Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 02:13 PM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used this thread about a year ago, didn't even use the washers and tilt is still working. Next time it happens I'll put the garden hose washer in place. Great long term thread everyone can use eventually.
Old 04-08-07, 10:04 AM
silencer92
Rookie

I just performed the repair myself, on my 1992 lexus sc300. The instructions were perfectly described and my tilt system is in full-operation, rather than only the Telescoping feature working BEFORE the repair. 10 kudos for your DIY write-up! (thumbs up!)
Old 04-08-07, 01:06 PM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the old bump, never would have found this. I'm going to do this today, after I get to the hardware shop.
Old 04-08-07, 04:09 PM
comoSC
Pole Position

On my car the tilt works flawlessly, but it will not go in or out. Does anybody know if there is an easy fix for this. Thanks guys!
Old 04-08-07, 08:17 PM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

Okay, how do I remove the worm wheel? I tried removing the nut, not sure if I'm supposed to, but the nut moved along with the wheel. If I'm supposed to remove the nut, can someone direct to the other end of the screw holding the nut so I can hold it in place while I remove the nut?
Old 04-09-07, 07:48 AM
bd1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by comoSC
On my car the tilt works flawlessly, but it will not go in or out. Does anybody know if there is an easy fix for this. Thanks guys!
i had same problem w/ my 93sc. it tilts ok but no tele. when i pressed button i could hear click but no in/out movement. i just kept pressing a few times and banging on the bottom of the wheel at the same time and it started working ok again - but to be safe, once adjusted ok i just turned off the AUTO - less chance for it to get stuck again.
Old 04-09-07, 08:25 AM
silencer92
Rookie

Ok, removing the worm wheel is easy. You simply put pliers on one end of it and pry it out, carefully, and it will slide THROUGH the nut. I tried removing the nut too, but found that it turned the wheel too. Once you remove the wheel, put 2 washers or rings the size and width of the washer, BEHIND the wheel. THEN, put 1 washer, or ring, in FRONT of the wheel, and place the wheel back THROUGH the nut and into it's center position. I had problems turning the tilt motor ON right after this repair, so what I did was, I pushed the switch in the UP position several times. I.E up,up,up,up,up. that started the tilt motor and it went up flawlessly. Mine also did not go down all the way at 1st. In the event when that happens, simply go back to the NUT, turn it so that you see the steering wheel go upwards, just about an inch or a half, then press the switch up several times again and this time it should work. Any questions just ask me, but remember we should give all due credit to C____irie for his/her write-up, as I would not have been able to figure this out if it werent for his/her posting this thread. Thanks Again C_____irie!
Old 04-09-07, 01:42 PM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

Alright thanks silencer, gonna try it again now...
Old 04-09-07, 08:21 PM
kabilano
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question nut for tilt stuck, strips blue gear

OK, I've read the entire thread, and mine's the same as #80 where the nut won't loosen. It just turns the blue gear, further stripping it against the worm. It looks like I need to get something like a small crow's foot wrench onto the flats of the shaft behind the gear. Any more ideas than just keep stripping it?

Failing a solution--or until I get it fixed--how can I manually lower it like some of you have done? Just bought this (95 SC400) yesterday and wife is pining to drive it. But this needs attention first because it's stuck in the up position--you know--like a school bus.

Last edited by kabilano; 04-17-07 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-09-07, 10:36 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kabilano
OK, I've read the entire thread, and mine's the same as #22 (I think) where the nut won't loosen. It just turns the blue gear, further stripping it against the worm gear. It looks like I need to get something like a small crow's foot wrench onto the flats of the shaft behind the gear. Any more ideas than just keep stripping it?

Failing a solution--or until I get it fixed--how can I manually lower it like some of you have done? Just bought this (95 SC400) yesterday and wife is pining to drive it. But this needs attention first because it's stuck in the up position--you know--like a school bus.

See post #82.
Old 04-10-07, 12:11 AM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

Okay, I haven't fixed mine yet because the washers were too small . But I got it now. For me, I couldn't get the very first nut off, the one that holds back the washers and the wheel. Not even sure how I eventually got it off. It was either the drop of lube that I put on it the other day that finally soaked through or me just playing around with the worm wheel inside. Either way, the nut finally turned without turning all the other parts . So once I got that nut off, I took off the washer behind it, then the worm wheel over the other nut. When I placed my own washer over the nut, it wouldn't... too small . O well, now I just need to buy some.
O and kabilano, not sure about you but when the nut was stuck and turning the worm wheel, it also moved the steering wheel at the same time. So you can use that as a sort of fix until you permanently fix it.
Old 04-17-07, 05:51 AM
kabilano
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tips if you're having trouble:

1) If the blue gear turns when you try to loosen the nut: First, don't worry about stripping the wheel all around; you're just stripping a small part of the shoulder, and this gear is about 1/4" thick. Carefully wedge a 1/4" screwdriver blade between the gear teeth and the upper right of the housing. You're applying slight clockwise screwdriver torque in such a way that the gear can't rotate counter-clockwise. With your other hand, loosen the nut. (By the way, prayer helps. I'm a Christian, and when I finally realized I'd asked everone but God for help I prayed--and this solution came immediately.)

2) The number of washers you need might differ depending on washer thickness and the amount of wear. Guessing here, it looks like the entire shaft should be filled (loosely, not binding) with either washers or gear--from the metal washer on back. I had so much space to fill that I used 4-5 behind and one in front. Or maybe my washers were thinner than yours--something in the used parts bin.

3) Someone on here couldn't separate the clamshell after removing the three screws. It puzzled me briefly too. The first thing you need to do is move the steering wheel all the way out so the clamshell is more exposed. Then apply pressure to the bottom shell near the joining seam on each side in order to release internal plastic clips.

The DIY's on here are great! Yet to tackle: headlight condensation and deck lift supports.
The following users liked this post:
mfg_guy (07-10-20)
Old 04-22-07, 12:29 PM
k93
Driver

yooooooooooooooooo just did it thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, working great and looking great with the new black interior i just put in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-07, 05:36 PM
JamaicanSC
Rookie

Yeah so finally I opened up my steering column after months of delay, but the wheel and worm looks fine. It's not warped like pics that I've seen on the ealier post. My Telescoping and Tilt still work great but my auto tilt/telescoping just doesn't seem to work. I'm totally lost now.
Old 04-29-07, 02:51 PM
blange400
Driver

OK I think I missed a specific answer on this... If the system works fine but just makes noise on the return, is the answer lubing the worm and gear or something else?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair