Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 04:10 PM
rmsc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this fixed my problem.
Old 08-02-10, 10:05 PM
SGV
Driver School Candidate

Nice. thanks for the info.
Old 08-05-10, 05:33 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up, and a simple fix to a potentially expensive problem. Just did it to my '95 SC400, and it works like new again. This is at least the 3rd CL tech article that has saved me big bucks within the last year.
Old 09-03-10, 12:27 PM
Nicaidas
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here (awesome forum by the way ) When I found this thread I was really looking forward to doing this fix, since the dealer had told me "approximately $500" when I asked about getting rid of the squealing sound. Needless to say, I didn't want to spend that kind of money just to get rid of a mildly annoying sound.

Unfortunately, when I removed the plastic steering column cover I discovered that the inside of my steering column looks totally different than what was shown in the pictures taken by c_irie. I haven't done much work on cars before, but it seemed like this was a job that just about anyone could do, so I was quite disappointed to see that I was apparently out of luck.

My auto-tilt works fine, I have never had any issues with it hesitating or being stuck. It just makes a squealing sound (which is often quite loud) when it retracts all the way up after removing the key. When it comes down after the key has been inserted it doesn't make any noise.

My vehicle is a 2000 LS400, with a JT8BH28F*Y0173*** VIN. After looking at the TSIBs it seems that my vehicle received *some* of the fixes, but not all of them, and I guess that's why it looks different.

Attached is a picture of the left side of my steering column with the cover removed. Can anyone take a look and see if there is anything I can do? I would greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Tilt steering repair-ls400-steering-column.jpg  
Old 09-03-10, 06:23 PM
Nicaidas
Driver School Candidate

After a more careful inspection, I discovered that the noises I was hearing were coming from an entirely different spot than what other members have discussed in this thread.

I have attached a photo showing the culprit (circled in red), and I assume this is the "telescopic steering shaft" (correct me if I am wrong, I probably am ) Anyway, all I had to do was lube it up with some molybdenum lithium grease and that totally solved my problem.

I was hearing two distinctly different sounds; a high-pitched squealing when the wheel was tilting upwards, and then after the wheel had tilted fully upwards I would hear a low groaning sound as the wheel was telescopically moving backwards. The higher-pitched sound *seemed* to be coming from a different spot... but I figured I would try lubing this thing anyway, and to my amazement both sounds have disappeared.

I know there probably aren't too many LS400s out there with the same steering column configuration that I have, but I hope this will help someone down the road who might be confused when they see their steering column looks different from the original pictures c_irie uploaded.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, I probably wouldn't have even attempted to do what I did if I didn't see this thread first. (And I sure am glad I didn't pay the dealer the quoted "$500+" for just a little grease!)
Attached Thumbnails Tilt steering repair-steering-column-ls400-2.jpg  
Old 09-05-10, 12:55 PM
2JZ_SC300
Driver

I hate hidden screws.

i cracked my lower plastic steering column cover cause i didnt' notice a 3rd hidden screw..it was hiding just behind the steering wheel...i had to actually turn the wheel a bit to see that it was there.

for anyone wondering, i have a '93 sc300.
there are two screws on the bottom of the plastic cover but the 3rd is to the right of the steering wheel on the plastic cover.

So if your sitting in the drivers seat looking straight on .... you turn the wheel slightly and look past the cruise control lever and you see a lil hole and screw going into the plastic cover.

Other wise everything went and worked just fine.

I don't know about anyone else but it pissed me off a bit seeing a screw placed in such a gay location.....and would have helped if mentioned in the first post...
Old 09-20-10, 03:42 PM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Worked for me! Thanks!
Old 09-21-10, 01:01 AM
ViP_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Default Tilt steering repair

Ok so I got to work on this after reading all 15 pages of helpful info and looking for people with the same issues as mine but cant seem to find anyone with the right answers for my issue.

BEFORE I took anything apart:
Telescoping mechanism in/out works perfect AT THIS TIME..., Tilt mechanism is inoperative. So I thought I had the same issue as everyone else with the blue plastic gear needing washers.

I started dissasembaling, took the blue plastic gear out and cleaned everything. So I did a quick test on the tilt motor without the blue gear on the shaft and hit the joystick down a few times nothing happens (no clicks, no grinding, no movement). I hit it up and I see the worm moves for 3 seconds and stops, I hit it up again and it moves another 3 seconds getting weaker and weaker every time I hit the joystick up, after 4 goes the motor stops spinning and after 5 min of the motor "resting", this repeats.

I guessed the motor must be bad so I take it out (what a pain!)

AFTER I took the motor off the column and unplugged it: (I never touched the telescoping mechanism)... Now when I try to use the telescoping effect (in)= I have to click the joystick inward like 4 times because it moves n stops, moves n stops...
When I click the joystick outward nothing happens, but I noticed a pattern (I guess its an override code or something) if I click the joystick outward 8 times fast on the 8th click the steering moves out a lil and stops, this repeats clicking the joystick 8 times and moving and stoping again n again till its all the way out.

THIS IS THE POINT WHERE IM STUCK. What do i do now? is my telescoping mechanism fu#*ed up now and how? Is my tilt motor fried? Anyone with info PLEASE share your 2¢.
Attached Thumbnails Tilt steering repair-tilt-motor-sc300.jpg   Tilt steering repair-imag0222.jpg   Tilt steering repair-imag0224.jpg  
Old 09-21-10, 10:29 AM
ViP_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Help anyone?
Old 10-11-10, 02:54 PM
JOHIII
Driver School Candidate

Smile

This fixed my problem. Thanks for the write up! I had a bit of trouble popping the gear out. It required a little more wiggle and kept straightening my paper clips but it eventually came out.
Old 10-11-10, 03:45 PM
240sxrb30
Driver School Candidate

well mine doesn't make a noise or move at all. is there a fuss for the tilt that be blown?
Old 10-11-10, 05:04 PM
soarerdd
Driver School Candidate

i bought my sc and ended up being broke for now so meanwhile i save to get it on the road, I've been fixes the cheap stuff and THIS is one of them now. thanks for the advice c irie. I really appreciate the time and hassle to take pix. I feel I know exactly what to do now even tho I have never popped the column open.
Old 10-21-10, 05:55 PM
adores
Driver School Candidate

Wow, I guess I will try this!
Old 10-24-10, 08:19 AM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Default great thread

Tilt stopped working on Wednesday and I was prepared to take it to my mechanic knowing that it would be expensive. Decided to do a search on this forum and found this thread. Opened it up on Saturday morning and 30 minutes later I was back in business, including the trip to the hardware store for washers. At first I had problems getting the gear off but found that by slightly rotating the oblong nut in front of the gear with a crescent wrench, it released the tension on the gear from the worm gear and the gear came off easily.
Old 10-31-10, 12:17 AM
OCLEX03
Driver

so what if the motor works fine for the in and out movements but its COMPLETELY SILENT when you're trying to get it to go in up and down movements?

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair