SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Interior handle not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 12:10 PM
chelli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior handle not working

Anyone know much about how the interior handle works? My drivers interior door handle cant seem to open the door from the inside. And i can't see exactly what is going on where the cable connects to what opens the door mechanism. Tried feeling it and pulling forever but still nothing. Cable runs from the handle, which pulls when handle it pulled.... all the way to where the mechanism is. Any ideas?
Old 08-06-10, 12:23 PM
goaliebill
Rookie

It is quite possibly the small plastic clip which has broken.
Do a thread search. There is a very detailed thread with copious photos which will help you sort it out.
Old 08-06-10, 01:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The interior door handle has a cable that connects behind the handle. The other end has a plastic clip that is known to break over time. The clip is only a couple of dollars, but obviously requires a little effort to get to it to replace it.

First thing you need to do is take your door panel off and see if your clip is broken. It is either pink or yellow... I think the interior one is pink.

Jonny
Old 08-06-10, 02:55 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only time I have had a problem with my interior handle is following the exterior handle clip failure. The rod falls out of the handle, window gets rolled down and bends said linkage rod. When you replace the clip, the rod puts just enough pressure on a metal tab that controls the locking and unlocking causing it to act like its always locked - but that affects interior and exterior which of course sucks big time.

Either something is broken\bent inside the latch or the cable has snapped or come loose from the handle. There are no little clips for the interior handle. The clips are for the linkage on the exterior handle and locking mechanism.
Old 08-06-10, 03:17 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only way to tell for sure is to remove the door panel and look to see whats going on. Its not hard to do, there are only 8 screws, and a couple plugs for the locks/window/etc..also gives a good chance to check the window regulator clip.
Old 08-06-10, 11:02 PM
chelli
Rookie

Yeah, i am having problems with the panel off the door. There seems to be somethign in the way of me seeing what the cable is pulling. I have tried pulling the cable that is closer to the actuator (opposite end of the interior handle) but still no luck in the door latch moving up.

So correct me if i am wrong, but the actuator shld not have anything to do with this since it controls the auto lock?

Anyone have a drawing of how the latch works or should i just try to take the latch out by unbolting it from the outside?
Old 08-07-10, 08:31 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chelli
Yeah, i am having problems with the panel off the door. There seems to be somethign in the way of me seeing what the cable is pulling. I have tried pulling the cable that is closer to the actuator (opposite end of the interior handle) but still no luck in the door latch moving up.

So correct me if i am wrong, but the actuator shld not have anything to do with this since it controls the auto lock?

Anyone have a drawing of how the latch works or should i just try to take the latch out by unbolting it from the outside?
The actuator solenoid is inside the latch.

Getting the latch out is a little tricky. I found the best way is to loosen all of the window track bolts so you can wiggle the assembly out w/o removing the window.

Here's a few pics I just snapped of the latch (passenger) w/o the plastic crap on it. Good luck.

Old 08-08-10, 09:18 AM
chelli
Rookie

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
The actuator solenoid is inside the latch.

Getting the latch out is a little tricky. I found the best way is to loosen all of the window track bolts so you can wiggle the assembly out w/o removing the window.

Here's a few pics I just snapped of the latch (passenger) w/o the plastic crap on it. Good luck.
Thanks for the detailed shots bud. Really helping me make sense of how it works. Going to pull it apart today.
Old 08-08-10, 10:58 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chelli
Thanks for the detailed shots bud. Really helping me make sense of how it works. Going to pull it apart today.
you should take pictures and make a diy. my passanger door wont open from the inside or outside. i removed the door panel to see whats wrong but thats as far as i got. thank god i read this thread because im really close to taking some powertools and cutting the whole door off and grab a whole new one at a junkyard. can someone please shed more light on this, my girlfriends keep complaining about jumping thru my car daisy duke style.
Old 08-08-10, 12:42 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

If your door won't open from the inside or outside, rip the plastic cover off the latch - PITA - and then....

Old 10-26-14, 06:45 PM
heliodoc15
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the post. I have been at a a loss since my son bought his car 3 months ago. I was ready to get out the seawall when I found this. Thank you especially for the pictures. Now that it is open, time to start looking for replacement parts so that I can get my truck back.
Old 10-28-14, 08:28 PM
ACCHRM
Driver School Candidate

My clip is broken as well, but the one on the door lock, not the handle, its been a month since im waiting for a new door lock actuator from a member, i think he screwed me up. Now i gotta go to a junkyard and find a new one...Any ideas if we can find the clips from a dealership? Or the whole cable?