3 SCs at Shine Auto Project / Seven Apple Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 09:05 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..

good info...

For beginners, i haven't disclosed the actual price ... i stated >4K.... was expecting ~3K... I do understand about the cost and all. But as a consumer, I cannot get proper opinions from others without a figure or close to it. I do beleive Makito does a good job and i am sure he is meticulous and understands exactly how the Shine Kit material needs to be painted or prepped...

However the price is high - not for a good paint job but for an enthusiast who would has other mods to go.... So just threw that in to get opinions as to wait longer and save and do it with him or have another place try.... but from a couple of guys on the forum can already see problems they are having with their paint jobs at other shops and now Makito is fixing...

I got a good read from Makito - nice, friendly but now I just have to figure out if my budget allows me to have him do the work.... That's where opinions would be appreciated.. And as much as possible i will not reveal details.....

around 3K i could plan for but man his quote i will have to wait much longer as wheels / suspension and all else .. also quote was without kit..?? so
Old 06-02-10, 09:07 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ..

Originally Posted by Relapser
i think its not very respectful to disclose monetary quotes on public forum because its just bad etiquette esp to say quote is too high...
its a labour cost man... the shop owner has rent topay and staff wages i doubt he appreciates having a quote he gave to u personally only to be blurted out and to have hundreds of ppl read how he thinks it costs too much.

just say not very nice thing to do.. how wud u like it if i made a post saying i think u earn too much money and u should make less... get wat i mean??

also its not just paint its hours n hours of sanding. cleaning..prep... sanding.. cleaning... painting. priming... sanding body filling. routing. smoothing etc etc so yea if his work is good then hell yeah 4 grand. if u cant afford it then its simply not his fault... dont make it his problem by screwing him down on price. u do that.. he cuts corners. he cuts corners. your not happy. your not happy. you tell friends. you tell friends. there goes rep. there goes rep. there goes customers. there goes customers then say bye bye business
i do understand what u mean... point taken....but didn't mean any harm to him or his work... just put it out there to get opinions.... have few things so putting so much money in one project make u rethink things...
Old 06-02-10, 09:12 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Ever since I got my car repainted the very first time last summer, I started doing a whole lot of research about body work and compared my paintjob to others and what they paid.

Well said Relapser

There are alot of variables here. First off, a good job should retail anywhere between 2,500 to 5,000.

What type of work do you need? What condition is your car in? What color are you planning to paint it in?

I am not going to lie but 2.500 to 5,000 is a lot of money that many people on here cannot afford or cannot justify on such an old car. I don't blame anyone if they feel that way.

The biggest factor that most people don't know about and/or the shop would not want to disclose is the choice in materials. Top of the line materials such as BASF clear coats can cost approximately $400 and the the BASF Glasurit 90 Base Coats can cost $100 bucks a pint and you need about a gallon to cover a car. If it is a pearl color, then double the amount since you will need both a gallon of the base and the pearl.

The secret is that you don't always need the best stuff to have a good looking paint job. What matters the most of the prep work underneath because that is the foundation. If there are waves, dents, or sand scratches underneath, then the best paint job on top will mean nothing.

Then there are the intangibles that you have to deal with such as the painter's attention to detail. How much pride does he take in his work and customer satisfaction? Would he take a few extra hours to sand and fill some of the things in?

As for Makito, he takes that extra step. Sure, my kit is presentable and most people who saw my car before liked it but there are a few things that bug me so that is the reason why I am having him re-doing my entire kit while we are at it. Even for the price that he charges, he is still better than most of the other high end shops that I have seen and is still cheaper as well.

If you feel that the price he gave you is too high, maybe you should inquire about using slightly more affordable materials so save a few hundred dollars.
yeah that's why i will do.. go talk to him and see if any way to get it lower without sacrificing quality.. maybe materials.?? if not will just have to work it out with him... he did say could do it in stages.... so he does work with u in breaking payments down as the work is in progress... am sure have to pay it off by the time u pick up the car...:> ...

all points taken .. thanks for the input...
Old 06-02-10, 09:40 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

By all means, Makito, aka "Seven Apple," is not "cheap." You get what you pay for. He considers himself to be an "automotive artist" running a "boutique." His work has quite attention to detail.

Off topic, because it is not an SC, but here is a sample of "Seven Apple" work done to my personal car:

Termed "Ghosting," by Makito" on a carbon fiber hood..so that my hood blends in with the rest of front end.

Old 06-02-10, 10:06 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

^ beautiful supra... Paint job is amazing. "ghosting" is very easy.. infact easier than any other parts of the car =)
Old 06-02-10, 10:51 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ..

nice paint job on the supra....
Old 06-02-10, 11:03 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Makito is the MAN... I honestly think his work is worth it. Besides the good paint job, I also like the fact that he is straight up and honest. I dealt with too many shady people before. The reassuring that the painter actually cares about his work and wont cheat you can also be a factor for his price if he wanted.

Also this may be off topic...Rodel, you go to speedwurks in duarte? What did you have done there? I use to frequent there for alignments and tire mounting but they been letting me down. Just trying to figure out why they been doing that.

Last edited by soulific; 06-02-10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 11:40 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

Makito is worth the price! There's a reason why a lot of us get our work done there.
Old 06-03-10, 12:07 AM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drpatel77
i do understand what u mean... point taken....but didn't mean any harm to him or his work... just put it out there to get opinions.... have few things so putting so much money in one project make u rethink things...
dont sweat it. you're well within your right to speak about prices. thats called free market and the more info out there the better for all. nor is it disrespectful. this isnt NASA or black ops.

the dude does good work. if he doesnt feel the need to disclose the quality materials being used thats on him, not you. his work speaks for itself but informing and educating a potential customer base is what business is all about. not secret handshakes over a simple quote.

also, if a little lesser quality paint job is what you can sacrifice in order to reach your mod goals in a more practical way, thats completely understandable as well. everyone has their own idea of whats practical and whats not.
Old 06-03-10, 12:11 AM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soulific
Makito is the MAN... I honestly think his work is worth it. Besides the good paint job, I also like the fact that he is straight up and honest. I dealt with too many shady people before. The reassuring that the painter actually cares about his work and wont cheat you can also be a factor for his price if he wanted.
agree. its hard to put a price on peace of mind.
Old 06-03-10, 01:49 AM
DvSiR
Lead Lap

You can rest assured that what your getting is a guarantee that Makito will do exactly what he says he will do, every time. The man lives for this stuff. Your car becomes his canvas, and like any artist, hes not satisfied until it is completely perfect. I can tell you that he could be charging alot more than he gets, but he doesnt feel the need to price gouge. Word of mouth is the best advertisement and form of flattery that anyone can receive.
Old 06-03-10, 02:23 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been screwed over by shops before (DTM Autobody and M1 Autobody) which did a terrible job on my car because they simply didn't put any effort to fulfill my simple requests. I was just another way for them to make money. I didn't get to speak to the guy who painted the stuff on my car. I was very unhappy with the work that they did and they pretty much told me to deal with it when I told them about it.

When I took my car to Seven Apple, Makito took it in and showed me everything that DTM Autobody failed to do. They had no attention to detail at all. Paint runs, chips, bad technique, bad fitment, etc in places that they didn't expect people to see. Makito fixed all of the problems that the last shop left and wouldn't give the car back until he was satisfied with it himself. He provided excellent customer service to me and that is something that should be factored into the price. He wasn't just trying to get my car in and out so he could make more money but he actually took the time to make sure I was happy with the outcome. He's very honest and loves what he does so he treats your car like his own. I'd gladly give my business to him again and I will next week when my car goes in for repairs to my aero kit.
Old 06-04-10, 09:51 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the dude does good work. if he doesnt feel the need to disclose the quality materials being used thats on him, not you. his work speaks for itself but informing and educating a potential customer base is what business is all about. not secret handshakes over a simple quote.
Makito discloses everything. I actually learned a lot about bodywork (not hands-on of course) from him.
Old 06-13-10, 12:15 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stopped by tonight

My car got completely sanded down...

Why? Because we are putting on one of the best clear coats out there. BASF FTW

Old 06-13-10, 03:47 AM
ogre
Driver

why are you reclearing you car? its not gonna be any better than just buffing it since youre putting it ot over your old clear. are you just trying to get rid of some scratches?

Quick Reply: 3 SCs at Shine Auto Project / Seven Apple Today