Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

AWD Supra / Lexus sc / Mk3 kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 08:24 AM
$hogunn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Supra / Lexus sc / Mk3 kits

I need to know by demand if the Lexus community would really support AWD bolt on install kits.

I have blueprinted the entire kit for 5 speed and 6 speed applications.

I will be able to supply all parts, all you will need is a minor fab shop to install a cross member.

When i say completely bolt on. i mean it will be all toyota parts except for the front axles which will be custom to a point.

It will include a transfer controller so that you can set the front to rear ratio.

Also i can develop an automated system running off a toyota yaw sensor to control the front to rear ratio.
Again this would be completely bolt on. I can develop 5 speed and 6 speed (getrag) kits so you wont lose the reliability of the almighty getrag.

The guinea pig will be my own lexus sc.

I first went about it the typical way, thinking to retrofit the skyline trans. but the expense of this is counterproductive. custom clutches to me make it unrealistic.

Then after a LOT of research into the various parts diagrams, lots of searching, measuring and test retrofitting the main assembly i realized there are bolt on compatible transmissions for both the 5 and 6 speed. not only that, but they are tried and true to hold the power of the entire supra community of engines. the 7m, 1jz and 2jz gte and ge will all have the option of being awd. you will keep your clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder. (i told you its bolt on 4 real)

I will need a 7m but mkiiigenesis will be the donor for r&d for the mk3 crowd since he has a 1jz powered mk3.

This is not an idea or a thought. this is complete engineering. down to the finest detail.

Im going to make my lexus sc300tt awd regardless.

What i need to know for the SF community is would you support the kits if i developed them for sale.

the 5 speed kits would be in the realm of 6k. this includes transmission, rear drive shaft, forward transfer shaft. front diff, oil pan baffle, replacement cross member, both front axles and front wheel hubs (sc300 and supra only for now)

the 6 speed kits would be in the realm of 10k, basically because the transmission is expensive (getrag).

i would like input. basically if you think its too expensive or useless as an ability in our cars. or do you feel it would take the supra into the GTR/Porsche tt drive ability range. it would be the end of no inclement weather driving. no driving in or after the rain, and would give us all the ability to really get a better launch from the dig, not to mention the cornering and general handling benefits.

VOTE and reply.

EDIT. i also can offer it in 4 speed automatic for you auto guys who love to keep it ez.
Old 07-08-10, 08:41 AM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Maybe I missed it, but what 5 speed are you referring too? Also, would we be able too use our existing transmission, me meaning my R154?

Definitley interested....
Old 07-08-10, 08:45 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could see many wanting this but few affording this. A great thing about the SC/Supra is that it's RWD, allowing gear ratios and all the power to the rear wheels with different options of transmissions.
Old 07-08-10, 08:53 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be interested, however I'm curious about those that already have a factory 6 speed- you say that would be a $10k swap vs the $6k of the 5 speed. So are you including a new transmission in that? If someone already has a factory 6 speed, what impact does that have on the cost? Also do you have an estimation of the weight that this will add? I am interested as my supra is and always will be a GT car before anything else and AWD works for that application.

Your parts list:
rear drive shaft
forward transfer shaft
front diff
oil pan baffle
replacement cross member
both front axles and front wheel hubs (sc300 and supra only for now)

So no transfer case? Seems like there is more missing here.

I would also have concerns about under steer as is common in AWD/FWD cars. You're also going to take a car that is known and desired for it's relative simplicity and add a fairly big layer of complexity to it. This may be worth the rewards, but it just depends on how it's done.
Old 07-08-10, 09:06 AM
chelli
Rookie

Hmm... can't knock the idea i guess. Rain and snow, it would be relatively safer. It can be a all year car with this drive train swap. The only way to know is to finish yours, and more people would be able to visualize it and you can find more potential customers. But yeah, with the right powerplant, a heavy car like this could do with awd.
Old 07-08-10, 09:33 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

I would get this in a heart beat! The questions for me and some other folks are as followed:
1. What Five speed transmission? R154? W58?

2. What about the guys that have there own 5 speed? are there going to be kits for those that have one?
Old 07-08-10, 09:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

so much weight, we would have to start calling the awd SC a light truck.
I can save you guys a bunch of money if safety is what you are after.
its called really nice wide tires =)

Basically if you look underneath any old AWD 4runner you will see the setup the OP is trying to squeeze into an SC, it uses those same parts listed and we already know you can drop a 2j into a 4runner and have everything working (its been done before).
Its doable, but from what I have read on toyonation and the toyota 4wd forums forums they start breaking some of these parts with the power of a stock 2J, which is why most of them revert back to 2wd when doing the big bad 2j swap. most of your potential customers are well above that power level.
I'm not trying to be negative here, I would love to see it, I just don't want to see the thread where someone got hurt as a result etc. etc.
Old 07-08-10, 09:50 AM
$hogunn
Driver

Originally Posted by DJ420a
Maybe I missed it, but what 5 speed are you referring too? Also, would we be able too use our existing transmission, me meaning my R154?

Definitley interested....
Yes it will be an r154 for the 5 speed guys. and yes it includes transmission

Originally Posted by 1siksc
I could see many wanting this but few affording this. A great thing about the SC/Supra is that it's RWD, allowing gear ratios and all the power to the rear wheels with different options of transmissions.
i agree

Originally Posted by Klaus
I'd be interested, however I'm curious about those that already have a factory 6 speed- you say that would be a $10k swap vs the $6k of the 5 speed. So are you including a new transmission in that? If someone already has a factory 6 speed, what impact does that have on the cost? Also do you have an estimation of the weight that this will add? I am interested as my supra is and always will be a GT car before anything else and AWD works for that application.

Your parts list:
rear drive shaft
forward transfer shaft
front diff
oil pan baffle
replacement cross member
both front axles and front wheel hubs (sc300 and supra only for now)

So no transfer case? Seems like there is more missing here.

I would also have concerns about under steer as is common in AWD/FWD cars. You're also going to take a car that is known and desired for it's relative simplicity and add a fairly big layer of complexity to it. This may be worth the rewards, but it just depends on how it's done.
yes it will include the transfer case with a core charge if they dont send back their original transfer case. the kits part list are as follows

TRANSMISSION
FRONT DIFF W BAFFLE
HUB/SPINDLES
FRONT AXLES
REAR DRIVESHAFT
FORWARD DRIVE SHAFT
ELECTRONIC RATIO CONTROLLER
CROSSMEMBER (OPTIONAL)

understeer wont be a problem because you will be able to set the ratio at which you want the front wheels engaged. you only have that problem when the cars run a constant 60/40 50/50 range. you could turn your ratio down to 10/90 rear..... and have just enough bite to help you take the corner

as far as complexity... none at all. you will have the same trans, clutch, diff, everything will be the same, it will just give you far more flexibility. 2 me

Originally Posted by chelli
Hmm... can't knock the idea i guess. Rain and snow, it would be relatively safer. It can be a all year car with this drive train swap. The only way to know is to finish yours, and more people would be able to visualize it and you can find more potential customers. But yeah, with the right powerplant, a heavy car like this could do with awd.
and yeah, i know im going to have to do it first. im selling my supra tt to buy a gtr35, after i get it ill be able to do the awd on my sc first since ill have the time and money.

Originally Posted by Dr.Fate
I would get this in a heart beat! The questions for me and some other folks are as followed:
1. What Five speed transmission? R154? W58?

2. What about the guys that have there own 5 speed? are there going to be kits for those that have one?
r154 because i want it to be able to hold the power that its known for. the w58 is much too weak. the 6 speeds will be v160/161 getrags.

Last edited by $hogunn; 07-08-10 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-08-10, 10:01 AM
$hogunn
Driver

actually...im not trying anything. and i damn sure am NOT gonna use ROCK CRAWLING AWD tech from a 4RUNNER LMAO! none of this is what they use.

first you cant use anything they use because its too damn heavy, wont fit, the t-cases are massive, and THE GEAR RATIO IS TOO LOW.

are you kidding me.

it just kills me that you think you can figure out what im doing and how i did it with a snap of google? lmao.. if that was the case, and it was that simple, someone would have done it already.

IT WONT BE HEAVY, IT WILL ADD MAX 100LBS LOW 60LBS.

I KNOW WHAT MY CUSTOMER BASE IS I HAVE A WELL OVER 1000HP SUPRA TT 6SPEED AND A TT SC300. ive been building lex/yodas 4ever.

wide tires wont do **** when an awd car takes you from the dig, or when you are driving and it starts to rain. ask ANYONE with over 600hp what thats like.

you wanna know.

ITS CALLED pull over and turn your hazards on, take a nap you aint driving.

the reason you would need this is you want to diversify your ability to drive in all conditions, not just from a roll, on dry ground, or at 50mph starting.

im selling my supra tt to buy the new GTR but i still love my lex, and i think it deserves more, so im gonna do it and not just run my mouth or make assumptions.

i hope you dont take this as a flame, but you dont know what the **** im about to do, or how im gonna do it, dont make assumptions, especially far off ones like that!

4 RUNNER LMAO

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
so much weight, we would have to start calling the awd SC a light truck.
I can save you guys a bunch of money if safety is what you are after.
its called really nice wide tires =)

Basically if you look underneath any old AWD 4runner you will see the setup the OP is trying to squeeze into an SC, it uses those same parts listed and we already know you can drop a 2j into a 4runner and have everything working (its been done before).
Its doable, but from what I have read on toyonation and the toyota 4wd forums forums they start breaking some of these parts with the power of a stock 2J, which is why most of them revert back to 2wd when doing the big bad 2j swap. most of your potential customers are well above that power level.

Last edited by $hogunn; 07-08-10 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-08-10, 10:09 AM
$hogunn
Driver

and if someone gets hurt they cant drive. it just like the guys who wreck the GTR with under 300 miles and total it. if you are an assclown you are just that. if you think you can just act a fool in a car because it has power you are gonna get hurt. and you deserve to. i just hope they dont hurt anyone else besides their dumbass in the process lol
Old 07-08-10, 10:28 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So in the new parts list you wrote out, there still isn't a transfer case . So are you going to be modifying the transmission to have a built in transfer case? Is that why you need to include a trans in the price? Still I would like to be able to have a kit that uses my existing transmission to cut down on cost as my trans is good to go- and yes it's expensive! I wouldn't want to have to deal with selling my current perfectly good 6 speed

I REALLY like the concept of being able to set the f/r ratios- are you confident this will support up to a 90/10 split? And is this electronically controlled, or mechanically?

As for the safety of this versus wide tires. I have 315/30/18s in the back. Plenty wide. But I will NEVER again drive that car in the rain.
Old 07-08-10, 11:06 AM
$hogunn
Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
So in the new parts list you wrote out, there still isn't a transfer case . So are you going to be modifying the transmission to have a built in transfer case? Is that why you need to include a trans in the price? Still I would like to be able to have a kit that uses my existing transmission to cut down on cost as my trans is good to go- and yes it's expensive! I wouldn't want to have to deal with selling my current perfectly good 6 speed

I REALLY like the concept of being able to set the f/r ratios- are you confident this will support up to a 90/10 split? And is this electronically controlled, or mechanically?

As for the safety of this versus wide tires. I have 315/30/18s in the back. Plenty wide. But I will NEVER again drive that car in the rain.
ooooooh! i see.

yes the transfer case is integrated into the transmission. and i will need the transmission core of the car that is upgrading. so lets say it like so.

i send everything including transmission with tcase.
you pay core charge.
you do swap, send back you removed trans. core is refunded.

now this is the tough part. some may have built transmissions. if thats the case u will have to remove the trans and send it to me so i can have the transmission shop swap your internals (which kinda sux)

but honestly there are only like 1pct of 6 speed guys who have built trans if that.

built r154 guys will have to do the same thing. but the 2 week downtime will be worth it.

im going to do my sc300 6 speed awd, just to send a **** u to the haters, new fuel system, the whole nine.

as far as the 90/10 split. yes it will support it. ive checked 10 times over, and it will definitely support it.

the controller will be electronic. im trying to find the things i will need for a mechanical controller just in case someone insists upon it (i dunno why any1 would)

i could shave MASSIVE amounts of weight if i can take the first set of shafts and have them cloned in carbon fiber like the acpt rear supra shaft. but it would make the price climb. i guess that would be the high end version of the kit.

lemme know if anyone has any more questions!
Old 07-08-10, 11:09 AM
$hogunn
Driver

i feel you on the driving in the rain subject, and anyone with any real power Klaus knows that its a no no. how many supras are totaled every year via rain or a wet road. if there was a sc/supra bible for those boosted with power it would read.

1ST COMMANDMENT- THOU SHALT NOT DRIVE IN THE RAIN OR UPON A WET ROAD!

LMAO
Old 07-08-10, 11:41 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I would love to see it, I just don't know how big of want it would be for me.
Old 07-08-10, 12:31 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

I could see this being big in Austrailia or Japan, where in Aus they spend 5-10K on Super/Turbo charger kits for their V8 Soarers..

Quick Reply: AWD Supra / Lexus sc / Mk3 kits