SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ebay Clear Lens Headlight Retrofit

Old 08-13-10, 06:59 PM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ebay Clear Lens Headlight Retrofit

Nothing no one hasn't done or seen before, here is my attempt of the eBay head light clear lens retrofit that I finished the other day. I had the black housing eBay head lights & high beams fitted for months as a replacement for my un-finished sanded factory lenses (to rid of the 'ribbing/lines' ) that I lost time for.

I personally like the simplicity of the factory head lights ( I am not the only one I'm sure ) anyway which was my main inspiration. So I went on the search on this forum to see if it had been done & came across "eliteskill" & he's retrofit for some reference & an idea of the fitment.
Mine are not perfect by any means & I am sure they will leak, but I have this weekend to fix some things.

I left the factory projectors as I completed this in one day as I took the day off purposely from work to do it, haha !

Anyway here are some pics.

Last edited by gerrb; 11-16-15 at 08:37 PM. Reason: OP request
Old 08-13-10, 07:09 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like. Any working shots, ect?
Old 08-13-10, 07:22 PM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

Thanks dude, no action shots as yet, I'll be taking some tonight though.
Old 08-13-10, 07:46 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice.........

they look like my lights, except delined, and better.

*thumbs up*
Old 08-13-10, 07:51 PM
tacomonkey
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm still trying to fix the fitment on mine. this is a great mod to do if one can't get ahold of some supermade lenses.

EDIT:
is that some sort of air intake below the high beam?
Originally Posted by Mike1JZ
Old 08-13-10, 11:23 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Looks great so far Could you say something about what you had to do to make it fit?
Also, on your last pic, the hood and bumper seem to be misaligned a little and it looks like there's quite a gap between the bumper and the lens? Is it just the picture?
Old 08-13-10, 11:39 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job. I'm curious as to why you haven't upgraded the projectors while you had the headlights open. Aesthetics and no function?
Old 08-14-10, 12:13 AM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

looks good! I have the same question as the one above ^
Old 08-14-10, 12:17 AM
Sohconthis
Pole Position

wow those are clear! i might have to do this.
Old 08-14-10, 02:26 AM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

Thanks a lot man, I'm pretty content with the way they turned out.

Originally Posted by MIGS
nice.........

they look like my lights, except delined, and better.

*thumbs up*
I agree, & I guess as most people say, the clear lens is the only good thing to come from the eBay lights. Do you have any pics of yours ?

And yes they are, I have two air intake ducts that I fitted on either side of my numberplates, similar to the GTR's.

Originally Posted by tacomonkey
i'm still trying to fix the fitment on mine. this is a great mod to do if one can't get ahold of some supermade lenses.

EDIT:
is that some sort of air intake below the high beam?
Thanks mate, I appreciate it. And regarding the fitment, all that was done was heat up & dig out what was left of the old sealant, then I carefully applied Sika Flex all the way around the unit where the lens meets the plastic & then placed the Black housing in, followed by the clear lens itself & held it all together with clamps until dried.
And on the last pic, it is just the picture, because I haven't put the weather strip back on the head lights.

Originally Posted by supercoupes
Looks great so far Could you say something about what you had to do to make it fit?
Also, on your last pic, the hood and bumper seem to be misaligned a little and it looks like there's quite a gap between the bumper and the lens? Is it just the picture?
Thanks. I do plan to upgrade the projectors, but not until I find a decent pair first. Later but not too far down the track I will have the head lights apart again to get the best fit I can & then replace the old projectors also.

Originally Posted by uras300
Good job. I'm curious as to why you haven't upgraded the projectors while you had the headlights open. Aesthetics and no function?
Thanks man, it was worth taking the day off to do it.

Originally Posted by daSC4
looks good! I have the same question as the one above ^
I recommend !!

Originally Posted by Sohconthis
wow those are clear! i might have to do this.
Old 08-14-10, 06:54 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

how is the fitment of the lens? did you have to modify it to get a good seal? any gaps? or was it direct bolt on?
Old 08-14-10, 07:47 AM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

The fitment of the lens was better than what I originally thought it was going to be once it was all together. I didn't modify anything, I wouldn't say it was a direct bolt on, but close enough to it. I found a slight gap on the very end of either side of the head lights (where it curves) that area between the lens & the head light housing were not the tightest fit as the lens didn't fit perfect, but it is nothing major.
Old 08-14-10, 09:44 AM
tacomonkey
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike1JZ
I agree, & I guess as most people say, the clear lens is the only good thing to come from the eBay lights. Do you have any pics of yours ?

And yes they are, I have two air intake ducts that I fitted on either side of my numberplates, similar to the GTR's.
here are mine (this was before I put in weatherstripping)

did you make the intake ducts yourself? if you did, make a thread on how you did it. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested on how its done.
Old 08-14-10, 04:17 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and when you are finally done reinstalling the weatherstripping are you confident that youre seal won't leak water from the rain or fog the hell up??
Old 08-14-10, 04:33 PM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

They look great, the high beams are a perfect match, which was probably the 2nd best thing to accompany the clear lens. Have your head lights leaked at all ? And did you re-use the weather stripping & found the need for new double sided tape ?

And regarding the air ducts, I bought them from a body kit supplier in Sydney, they are a universal item. To cut a long story short I made an outline of them both, carefully cut them out & went from there.. real easy. if people are interested enough I will definitely make a thread on it. Some may say they don't flow with the rest of the body but they provide great air flow..

Last edited by Mike1JZ; 08-14-10 at 05:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ebay Clear Lens Headlight Retrofit