SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

?? i just bought a sc400 now it doesnt start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 10:56 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation ?? i just bought a sc400 now it doesnt start?

ok i just bought my first "classy" car and i must say im pretty unpleased.

ok so i live in Ga and i found a 1994 sc400 for $2900 in Florida so today(sunday may 9th) i drive down to florida to pick up the car. (describing car move on to 2nd paragraph for the problem)it is very nice for being $2900 the only things that were wrong were a little cosmetic/small mechanical fixes which was crack sunroof and passenger window fell of track so i didnt go down but the exterior only had 1 dime size dent on the passenger door and good paint. interior was nice for bing 16yr old leather minor rips in rear seat and just a little cracking on seats in front.

anyway the problem that arose during my 6hr drive back home after i bought it from a used car dealer.... b4 i got the car i floored it to test drive(owner got mad) but i had to be sure everything was right.... anyway all seemed good than, fast forward to 4 hrs later on the interstate im driving along about 4 hrs into the drive in cruise control than i hit the brakes because of traffic than BAM problem the motor cuts off on me rpms drop to zero but mph gauge is still at my speed...... ok i pull over pissed off try cranking it for a good 10mins/////////// ok its starts, i drive another 5-6mins tops and i happens again this time just driving without cruise control or tapping the brakes. now im more pissed bc i know nothing about this car yet and my first thought is FUEL PUMP?? no its gets fuel just fine it just need to crank. so anyway i wait 25 mins and it starts again. im on the road maybe 2 mins and it happens 1 last time and never started back up. i had to get my buddies to tow my car home...... my car has 190,xxx miles if thats a problem too

friends dad said he ran in to a similar prob with his pontiac and it was just a crank sensor...... WHAT COULD MINE BE!!!??? it rediculous i thought lexus was suppose to be reliable, hence the only reason i sold my 240sx to get a nice DD that i dont have to worry aboout except for oil/fluids and gas....

HELP ME I HAVE COLLEGE TO GO TO my 1st absence is going to be because of this!!!!!!! i hate cars right now

Last edited by iridebmx; 05-09-10 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-09-10, 11:01 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's engine ECU.
Old 05-10-10, 05:33 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

why do you think that? why would it go out so randomly? no car ive ever seen just shut off do to the ecu.... lexus.... =/
Old 05-10-10, 06:12 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have a check engine light?

Jonny
Old 05-10-10, 07:11 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

actually yes =( i just noticed it
Old 05-10-10, 07:54 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

anyone????? i regret buying this car i just need to fix it asap and resale it... for cheaper than i bought the damn thing for.... i didnt have the car 4hrs before it broke and i look EVERYWHERE online and get 10 different COMMON problems and answers...

timing
fuel pump
crank sensor
ignition
ecu
fuel ecu
wiring
overheating
and it goes on and on...

ifi replace all that and its something else i am $2000 down the drain because parts and labor.... im 19 and in college this car is ridiculous for me to try and handle please someone help me out no one around me knows anything about these cars.... =/
Old 05-10-10, 08:20 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It could be the fuel pump ECU. That is similar to the problem my SC had when I bought mine. Here is a link to a mod that may be able to help: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tures-faq.html.
Old 05-10-10, 08:32 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just give it to me
Old 05-10-10, 08:33 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
anyone????? i regret buying this car i just need to fix it asap and resale it... for cheaper than i bought the damn thing for.... i didnt have the car 4hrs before it broke and i look EVERYWHERE online and get 10 different COMMON problems and answers...
calm down and pull the check engine light code. that should help narrow it down. the fuel ecu is a definite possibility, and actually a pretty easy fix.
so stop looking up list of millions of reasons why a car won't start (its not going to help you at all) go out to your car and pull the check engine code and report back here.
Old 05-10-10, 08:37 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

^(DX3 --- just told me how to do that) i will have a code by the end of today(thanks by the way)

ur right i do need to calm down but i need to go to schoo!!!l haha

also will the mod Kira x posted be safe? whats the likely hood it will fix my problem? and doesnt that cause the pump to always be on once i turn my ignition? (like no priming)

Last edited by iridebmx; 05-10-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 08:58 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
ok i just bought my first "classy" car and i must say im pretty unpleased.
anyway the problem that arose during my 6hr drive back home after i bought it from a used car dealer.... b4 i got the car i floored it to test drive(owner got mad) but i had to be sure everything was right.... anyway all seemed good than, fast forward to 4 hrs later on the interstate im driving along about 4 hrs into the drive in cruise control than i hit the brakes because of traffic than BAM problem the motor cuts off on me rpms drop to zero but mph gauge is still at my speed...... ok i pull over pissed off try cranking it for a good 10mins/////////// ok its starts, i drive another 5-6mins tops and i happens again this time just driving without cruise control or tapping the brakes. now im more pissed bc i know nothing about this car yet and my first thought is FUEL PUMP?? no its gets fuel just fine it just need to crank. so anyway i wait 25 mins and it starts again. im on the road maybe 2 mins and it happens 1 last time and never started back up. i had to get my buddies to tow my car home......
If you just bought the car from a dealer, why don't you bring it back & have the seller address the problems with the car; isn't there a lemon law that protects against this? I'm pretty sure that you can take this guy to small claims for selling a car that breaks down only hours after purchase. I know that when purchasing a used car, you'll get it "as is" But damn.
Did you buy the car with any kind of warranty ?
Old 05-10-10, 09:02 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

no warranty was available but i was ok with that because i test drove it kinda hard to make sure everything was ok. then the whole time we were doing papers i made him leave it on just to see if it ran good like he said and it did.... but that wasnt the case 4hrs later....

also theres got to be some kind of law but i did sign off on all those papers....=/ trust me i am pissed but feel like theres nothing i can do anymore plus its a 6hr drive back.... doubt id make it! haha
Old 05-10-10, 09:08 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A car breaking down once does not qulaify for a lemon law. There are very few states that offer any type of time period to return a used car. And I am guessing a used car dealer wouldn't even look at the car if you brought it back to him.

Unless you are <18 you are pretty much on your own.

Glad to help, let us know what codes you get or else just look it up on

www.troublecodes.net

Jonny
Old 05-10-10, 09:27 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my sc about a month ago, I drove it home and parked it. When I got back in and attempted to start it a few minutes later is wouldn't start. Turned out to be a failed ecu. So, it can happen that randomly, unfortunately. But if you have a cel I don't think it can be the ecu.
Old 05-10-10, 09:31 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

a wada what? cel??

Quick Reply: ?? i just bought a sc400 now it doesnt start?