that was my original intention. I wasnt sure if it was gonna be easier to get the power I wanted out of a 1jz or a 2jz. also I wasnt sure if the investment in a 2jz was worth it? thanks
Old 08-19-10, 10:02 AM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by good2go
WOW....did you want that all on a silver platter too?

I know you didn't ask for it, but I'm gonna say it anyway. If you are seriously thinking of doing this kind of a project, your biggest mistake so far is an apparent total lack of developing self sufficiency at sourcing pertinent information on your own. I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you expect all the info you need to come directly, and more importantly: correctly, to you with zero effort on your part, I think it bodes ill for your ultimate success. G/L with your project.

$.02
this is why i specifically asked for opinions only on installation. but they always crawl out from under some rock don't they. of course I am doing my own research. part of which is getting opinions from people who have more experience than i do in this.
Old 08-19-10, 10:17 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

... I am doing my own research. ....
Really? Your questions didn't seem to reflect it.
Old 08-19-10, 10:25 AM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by good2go
Really? Your questions didn't seem to reflect it.
there has been times when i thought i knew something was true based on my own research and found out it was not the case when i consulted those who know more about it than I did. this might not be how you do things i can appreciate the fact that you do everything on your own. I on the other hand like to receive advice from multiple sources before i make a decision. you dont have to agree with it. although i would really love to get into a conversation about this with you this thread is designed for something else. please keep future posts more on topic.

thank you
Old 08-19-10, 10:38 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why cant you all just link him to sites and give him advice?? it takes just as long to write your smart *** remark as it would to type down some information that can help him... geeezzz guyssssss
Old 08-19-10, 01:46 PM
codye3m
Rookie

since u live in Fl i suggest u get 97+, bc u got no emission laws, like i do, and i say boost it. also i suggest u get a r154.
go to this site if u havnt already
http://www.driftmotion.com/
Old 08-19-10, 02:25 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just do the best of both worlds 1.5jz big single turbo with a r154 and a clutch kit that supports it...

The stock bottom of a NON VVT-i jz will hold up under the hp range you want and the 1jz head w/ cams and supporting mods will be a good addition to the build. You will fuel mods and something to control it with and you are golden.
It might not be 15k to do it but hey.. if you want to spend 15k I can help you.

Last edited by TLDriver; 08-19-10 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 02:36 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your $15k budget could either get you a lot or very little. Are you doing all the fab work yourself and using the majority of the $15k for parts? Or are you going to split that budget for parts and labor?

Does this budget include the car?
Old 08-19-10, 09:24 PM
njsc3000
Rookie

go one ebay there r many places in nj like jdm engine depo that got very good deals on engines me personaly like the 2jgte but its up 2 you, if u dont have experience with cars gl bro.