SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Old School SC400 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-10, 05:06 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old School SC400 Rebuild

Well kids I`m rebuilding my SC400 for a second time. I originally bought the car in 2004 when most of you guys were in middle school. It had 80ty something thousand miles and was in sorry *** state. Nothing major, just 12 year old and needing bunch of work. I restored it quickly with new suspension all around (TT supra rear) control arm bushings, front motor work with Tbelt, water pump, seals, all tensioners, ignition parts, SC430 wheels and interior restoration.
Since then I put about 60 thousand miles on the car. I love this car. I commuted at that time mostly on the Turnpike, SC was great pike cruiser.
For last two years, practically I didn't use the car. It was in storage. I had quite busy period of my life w/o time for play at all.
Finally I brought car back to his new home month ago. It would not run with shut ECU. Kerosene motor flush, seafoam and another ECU latter runs strong again.
I'm starting this thread for my own selfish reasons to track the work progress, but maybe new guys can learn something on the way.

First major job ahead is a paint. Roof is badly peeling and hood starts too.

I'm taking it apart for whole body paint job. I gota deal from former cooworker for $1500 with my dissasembly, since then friend hook my up with mu countryman that is asking $1000 wow...

Hugly roof.

I was thinking about '97 bumper, but frankly I do not think something is wrong with vintage look.
Face will get new headlights and long beams. I was able to get two glass high beams, those are way to go.
Headlights are fairly fresh, I got them new in 2007. New headlights have projectors upgraded by Toyota and work well with hid, I use 900X rebased Philips bulbs and Koyo (that should be Koito (?), I have to pull them from a box) ballasts.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 08-15-10 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-14-10, 05:55 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

After removing front bumper cover I found old south-florida repair. Cracked bumper support and soldered front light bracket. Right high beam had broken tab and was held in place by drywall screw.

Thanks to two outstanding forum members replacement parts are already installed.

After reading planetsoarer BFI works and much thinking (6years), I finally decided to remove snorkel from air filter box. I was hesitant, we have torrential rains and often hydrolocked engine blow ups down here in SoFlo. I want to make another intake nozzle in airbox before I put car back together. I need something factory looking. Suggestions are welcome

Last edited by EUROJulian; 08-14-10 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-14-10, 06:13 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Ole 4-bolt-main all-mighty:

New Koyo radiator, I'm very pleased with Koyo quality and price so far. I got one for my wife's Camry and will get soon for my truck. Recommended replacement.

Two new ignition coils and iridium denso plugs. I installed coils as preventive maintenance. They tend to give tricky problems as they age. Watch the connectors, tabs are fragile. Best is to buy connector bodies and replace it. I didn't and had to glue one with black FIPG (I love Toyota FIPG BTW)
Old 08-14-10, 06:21 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very clean engine.. why not go with the aluminum upgrade??
Old 08-14-10, 06:35 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Looking to fix up interior this time with something more than a leather dye like last time. My passenger door panel was tired and need rest. It is free to pick up by forum member BTW less wood and door handle (you have to be member for more than a year with min 100 posts)

Replacement door panel look pretty good. I want to redo the leather on the seats. I hear katzkin is a thing to go. Recommended sellers?

Last edited by EUROJulian; 08-17-10 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-14-10, 06:43 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by megamax
very clean engine.. why not go with the aluminum upgrade??
Hi there. What aluminum upgrade you are referring to? Radiator? I paid for Koyo little over $100. You cant beat that with a stick. I like factory fit to be honest.
Old 08-14-10, 06:47 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

dang loooks like a good project. make sure to keep us posted.
Old 08-14-10, 07:54 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

yeah the radiator. and how much was that door panel replacement??
Old 08-15-10, 05:39 AM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Before I can put replacement panels I have to fix door water intrusion problem. In the past I sealed moisture barrier with butyl tape and FIPG. Later after through inspection I noticed problem with door wire harness seal. Boot is broken off. I suspect water intrusion through this openings at high speed. I haven't figured out how what is a best approach to fix it yet (short of replacing door harness). Ideas are welcome.

This is what I'm talking about. Repair ideas?

Last edited by EUROJulian; 08-17-10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 11:25 AM
jdm93400
Pole Position

dude i also have sc400 and 93 i love urs man its so so nice im already hooked on al the detailed pix i want to see more please keep the pix coming ill be watching
Old 08-15-10, 01:30 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love to see a clean 1UZ engine. Any performance add-ons?
Old 08-15-10, 01:37 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

very sweet. where in FL are you?
Old 08-15-10, 01:50 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a nice project. In to see it completed
Old 08-15-10, 03:52 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I love to see a clean 1UZ engine. Any performance add-ons?
Nah, just me behind the wheel No, wait I have air filter for $40.

I do not need for car to do anything crazy, it is burning nuf gas as is (20 mpg). I get my adrenaline on the bike.
I`m in South Dade btw
Old 08-17-10, 05:56 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Well stereo took a dump. Radio would work only during the Winter, CD changer rest of the year. Thanks to outstanding forum member replacement is already in. I will change rear speakers hopefully tomorrow, I see some 4" Pioneers in the Best-Buy near by. Didn't order sub-woofer yet I do not know what I really have there. I will go with Pioneer 8" compact one most likely. Got replacement sub amp today just in case

Worked on stereo today. Rear speaker were shut. Sure enough after I disassembled rear panel and touched speaker cones, they crumbled under finger pressure. I bought 4" Pioneer speaker set in Best Buy for $50:

Speakers are direct drop in replacement for factory ones, bolt holes aligned perfectly as well as wire connections. I soldered factory harness and replaced foam lip to complete OEM look.

Gotta love that.

Subwoofer was another surprise. It was in great condition, no deterioration to the cone at all. I installed replacement sub amplifier I got from outstanding forum member and it runs like champ now. $100 saved, nice.

Test fired the system for now as I will have to re-tint the windows, do not want installer to mess up new speakers or replacement deck cover I just got. Runs fine.
I`m thinking of replacing front ones as well, depending on the total car rebuilt budget.
Total stereo repair cost up to now, including head unit, speakers, sub-amp: 97 dollars.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 08-17-10 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Old School SC400 Rebuild