Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 10:00 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JamaicanSC
I'm having problems removing the clamshell around the steering column, are there any pics of this. I removed the screws, and it just doesn't seem to come off.
You removed all 3 screws ? If you did... I couldnt remove mine very easily either... So I got a thin screwdriver and wedged it in there and broke it slowly and easily apart so not to damage anything.
Old 09-03-06, 06:36 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I love this thread. Fixed my LS's wheel 5 months ago and my SC's went out today and I will fix it tomorrow. If it were'nt for this thread I'd be shelling out $600+ for new motors each time (like I did once before I read this).
Old 09-07-06, 10:45 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

my sc 400 have a tilt problem it will move in and out but it wont go up and down .will this fix it?
Old 09-07-06, 12:50 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusboy94
my sc 400 have a tilt problem it will move in and out but it wont go up and down .will this fix it?
Yes. Thats exactly what mine was doing and I was getting mad I had to sit all weird b/c my wheel was stuck up.
Old 09-07-06, 01:09 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

wonderful so in gonna adress this issue as soon as i get off work ,thanks for the info
Old 09-08-06, 06:42 PM
2JZGTE-SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pito
I don't hear any click or any noise when I press the button for the steering. However, when I put the key in the ignition the wheel comes out and when I pull the key out thw wheel goes back in. I should point out that it does this whether or not the auto button is pushed in or not.

I have been tryin to do a search on fuse location but have turned up nothing. I also read about a possible relay issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
same here... but mine makes no noise, and does not move in any direction at all.

any ideas on this?
Old 09-11-06, 01:59 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

does any one know where the relay is located?
Old 09-12-06, 12:50 PM
ridox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DM-S4
Yup, I did it as well. Although I could not find the right washer, just by cleaning and regreasing with that yellow stuff, it works great. I took off the auto tilt so it will be used alot less.
i had pretty much the same experience. i got it all opened up cleaned out all the black gook that was in there. then reused some of the grease that was accumulated at the top and reassembled everything. works great now. thanks!
Old 09-12-06, 03:43 PM
Tim
Pole Position

Recently my telescope wouldn't work, but the up and down would. I opened her up and messed around and still nothing. Just out of curiousity i hit the telescope lever 6 times inward and now it works fine. Weird, but hope this helps someone out there with the same problem.
Old 09-12-06, 06:41 PM
2JZGTE-SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
does any one know where the relay is located?

I think its under the drivers panel, like right under the steering wheel....someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 01-18-07, 04:29 PM
Snorkel
Driver School Candidate

Default Tilt Motor For Sale

Genuine Lexus part, new, #89231-50050. Purchased from Lexus Parts Mall 9/06 but not used. $275.00 invested, will sell for $150.00 plus shipping.

This motor was not used, as the problem was a snap ring/washer on the end of the motor shaft that was jammed against the tilt/swivel assembly. The motor made a slight 'squeek' when the manual switch was activated but would not move up or down. The dealer said I needed a new motor, to the tune of $800.00 including installation. I decided to see if I could fix it myself, so ordered the part from Lexus Parts Mall. While starting the disassembly work, I discovered the shaft stop jammed against the tilt assembly. I decided to keep the motor 'just in case' but have had no further problems & decided to sell it. The foil bag has been opened but it is in it's original box and factory packing. This was purchased for a 1999 LS400 but I am sure it fits other models. Original paperwork and invoice will be included. It is NOT
the same motor with attached gearbox assembly that is discussed, with pictures, in this forum.
Contact me at: stephey@charter.net
Old 01-19-07, 12:52 PM
silencer92
Rookie

Oh GEE! I absolutely NEEDED THIS ARTICLE! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH C____IRI!E
Old 02-11-07, 08:17 PM
goodwinj
Driver School Candidate

Default c_irie's example is still good to go.

I had the problem with my telescoping steering wheel, but thanks to c_irie's pictures and instructions, it is working like a charm again. Thanks again c_irie. I love this Site. It has literally saved me Hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
Old 03-12-07, 08:35 AM
austxlexus
Rookie

Yes, It works like a champ and only took me 5 minutes to make the fix!
Old 03-20-07, 12:36 PM
philly
Driver School Candidate

do any one know where i can get a replacement plastic gear from mine is broken into 3 pieces

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair