SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bolts BACKED OUT of REAR END! PICS FIX

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 08:26 PM
cino21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Bolts BACKED OUT of REAR END! PICS FIX

the other day, i was pulling into the parking lot, and my car started making loud noises from the rear like something was hitting something… i stepped out of the car, looked under the car the best i can, as it was prob 100 degrees outside here in TX, i had my girl drive it back and forth and i can pinpoint the noise to the driver side rear of the car, i knew it had something to do with the drivetrain b/c it only made the noise when i was in motion, and i found a long bolt with grease like material on it, i was hoping it wasn't from my car, i called my buddy scooter (spdrcr771) and he said the bolt was def a rear end bolt as i described it to him, (it was the 6 bolts that bolt in from the rear end to the axle)
LISTEN TO THE VIDEO

i call in sick to work b/c my car is my baby and i want her all better… SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY… NOW ONTO PICS!

see that piece hanging, that's what was making that noise as the wheel spins, it was hitting the bottom of the car

I had the rear end installed by DYNOSAUR PERFORMANCE, 4.27 LSD :-), and apparently locktite wasn't used on the bolts, now idk if it was necessary but it sure would of helped lol, i also think the grease dripping down or whatever it is may have helped the bolts back out b/c the grease is all on the bolts on the thread too.. so i loosened the bolts by hand.. and one is missing, idk if it was missing from the beginning though, put locktite on them and bolt them back in, everything is A-OK
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS GREASE IS FROM….
Old 07-30-10, 09:15 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sry cant help you about the grease, but my car has just started making a wierd noise from under there too.. I guess I should check it out lol
Old 07-30-10, 09:55 PM
cino21
Pole Position

Lol. Yeah, it never started as a small sound though, you'll know if they're loose but it wouldn't hurt to look..

If anyone has any idea from what exactly that grease is, it's coming straight down from the driver side of the car above the rear end, thanks

And my apologies for the photo size, it's iPhone quality lol
Old 07-30-10, 10:06 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

It looks like grease from the flex joint in that boot.

BTW, I'd definitely have a word with the shop that worked on your rear end.
Old 07-31-10, 04:56 AM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Locktitie" (treadlocker) is not specified for that application, just a proper torque. All is needed.
You should add the molly grease to the joint to replenish lost one tho.
Old 07-31-10, 06:19 AM
timber1426
Pole Position

The last two guys were dead on man. I would be loosing my mind if a shop did that to me.
Old 07-31-10, 07:15 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember on my s13 there was grease under my car from my axle at that exact same area. When I unbolted it, the joint fell apart. All the ball bearings came out with it. So I would suggest you replace the axle before anything else goes wrong.
Old 07-31-10, 07:47 AM
cino21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EUROJulian
"Locktitie" (treadlocker) is not specified for that application, just a proper torque. All is needed.
You should add the molly grease to the joint to replenish lost one tho.
excuse my ignorance as i'm learning as i go about working on cars, are you saying there should be grease on those bolts like that? i was under the impression that the bolts backed out bc of the grease..?

and

thanks guys for the info! i'll def look into replacing the axle, at least taking a look at it first,
Old 07-31-10, 10:32 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

There should be NO grease on those bolts, they should be clean and dry. The grease should be inside the rubber boot of the axle.
Old 07-31-10, 11:21 AM
cino21
Pole Position

^^ gotcha that's what I thought. Thank you all for the quick responses
Old 07-31-10, 02:30 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am just glad it was just a bolt, and nothing major. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Old 01-07-16, 07:32 PM
lateralnw
Rookie

Same thing but in 2015

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post9314213

I didn't use lock tite to put them back in. Just even pressure.
Old 01-07-16, 07:57 PM
lateralnw
Rookie

Same thing but in 2015

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post9314213

I didn't use lock tite to put them back in. Just even pressure.
Old 01-08-16, 09:28 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Dude,

The bolts were obviously not torqued properly and likely installed 'dirty', in other words, no cleaning done to them and the thread surfaces. The 'technician' probably just hand tightened them. Sadly, most garages don't torque anything to specification, they just 'go by feel'. To clean nuts and bolts, then torque them to specification, is too time consuming for most shops, even ones with good reputations; this is why I do my own work. For axle bolts, the common 'correct' practice is to clean/degrease everything, apply a bit of blue loctite, then torque to specification. The loctite is your insurance policy and is a smart thing to do. If you can't torque to the specified value then you MUST use blue loctite on a clean surface; otherwise you risk seeing exactly what happened in the photos.

Last edited by freakness; 01-08-16 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-10-16, 11:26 AM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Would be a good thing if someone could give the correct torque spec. Of course done with a good quality torque wrench.

Quick Reply: Bolts BACKED OUT of REAR END! PICS FIX