SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ebay clear lense retrofit with Morimoto Mini Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 10:02 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish those came in RHD, would so get some!
Old 06-03-10, 10:03 AM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ebay Headlights with HID Kit. They suck. I will be purchasing brand new stock ones from lexus and doing an HID kit and stopping right there. The ebay Headlights are just junk.
Old 06-03-10, 10:06 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
if you want clear lenses, put them on the stock headlight housings, then do the retrofit...all in all, the ebay headlights fail in more ways than one..only good thing on them is the lens
Correct 100% Thats why im useing just the lens.

Originally Posted by Vincent123
eliteskill, so you purchased ebay headlights and removed the lenses and put it on your stock's?
looks great btw, planning on going tsx projectors in the near future as well
Yea I bought the ebay headlights just for the clear lens because supermades couldnt be found for me. I used the ebay high beams to match tho.

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Supposedly you can still get the clear lenses (Bright-X which is the same as SuperMade) by going to Nengun.com and doing their Yahoo Japan Auctions system. I don't know how that works on their site... I heard the Ebay lenses don't fit correctly on the OEM housing, and have to be cut around the sealing edge btw...

I'm wondering if the stock middle inner housing can just be sandwiched between the Ebay clear lense and the Ebay rear backing section?
The ebay lenses dont fit 100%. I had to cut and wrap them around. BE WARNED IT WILL TAKE TIME AND PATIENCE to get it to look like mine. Mine are still not 100% perfect, but you cant tell on BLACK. =)

Originally Posted by kyddo112
how'd you make the brackets?
Use search with "TSX Retrofit" It will show you how to make the brackets.

Originally Posted by jadu
those cutoffs look nice.. and the lens looks good!
Gotta get HID Projectors for nice cutoffs!

Originally Posted by tacomonkey
How is the fit between ebay lens and stock housing? you painted the turn signal black? how does that affect it's light output when signaling? I'm going to be doing this mod this weekend
The lens to be honest was a pain to fit. Took alot of time and cutting and mounting and dismounting. I pained the turn signals black my bulbs are yellow so its still bright.

TSX/RX/TL/SC430 sizes are the only one that will really fit in the sc300. If it was possible I would fit the LS430 projectors but they are too large! I envy GSx00 they can fit those in! the beam pattern is WIDE and HUGEEE

hope this helps everyone !

BTW OP dont mean to thread jack if you think that. But you might want to consider doing this option to get rid of your "X" on top of your cutoff. You can black house which would work also to remove it I believe.

Last edited by eliteskill; 06-03-10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-03-10, 02:08 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

How much work did you have to do to put them in?
Old 06-03-10, 04:29 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

I have a pair of tsx retrofit headlights for sale. Pretty much complete minus the hid kit. Pm me for details. Sorry to thread jack.
Old 06-03-10, 04:49 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by czar07
i wish those came in RHD, would so get some!
You could check the local junkyard for some RHD projectors since most sold online are LHD from retrofitsource.com.

Originally Posted by QwkSC
I have the ebay Headlights with HID Kit. They suck. I will be purchasing brand new stock ones from lexus and doing an HID kit and stopping right there. The ebay Headlights are just junk.
The newer OEM headlights (ex.2000) are far better than say, the 92 headlights. However, it is still no match for the HID specific projectors such as TSX, S2K, and FXR. The ebay headlight also comes with halogen bulb specific projectors, hence I'm retrofitting the Morimoto Mini's. The original focus of this mod was to have the clear lens/updated look and nice cut off/function to match.

Originally Posted by eliteskill

The ebay lenses dont fit 100%. I had to cut and wrap them around. BE WARNED IT WILL TAKE TIME AND PATIENCE to get it to look like mine. Mine are still not 100% perfect, but you cant tell on BLACK. =)

Use search with "TSX Retrofit" It will show you how to make the brackets.

Gotta get HID Projectors for nice cutoffs!

The lens to be honest was a pain to fit. Took alot of time and cutting and mounting and dismounting. I pained the turn signals black my bulbs are yellow so its still bright.

TSX/RX/TL/SC430 sizes are the only one that will really fit in the sc300. If it was possible I would fit the LS430 projectors but they are too large! I envy GSx00 they can fit those in! the beam pattern is WIDE and HUGEEE

hope this helps everyone !

BTW OP dont mean to thread jack if you think that. But you might want to consider doing this option to get rid of your "X" on top of your cutoff. You can black house which would work also to remove it I believe.
No offense taken. But please do tell how much modification was done to the clear lens to fit the OEM housing. I am definitely not a fan of the ebay headlight look. I would much prefer the OEM housing + clear lens instead.

By the way, have you had a chance to check to see if the OEM chrome housing also reflect the light like it did in my picture? Just looking at the shape of the housing makes me believe that it might.

SC's headlight housing has a limited space for a retrofit so I'd also recommend the projectors mentioned but I believe the TL is too large to fit.
Old 06-03-10, 04:55 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
How much work did you have to do to put them in?
Originally Posted by uras300
No offense taken. But please do tell how much modification was done to the clear lens to fit the OEM housing. I am definitely not a fan of the ebay headlight look. I would much prefer the OEM housing + clear lens instead.

By the way, have you had a chance to check to see if the OEM chrome housing also reflect the light like it did in my picture? Just looking at the shape of the housing makes me believe that it might.

SC's headlight housing has a limited space for a retrofit so I'd also recommend the projectors mentioned but I believe the TL is too large to fit.
I spent a whole day pretty much fitting them. So about 5-6 hours time from when they were heat gun'd to remove the stock ones and I had to cut the bottom area and the side where it touches the fender. Go slowly and use metal clips you can find in any hardware store to help you close the lens after. Put them back on/mark/cut/adjust/and repeat. BTW Mine still leak... =/

You know I never had a chance to put them on with the OEM chrome housing. I went straight to black when I made these. So I cant say. Also I think you may be right about the TL being too large. I just went TSX because they are so widely availible.
Old 06-03-10, 05:14 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Some pictures for reference and entertainment.

Before: OEM headlight + 4300k HID's

OEM headlight + 4300k HID's output

Morimoto Mini + 4300k HID's output

Ebay headlight comes with all kinds of weird stuff. 3 blue bulbs, angel eyes, poor fitment for the side markers.

A tiny H3 bulb must go.

Ebay housing + Ebay projector

Side view. Not much space to work with.

Ebay projector vs. Morimoto Mini. Morimoto Mini is a bit smaller in comparison.
Old 06-03-10, 05:29 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

looks good, did you keep it chrome or black it out?
Old 06-03-10, 06:14 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

@uras300 How much work did you have to do to put them in?
Old 06-03-10, 07:12 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

looks good, did you keep it chrome or black it out?
Thanks. I'm planning to keep it chrome for the time being. The chrome housing from a far makes it look more factory than black. I wanted least attention from the police as possible so I'm keeping it this way. If I get high beamed in the future, I'll paint it flat black.

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
@uras300 How much work did you have to do to put them in?
Just like any retro, a custom bracket for the projector had to be made and of course, modification to the housing as well. Over all, this can be done over a weekend. A retrofit is not for those who take their car to get the oil changed at a shop. But if you have some DIY experience, I believe it is possible to complete and do a proper retrofit.

Last edited by uras300; 06-04-10 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-03-10, 07:33 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

you got those on ebay, very nice pickup! i like em alot! nice upgrade!
Old 06-03-10, 08:12 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Elites lights and Urass projectors sounds like my future setup
Old 06-03-10, 08:22 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

do you have pics of how it looks from outside installed?
Old 06-04-10, 02:36 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1JZ300
you got those on ebay, very nice pickup! i like em alot! nice upgrade!
Thanks. The housing is from ebay and projectors are from retrofitsource.

do you have pics of how it looks from outside installed?
I only have a crappy iphone pic for now. I'll update the thread with better pics later this week. Here's one for now.

Quick Reply: Ebay clear lense retrofit with Morimoto Mini Projectors