SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

A-What-Would-You-Pay-For-My-Car Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 10:21 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said its a 5speed swap right? so it started out an automatic right? so why is it worth more than your average auto sc300 97 blk/blk?
Old 06-01-10, 10:43 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly, it's not something I would buy unless the price was just too good to be true... Current market - I would say $6000 would be reaching. I'd pull all the mods off and sell them individually, put the car back to stock and open up your potential market. A 50-year old woman might be interested in a 97 SC, but wouldn't be interested in stereo, lowered, and certainly not an exhaust...

Jonny
Old 06-01-10, 10:49 AM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

^^ i thought 6k as well.

don't do itttt!!! unless your buying another SC. that thing is pretty.
Old 06-01-10, 11:14 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Eh, it's about what I thought it'd be worth then. Who knows, I'll just drive it into the ground...maybe. I'm gettin really tired of having to take care of my cars and park it out in the middle of a parking lot.... that's all. I bought it cause I figured I was "over" the car thing... (for the 10th time) but now I'm just thinking...maybe someone else might like it more than me for the right price. I'll give it a few more months to see how I feel about it. This is my 3rd SC300 in the past 5 years with a few cars inbetween.
Old 06-01-10, 01:14 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Its the mileage. You would be better served by parting it out, or returning it to stock condition and selling it for a deal.

I hear you on the car thing though. I had my SC300 for almost two years, had another along with it for about three months, and then sold the white one. I got rid of my black one last year for a mint condition 76 Celica. It was more than worth it to me. While the SC's go down in value, this Celica will go up.

Then I had a few beaters for a while during my case where my Chrysler Pacifica got pwnd by a bakery truck. Thanks to that incident I was able to make money AND get into a 2009 Nissan Murano S AWD. The local dealer had it in the showroom with 128 miles on it. Needed a battery from sitting, but since the 2010's were in, I got a deal so stupid I can't believe it to this day. They even had heated leather seats and Rays 20" wheels installed. Win! They also messed up on paperwork, so as an apology, they extended my warranty out to eight years!

But I still have my beloved SAAB. I love my Viggen.
Old 06-01-10, 01:25 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

You'll be lucky to get 7k, mileage will scare people despite it being a 2jz.

IMO, parting it out will get you more money back.

Good luck with everything, hope you grow to love it again, its clean!
Old 06-01-10, 04:31 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

5-7k ......obo
Old 06-01-10, 05:27 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys need to be real here, $6k for a $200K + car? Just so you know, mods will not increase the value of your car, so tacking on the price of the swap and what not is just wishy washy thinking. You will almost never get back the money you put in it.

Put it back to stock, sell off the MODZZ and you'll probably get better offers on a wider market range. Very few people want to buy someone else's project
Old 06-01-10, 06:42 PM
1995Lexusc
Pole Position

5-6k definately but 7.5K if you wait out long enough depending where you at. These cars still hold there value and will go up in my opinion. The more people crash these cars, the less it will be. Just like any car, people like options. The buyers crowd range is most likely a beginner driver to early 20s for something fixed up like this.
Old 06-01-10, 06:46 PM
sc300tilt
Driver School Candidate

i would buy your door panel and wood trim on dash
Old 06-01-10, 08:27 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you put it back to stock, keeping the 5-spd of course- you could easily get $4.5-5.5K, so then you could sell the rims/tires, exhaust, coilovers, and system to probably end up "around $7.5K" in your pocket when all is said and done, or more- depending on your selling skills.

Or just sell it for 5.5K-6.5K as is, because that's kind of where I view the market is putting it at with that kind of mileage... You can get FD RX7's under $10K now, and sometimes even MKIV Supras...

It looks really nice, KEEP it!
10" up front, and no rubbing?

Post up more pics/angles?

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 06-01-10 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-01-10, 08:29 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by VJZ
Its the mileage. You would be better served by parting it out, or returning it to stock condition and selling it for a deal.

I hear you on the car thing though. I had my SC300 for almost two years, had another along with it for about three months, and then sold the white one. I got rid of my black one last year for a mint condition 76 Celica. It was more than worth it to me. While the SC's go down in value, this Celica will go up.

Then I had a few beaters for a while during my case where my Chrysler Pacifica got pwnd by a bakery truck. Thanks to that incident I was able to make money AND get into a 2009 Nissan Murano S AWD. The local dealer had it in the showroom with 128 miles on it. Needed a battery from sitting, but since the 2010's were in, I got a deal so stupid I can't believe it to this day. They even had heated leather seats and Rays 20" wheels installed. Win! They also messed up on paperwork, so as an apology, they extended my warranty out to eight years!

But I still have my beloved SAAB. I love my Viggen.
I wouldn't buy a Murano, but if all of the stuff that you got with it came on one with an eight year warranty, I'd totally get it. They seem like nice cars.

Originally Posted by 2turbo1sup
You guys need to be real here, $6k for a $200K + car? Just so you know, mods will not increase the value of your car, so tacking on the price of the swap and what not is just wishy washy thinking. You will almost never get back the money you put in it.

Put it back to stock, sell off the MODZZ and you'll probably get better offers on a wider market range. Very few people want to buy someone else's project
I agree! I'd pay $4k and that's pushing it for me. You would probably get $5-6.5k out of it though. Personally, 200k+ miles is way too high for me on any car and the high mileage would drive away the average customer easily. It's hard enough trying to sell a clean SC with 100-120k miles for $5k. If you decide to get rid of it, you should go with a direct trade if you were getting another SC or something in that price range.
Old 06-01-10, 09:27 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont sell it cause your not going to get what it means to you...keep it, do a swap and enjoy it for the next 15 yrs...
Old 06-01-10, 09:34 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

as long as car is been maintained, id give it around 7k, id rather have that high mileage sc than low mileage one that sat unmaintained for years
Old 06-02-10, 01:25 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

have you noticed how the economy is right now? who is gonna buy any car for that matter.