SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Newbie to Lexus - 1st Purchase Yesterday (Red Flags or "Blue")

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 05:23 AM
Cyclenby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Newbie to Lexus - 1st Purchase Yesterday (Red Flags or "Blue")

Purchased my very first Lexus today at 47 years young and already wondering if maybe I made a mistake.

Ran the carfax, is a one owner SC400 with 180K miles (you can eat off the engine compartment) the drivers seat seems to be the only thing used (bad cracks) the rest of the car is really nice (little paint fade). Ok, here is my concern - no smoke at all on test drive even had my wife follow me when I stomped on it - BUY IT and get it home, park in the garage, come back a few hours later to cold engine start = blue smoke. Last about 15 seconds and gone... Stump on it little smoke all goes away in a minute or two = I KNOW valve stem seals!

My question original owner says he has run synthetic oil since about 140K - should I switch to Castrol "High-Mileage" or stay with Synthetic? And should I use Bardahl No Smoke to help for awhile? (thing is if I tell my wife even after running a car fax and checking it out I bought a car that she said "too many miles will be a problem" and "is" a problem that will cost us big money... well let's just say the dog house is where I will be staying)

Also he "said" he had timing belt replaced (twice) - like I said engine is super clean and no leaks or other issues (at least after first day of ownership).

New to forum looking forward to adding Lexus to my existing watch and motorcycle obsession and joining this forum family!

Cyclenby

Oh, and I forgot to mention the "Airbag" light stays on owners says not problem bags still works dealer said nothing to worry about... I do love the car only worry I made a mistake with 180K miles
Old 08-01-10, 05:41 AM
UR2klose
Pole Position

check your power steering fluid to see if its low. it could just be suckin the fluid thru the intake and blowin it out the exhaust. samething happend to my sc4
Old 08-01-10, 05:59 AM
Cyclenby
Driver School Candidate

Ok, will do thanks! And BTW how and where can I get a "second key" I don't have a spare and the remote you pretty much have to push the button through the case to make work. I don't need remote feature just a case in the event I loose. Should I buy a blank off of eBay for $14?
Old 08-01-10, 06:00 AM
Cyclenby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UR2klose
check your power steering fluid to see if its low. it could just be suckin the fluid thru the intake and blowin it out the exhaust. samething happend to my sc4
Special type fluid or what version do these take?
Old 08-01-10, 09:18 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cyclenby

Oh, and I forgot to mention the "Airbag" light stays on, owners says not problem bags still works dealer said nothing to worry about... I do love the car only worry I made a mistake with 180K miles
I call BS!!!

How could they possibly know that for sure. The car could have been in an accident before (YES, no matter WHAT Carfax says) and, although cosmetically fixed, could have crash sensors that were never replaced, rendering the airbag system compromised and hence the light. I can't imagine a reputable dealer wouldn't know this and would tell it's nothing to worry about.
Old 08-01-10, 09:22 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carfax only tells what has been reported. IF the vehicle was in an accident and not reported to the insurance company, it will NOT show on carfax.
Old 08-01-10, 09:28 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Carfax only tells what has been reported. IF the vehicle was in an accident and not reported to the insurance company, it will NOT show on carfax.
+10000000

It's almost scary how blindly people seem to rely on Carfax these days though, and down right unconscionable the way Carfax promotes themselves as being the ultimate "authentication" of a clean car.
Old 08-01-10, 09:40 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to totally agree on this situation to about carfax...

If the smoke continues after the warm up period, I would then worry about it. Right now, I wouldnt, unless it started to use alot of oil, like a quart every 1000k miles or something.

I would also double check the airbag light with someone else besides the dealer or take it to your dealer.

Welcome to CL, and you should find anything and everything on here.

How about some pictures?
Old 08-01-10, 12:35 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on the purchase

There is a procedure to reset the airbag light. I had done it on one of my Soarers after stupidly switching on the ignition while the combo cluster was out.

The valve stems I'd only do if I was going to pull the head off. Otherwise as long as the rest of the engine is fine (no other signs of premature wear) I wouldn't worry too much.

EDIT: Oh yeah, a reprogrammed key from the stealership is gonna cost you. Here in Oz we used to do replacement keys (remote type master) for about $400... EACH.
Old 08-01-10, 03:29 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK13X
There is a procedure to reset the airbag light. I had done it on one of my Soarers after stupidly switching on the ignition while the combo cluster was out.
How do you reset the airbag light?

Or maybe i should ask... how to i get rid of the airbag light, now that i have a Nardi steering wheel installed and completely eliminated my stock steering wheel/airbag?

Can't i just disconnect the airbag ecu under the armrest console?
Old 08-01-10, 03:55 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

I had that problem with my 1jz swap! GO HERE CHECK THIS OUT! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post2444289
Hope it helps!
Old 08-01-10, 06:33 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Net
How do you reset the airbag light?

Or maybe i should ask... how to i get rid of the airbag light, now that i have a Nardi steering wheel installed and completely eliminated my stock steering wheel/airbag?

Can't i just disconnect the airbag ecu under the armrest console?
What's up man? There are a couple of threads on resetting the airbag light.

This should help

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ght-reset.html

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 08-01-10, 07:27 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks brosky!
Old 08-01-10, 09:27 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Is the blue smoke a bad thing? My friend said a little bit came out when I started my SC. My SC has pretty low miles so I'm not sure what it could be.
Old 08-01-10, 09:36 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I would switch to a thicker weight oil and go back to regular oil. That may prevent the blue smoke you see coming out of your exhaust.

Quick Reply: Newbie to Lexus - 1st Purchase Yesterday (Red Flags or "Blue")