Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i know im a day late but damn wiping my chin from DROOOLLLL
Old 05-30-10, 03:51 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..

..will def call him mon and drop by... gotta have him check my car out and check some of ur guys cars there.....
Old 05-31-10, 12:38 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a classy place
Old 05-31-10, 09:15 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Any chance of you catching a picture of the Fate lip?
Old 05-31-10, 09:24 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Just noticed all 3 are wingless. I'm definitely a fan of wingless SC's. Cleannn.
Old 05-31-10, 10:23 PM
JustChill
Lead Lap

i'm sold on buying this kit for my sc.. i was gonna go with the whole 97 bumpers for mine because i didn't like the idea of non flexible fiberglass. i will be visiting autoshine this sat.
Old 06-01-10, 08:31 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

At Shine, you'll usually find these cars: Supra, RX-7 (FC and FD), SC, and 350z.

SCs look best wingless!

For those who have not experienced Shine's service, give them a try. Here's what sets Shine apart from other replica body kit companies: Shine actually knows its products and the cars that they go on.

Also, if you work with Shine's in-house painter, Makito...you tell him what you want and he's actually the one to do the work. So you get what you ask for, unlike many shops where you take to a shop manager, then someone else paints your car.

BTW, the black sc has a Vertex (replica) fenders with a twist.

Last edited by rodel; 06-01-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 04:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Nice, still kinda bummed seeing all the knock offs push the originals out. Kinda makes the AC bumper too common place, turning it in to something not so special.
I hear you hence my decision to get rid of my AC Kit and get the T's Project. But I do like the flexibility the Shine Kit offers compared to the AC. I cracked my bumper a few times with the AC, a more flexibile kit would have been nice. Shine also seems to have excellent customer service. I hope a lot of replica companies don't start knocking this kit but I fear it's only a matter of time before it becomes the next Vertex.
Old 06-02-10, 07:20 AM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ..

so went by the shop yesterday.... got to see all 3 sc's.. the rx-7 and more.... had Makito take a look at my SC and man his quote was high.... >4K...now wondering is it worth it... b/c for some i could get wheels, coilovers and full sound system....??? or could do concrete work in my house or even do flooring in the garage and cabinets..... :>

don't know about auto paint world but if 2-3K would consider but over 4K.. wow..u guys think talk to him see if he can do it for less or rule it out due to high cost...??
Old 06-02-10, 08:45 AM
Relapser
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think its not very respectful to disclose monetary quotes on public forum because its just bad etiquette esp to say quote is too high...
its a labour cost man... the shop owner has rent topay and staff wages i doubt he appreciates having a quote he gave to u personally only to be blurted out and to have hundreds of ppl read how he thinks it costs too much.

just say not very nice thing to do.. how wud u like it if i made a post saying i think u earn too much money and u should make less... get wat i mean??

also its not just paint its hours n hours of sanding. cleaning..prep... sanding.. cleaning... painting. priming... sanding body filling. routing. smoothing etc etc so yea if his work is good then hell yeah 4 grand. if u cant afford it then its simply not his fault... dont make it his problem by screwing him down on price. u do that.. he cuts corners. he cuts corners. your not happy. your not happy. you tell friends. you tell friends. there goes rep. there goes rep. there goes customers. there goes customers then say bye bye business

Last edited by Relapser; 06-02-10 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:50 AM
MindCruzr
Rookie

Those BBS LM's look soooooo tastey! (I wonder what a gunmetal set would look like on my silver 400 )

$4k isn't that high for a complete repaint... I was quoted $3500 at the best paint shop locally just to fix my spidercracked bumpers, chipped hood, and blend... U get what u pay for!

Last edited by MindCruzr; 06-02-10 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 12:52 PM
JustChill
Lead Lap

Is 4 k with the autoshine kit? Or just a repaint to your car? Seeing how well supported he is buy everyone..if I brought my car to him and that was his estimate to me...atleast I know the car would be done to my exact specifications. Quality paint, precise body work, and professional paint and cut and buff. If I had that type of funds I wud prolly get work done by him. But ill be painting my car myself. =D
Old 06-02-10, 01:02 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

My paint job was $3500 @ a local place I use to go to for awhile since highschool. I didnt like the job, they still need to redo it, but I have no time.

so.. NO you dont always get what you pay for with bodywork. You pay what the body person thinks his work is valued at.

This is different vs purchasing parts. As when the part is made there is a value on it. A person price varys depending how much work is needed and what they believe their own labor costs.

I have seen alot from Seven Apple Paint Jobs. They are good and most likely worth the money you pay. Same goes for Platinum VIP.

BTW I still want to know whos blacked out SC is that.. That was my ideal setup by like 100% before.

Last edited by eliteskill; 06-02-10 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 04:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by drpatel77
so went by the shop yesterday.... got to see all 3 sc's.. the rx-7 and more.... had Makito take a look at my SC and man his quote was high.... >4K...now wondering is it worth it... b/c for some i could get wheels, coilovers and full sound system....??? or could do concrete work in my house or even do flooring in the garage and cabinets..... :>

don't know about auto paint world but if 2-3K would consider but over 4K.. wow..u guys think talk to him see if he can do it for less or rule it out due to high cost...??
That does seem little high unless the price includes the kit. If it's $4k with the kit, then I'd go for it since Makito seems to do an excellent job from what I've seen. $4k is still a lot of money to spend at once though.

Originally Posted by JustChill
Is 4 k with the autoshine kit? Or just a repaint to your car? Seeing how well supported he is buy everyone..if I brought my car to him and that was his estimate to me...atleast I know the car would be done to my exact specifications. Quality paint, precise body work, and professional paint and cut and buff. If I had that type of funds I wud prolly get work done by him. But ill be painting my car myself. =D
I agree. He seems to have a good record, but $4k(assuming that is without) seems a little high. I always paint jobs in California were super expensive. I was always told that a good paint job was $4,000-6,000 out in California.

Originally Posted by eliteskill
My paint job was $3500 @ a local place I use to go to for awhile since highschool. I didnt like the job, they still need to redo it, but I have no time.

so.. NO you dont always get what you pay for with bodywork. You pay what the body person thinks his work is valued at.

This is different vs purchasing parts. As when the part is made there is a value on it. A person price varys depending how much work is needed and what they believe their own labor costs.

I have seen alot from Seven Apple Paint Jobs. They are good and most likely worth the money you pay. Same goes for Platinum VIP.

BTW I still want to know whos blacked out SC is that.. That was my ideal setup by like 100% before.
They do a pretty good job on their paint jobs. If it looks as good as the other cars I've seen Makito work on, it would be worth it.
Old 06-02-10, 07:35 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Ever since I got my car repainted the very first time last summer, I started doing a whole lot of research about body work and compared my paintjob to others and what they paid.

Originally Posted by drpatel77

Originally Posted by Relapser
i think its not very respectful to disclose monetary quotes on public forum because its just bad etiquette esp to say quote is too high...
its a labour cost man... the shop owner has rent topay and staff wages i doubt he appreciates having a quote he gave to u personally only to be blurted out and to have hundreds of ppl read how he thinks it costs too much.

just say not very nice thing to do.. how wud u like it if i made a post saying i think u earn too much money and u should make less... get wat i mean??

also its not just paint its hours n hours of sanding. cleaning..prep... sanding.. cleaning... painting. priming... sanding body filling. routing. smoothing etc etc so yea if his work is good then hell yeah 4 grand. if u cant afford it then its simply not his fault... dont make it his problem by screwing him down on price. u do that.. he cuts corners. he cuts corners. your not happy. your not happy. you tell friends. you tell friends. there goes rep. there goes rep. there goes customers. there goes customers then say bye bye business
Well said Relapser

There are alot of variables here. First off, a good job should retail anywhere between 2,500 to 5,000.

What type of work do you need? What condition is your car in? What color are you planning to paint it in?

I am not going to lie but 2.500 to 5,000 is a lot of money that many people on here cannot afford or cannot justify on such an old car. I don't blame anyone if they feel that way.

The biggest factor that most people don't know about and/or the shop would not want to disclose is the choice in materials. Top of the line materials such as BASF clear coats can cost approximately $400 and the the BASF Glasurit 90 Base Coats can cost $100 bucks a pint and you need about a gallon to cover a car. If it is a pearl color, then double the amount since you will need both a gallon of the base and the pearl.

The secret is that you don't always need the best stuff to have a good looking paint job. What matters the most of the prep work underneath because that is the foundation. If there are waves, dents, or sand scratches underneath, then the best paint job on top will mean nothing.

Then there are the intangibles that you have to deal with such as the painter's attention to detail. How much pride does he take in his work and customer satisfaction? Would he take a few extra hours to sand and fill some of the things in?

As for Makito, he takes that extra step. Sure, my kit is presentable and most people who saw my car before liked it but there are a few things that bug me so that is the reason why I am having him re-doing my entire kit while we are at it. Even for the price that he charges, he is still better than most of the other high end shops that I have seen and is still cheaper as well.

If you feel that the price he gave you is too high, maybe you should inquire about using slightly more affordable materials so save a few hundred dollars.

Quick Reply: 3 SCs at Shine Auto Project / Seven Apple Today