SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What will you get after SC? (seriously)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 01:46 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by nextlevelcoupe
I wouldn't get rid of the sc... I would rather part it out than to sell it whole. However, I will get another car to accompany it..
I don't mean to change the topic but to ask very briefly: doesn't the trend of parting out SC's that are otherwise in good updated condition contribute somewhat to their devaluation? Granted there is a limit to their resale value to begin with.
Old 03-21-11, 06:51 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I don't mean to change the topic but to ask very briefly: doesn't the trend of parting out SC's that are otherwise in good updated condition contribute somewhat to their devaluation? Granted there is a limit to their resale value to begin with.
your not off topic and you raise a good point..personally there is one exception to that opinion i have for parting it out. if it was just a financial decision i would part it out to maximize profit but emotionally, If i knew for a fact that it would be taken care of i might consider selling it whole.
Old 03-27-11, 09:37 PM
KahnBB6

your not off topic and you raise a good point..personally there is one exception to that opinion i have for parting it out. if it was just a financial decision i would part it out to maximize profit but emotionally, If i knew for a fact that it would be taken care of i might consider selling it whole.
I agree with you. Years ago I sold my classic Mustang with a few aftermarket modifications and a spare 5.0 block to an owner who wanted it to teach his son about cars. I hated to see it go but that's always the best scenario. Swapping out proven upgraded parts on these cars just undermines the very capabilities people buy them for. They'll never be as exclusive as Supras (or as rare) but it just doesn't make sense to me to part them out unless we're talking about extremely out there modifications that don't represent the original car's image.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-27-11 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 04:11 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Reviving this thread, I would say the new Lexus RC-F looks very promising or I would get a Mercedes SL65 AMG.
Old 11-06-15, 06:53 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

After my SC400 (that I still have) I unded up getting:
-another SC. A 1997 SC300 1 of 120 car that I turboed. (still got it)
-a 2007 Mustang Premium (sold)
- a 2011 Mustang premium (sold)
- a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII (sold)
- a 2001 Acura CL (sold)
- a 1994 Mercedes SL500 (tryinig to sell now)

None of the cars I loved enough to keep as I do my SC's

But maybe because I don't daily drive any of them either. I always have a different fully loaded new Ford as a company car as a daily.
Old 11-07-15, 04:42 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I remember this old thread... I'm currently working on repairing an aging suspension and other worn out parts to get the Sc back in shape but next year I'm looking into starting a new canvas with a Tesla Model S P85+. Its been a long time that I felt the need to get another car but this is definitely the one for me...can't wait!
Old 11-07-15, 04:54 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree about the rc-f platform.. its really a shame that Lexus did not offer it in a twin turboed or at least supercharged edition with around 600ish bhp ..to me they dropped the ball again
Old 11-07-15, 11:07 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember this old thread... I'm currently working on repairing an aging suspension and other worn out parts to get the Sc back in shape but next year I'm looking into starting a new canvas with a Tesla Model S P85+. Its been a long time that I felt the need to get another car but this is definitely the one for me...can't wait!
I test drove the P85d a few months back and man oh man did it blow me away. Truly an exceptional machine. If I had more money I would love to have a Tesla as a daily I feel ashamed to admit it since I consider myself a car guy, but I've never driven anything that accelerates that fast in my life. Stepping on the pedal felt like stepping out of a plane without a parachute.
Old 11-07-15, 11:14 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eknine9
I test drove the P85d a few months back and man oh man did it blow me away. Truly an exceptional machine. If I had more money I would love to have a Tesla as a daily I feel ashamed to admit it since I consider myself a car guy, but I've never driven anything that accelerates that fast in my life. Stepping on the pedal felt like stepping out of a plane without a parachute.
exactly! all the while being masked as a 7 seat family sedan.... I've driven in the Lexus LFA which is completely badass and it still did not feel like a roller coaster ride like that Tesla...full torque from off the line feels insane! That feeling was what sealed the deal for me.
Old 11-07-15, 01:30 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
I agree about the rc-f platform.. its really a shame that Lexus did not offer it in a twin turboed or at least supercharged edition with around 600ish bhp ..to me they dropped the ball again
Well to be fair in terms of horsepower at least, it was supposed to be a competitor against the BMW M4 which makes 425hp. Compared to the RC-F with 467HP, I think the RC-F was slightly heavier though.

Perhaps Lexus didn't see the need to bump up the horsepower because they met the BMW standards or maybe they wanted the engine to be reliable.

If you look at it this way, it's actually been a while for Lexus to enter the sport market. I think the last one was actually the SC400, it gave huge HP compared to other car's of its time. The SC430 wasn't a huge upgrade from the 400 to be honest. Now, with the whole F platform Lexus is trying to get back into the market, they need to make a outstandingly crazy vehicle to get any attention from the customers. Everyone buys Lexus because of their luxury, reliability and their service. We will see what shows up in the future but for now Lexus is on the same level as the competitors, it needs to go one step up.
Old 11-07-15, 01:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Been thinking of changing up my fleet, I'm never one to have much money tied up into my cars and don't believe in car payments. Been thinking of buying a Tacoma to drive around daily and a nice NB Miata to drive around when its nice out. I like having a truck, my old 1993 Toyota pickup runs great but man it looks like its been through a zombie apocolypse and the a/c doesn't work.
Old 11-07-15, 02:02 PM
howie954
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would trade mine for another AMG TODAY!!!!
Old 11-07-15, 03:22 PM
SupraMn
Driver School Candidate

Another MKIII Supra.
'89, paint it anthracite, 2jz swap and find some Super Advans.
Old 11-07-15, 11:52 PM
KahnBB6

I don't feel like moving on from my SC. I like it too much to want to sell it. That said, I'd like to get another vehicle at some point. But for a similar kind of model it also has to have a manual transmission from the factory.

The RC/RC-F chassis looks beautiful and seems to perform really well but no manual loses my interest. I could care less how fast it shifts. Lexus could at least develop a DCT for it. At least they all have Torsen LSD's standard or optional on the F-Sport versions.

Off the top of my head without getting into the cost:
2015+ Mustang w/6-speed
1st Gen used CTS-V Coupe or Wagon w/6-speed
ATS-V Coupe w/6-speed
BMW 235i or M2 w/6-speed (Hey! They finally made a 3-Series again instead of the 5-Series they currently call a 3&4 Series!)
Subaru WRX STI?
Focus RS?
FR-S... drove two of them and they're great as-is in my opinion.
And as a cool, very simple commuter car the upcoming Toyota S-FR coupe just seems great.

And more practically:

98-00 LS400's
'95-'99 Mercedes E300D diesel sedans
Jeep Renegade in base 1.4L turbo AWD 6-speed trim
Transit Connect (Completely a utility vehicle. LOOK at the huge factory option list!)
Jeep Wrangler hard top two-doors... *might* be appealing if they ever offer a proper 4cyl turbo-diesel with 6-speed manual that gets 28-30mpg.

Suzuki Samurai (hardtop versions) with VW 1.6TD/1.9TD diesel swaps.
1985-91 VW Vanagon Syncros but the money those things go for now is just unbelievable. You could buy many Supra MKIV TT's for less... my jaw hits the floor when I see the prices of those things.

Electric conversions also interest me but... the cost for any appreciable horsepower is tremendous and the best current battery technology still sucks. You can't take most factory EV's (let alone conversions) on road trips and most of them are still pretty slow. I give it 10-15 years before that all changes. I will agree with the posters here who have driven Tesla P85 and P85D's though.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-08-15 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Grammatical corrections
Old 11-08-15, 01:41 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I ended up getting the LS430 I wanted back when I first posted in this thread. I'm looking at getting an E92 328i coupe or a cheap MKIV Supra.

Quick Reply: What will you get after SC? (seriously)