SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My worst upgrade...Help?

Old 03-13-01, 03:07 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jbrady...I feel your pain...Want 4 at a great price????....LOL.
I studied these tires for awhile and the tirerack even rated this tire above several others in the same class. There was never any mention of straight line tracking. Tire tests never seem to mention tracking... Perhaps its a Lexus sensitive issue, idunno. the 50mm offset that stock rims use is pretty high, maybe that also is a factor.

I also had SP4000s on a 92 Camry we use for snow days and utility. They're the quietest tires ever driven on....That said, the Michelin MXVs we have on that car now spank the SP4000 in every other category. If Michelin could only make a quiet tire!
Old 03-13-01, 07:37 PM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dunlops, SP9000

I had thought I figured out that the best tire to get next time is the Dunlop SP9000. But all this negative talk about the Dunlop tires has me wondering....do the SP9000's give that "off-centered" feel versus the stock tires?

Thanks all!

Jeff
Old 03-13-01, 08:57 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default understeer vs. understeer

I have no idea if my car is oversteering or understeering maybe you can help me. I was running some *****ty Sumitomo tires before and the car felt crappy even at 17" on all corners. I had 255 in the back and 235 frt. ...I recently switched to 235 on all four corners with toyo proxes because they are great on the rain and somehow I feel the car more stable...actually a lot more stable. I can manage to loose the rear end but very controlled, if I let go off the gas I can correct the drift predictably...before it was like break loose the rear and say goodbye because it was not possible to regain control.

Mind
Old 03-14-01, 05:43 AM
MISURA

With SP9000's in stock size I noticed no problems with directional stability. In fact I didn't find them too crisp at turn in. SP8000 have better turn in but are worse in every other department. The SP9000's are a good tire. My 2c. That said, I'm trying out the Potenza RE730's next ($$ and wear thing).

With my '92 I notice it oversteers (note: 92-94 have smaller sway bars up front). I found it good on the track like this.

Couple things: I notice 235/45R17 being mentioned as the plus one size. Don't 245/45R17 give the same circumference as stock(used tire calc. from defunct site, r.i.p.)?

Secondly, there are a lot of 275, 285 and even 295's being mentioned for rear use. I didn't get a clear conclusion from posts about a month back as to whether 275's will fit in the rear without rolling the lip OR trimming the sheet metal on the inside lip. I can only fit one finger above my tire in the rear so the tire would have to stay inside the lip. Abdul, you seemed to play it safe going with 235's all around. ???
Old 03-14-01, 06:20 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

According to my math the 235/45/17 is a closer match to the OEM 215/60/15... Other year models with other sizes may be a bit different. idunno. Either size will be pretty close.

I didn't have to do anything on 40mm offset 17x8.5 wheels and 275/40/17s in the back to get them to fit... The rears should be 9.5 or 10 in to support a 275 though. These have NEVER EVER rubbed.

I went with 275s in back due to the need for extra traction to hold the power. It still breaks loose in 2nd on dry pavement once the turbo spools.
Old 03-14-01, 07:08 AM
abdul10000
Driver

Hello MISURA,

I do believe that a 275 could be fit in the back with no fender rolling, but a wide with high positive off-set rim should be installed. For an example, my current setup is 17"-8" with 35mm off-set, with this setup the tire is very close to the fender, if I decide to move to a bigger tire I should get a wheel that goes further inward, so lets say I will get a 9.5 wheel. Most of the additional 1.5 inches should go in ward, which means that the off-set on the 9.5" wheel should be,
35mm=1.3"+ the additional 1.5" =2.8". 2.8" = 71mm.

Unfortunately, I never heard of a wheel that has a 71mm off-set, so that means that I will have to go closer to the fender with something like 48mm or even 45mm.

Now I have to tell you something, I don't think all the information we get from the wheel supplier is true. The tire rack is saying that my current wheel is 8" wide with a 35mm off-set. I believe that is not true, when I had my wheels balanced, the wheels were measured for width and they were 8.5" wide. I called up the tire rack and asked them about this, and their reply did not make sense. in conclusion, some times you have to do your own tests to know what works the best, and yes definitely a 275 could fit with no problem to the best of my knowledge. Hope this help.
Old 03-14-01, 07:26 AM
abdul10000
Driver

Scott,

I am not sure if you ever been to sound performance, but over there, there is a guy called Dave who hangs around all the time. He owns a supra NA with an F-MAX turbo kit, he did do some modification and installed a VPC with larger injectors, his car pushes something like 500 HP @ 20PSi, very nice. Although he is running 275 nitto drag tires in the back he is still spinning his back tires,I know that because I rode with him 2 weeks ago, and I attribute that to his deferential. If you install a LSD and better tires that will solve the tire spin problem, I think! What do you think?

Abdulrahman
Old 03-14-01, 08:02 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I wish I had a good shop like SP in my back yard... In Cincinnati, I've found no one that knows what they're doing.

I think the LSD would help...As would BFG or Nitto Drag radials, but I wounldn't want DRs on the car all the time, just at the track... DRs wouldn't help as much with a 40 punch which is where most street racing is done around here, my car almost hooks in 2nd.... The LSD and 5spd combo gives a taller gearing, which isn't necessarily bad... I've been thinking about this for a while... The stock rear end is 4.08-I think... and I thought the LSD was 3.76 or around there... With 8% taller gearing and more even power distribution with the limited slip, that would greatly limit wheelspin off the line and probably help my 1/4 mile time quite a bit.....Still in search of that 12.0 timeslip... 11s will have to wait a while.
Old 03-14-01, 10:12 AM
MISURA

Thanks for the info. Abdulrahman, Scott. Your absolutely right about the 235's. I forgot about the SC300 vs. 400 stock sizes (215/60R15 vs. 225/55R16).
If I can find rims in the proper size for the rear, that I like, I think I'll go with the 275's.

Re: LSD. You can get two different Torsens depending on if the Supra is 6speed manual TT or 4speed auto TT (3.267:1 vs. 3.769:1, respectively). I'm still waiting for shipment on a 3.76 LSD. I was shipped a non-LSD by accident the 1st time. $#@! I'll post back with results once the install is done.
Old 03-14-01, 12:03 PM
abdul10000
Driver

[IMG]"C:\My Documents\oversteer VS understeer.bmp"[/IMG]

mind,

As you can see from the picture, the picture at the right shows a car understeering when making a right hand turn, meaning its front end is taking the turn so widely. On the other hand, we have the car that is oversteering in the left picture, meaning its rear end is braking lose. My car used to oversteer when I had very bad tires on, but when I installed the SP9000 the car was way better. Although, I installed the tokico/eibach set, the car nature did not change much; it just turned a little stiffer all the way around.

The SP9000 are very great tires, and they are probably the best all around tire in the market, and with a price of $155 for the 275-40/17, well, I don't think I need to comment about that.

Abdulrahman

P.S Mind is that you, I mean does mind90 = mindflux

Old 03-14-01, 05:08 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default abdul

Abdul,

Mind=mind90=mindflux same person

Sorry but could not access your drive from here heh heh heh

anyhow yeap I am also running 235 on all four corners actually going down from fatter 255s in the back...the 275, 295 I hear should grip/look awesome but I am sure these cars ride like ***** on the turns...but then again these are drag cars.

The recommended plus size is 235/45/17s for an exact match to the OEM 16" anything else will be too small or too big.

18" should be ok too but I don't really know the correct plus size for those. I am sure is not 275 or 295. unless running smaller profile than 30???

Abdul you still got the strut bar? did you feel any difference before and after installation?

I have a new custom made strut bar I am installing in about a month...still waiting for the custom made stainless steel brackets to be made. I might also make a hidden rear bar but I am wondering about it's need.

Jbrady:

I am in the process of sorting out the variable fuel pump ECU located in the LH rear panel in the SCs. The service manual shows some interesting squematics. I am sorting out a main problem with the lexus fuel system due to this variable pressure and using the same idea in the Kenne Bell's BAP [boost-a-pump] I am waiting for the TRD fuel pressure regulator, a new air fuel ratio monitor and my Cyberdyne gauges to arrive to map out the fuel in my car... I have also custom fabricated a new air intake duct and replaced the old 9" K&N with an all metal high flow filter. I wanted to ask you if you know about the Bosch fuel pumps out there that are so much refered to me by Porsche owners. I was about to spend on a Paxton inline pump and heard that they are not good keeping the correct pressure at WOT? any good places that sell this Bosch pump?

thanks,

Mind
Old 03-14-01, 07:07 PM
abdul10000
Driver

Hello mind,

The strut bar did little, maybe I shouldn't say little, but I should say did not affect the every day driving like the tokico/eibach setup did. In some certain turns I felt the difference. I don't know if you remember my previous post at ladman, but at that time when I first installed the bar I felt that the steering effort went down, meaning that I didn't have to steer as much compared to without the strut bar.

I don't know why do you think that the SC is not very good at turns, I find the SC with a little tuning an amazing handler. Remember light wheels is a key factor in good handling, add to that good tires.

Abdulrahman
Old 03-14-01, 07:33 PM
abdul10000
Driver

One mor thing,

SC300: 215/60-15 total diameter is 20.78"
SC400: 225/55-16 total diameter is 20.87"

275/35-18 total diameter is 21.78"
275/40-17 total diameter is 21.33"
Old 03-15-01, 02:18 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Mind,

Incon Systems of Australia has a US facility in Florida. They are very fuel system savy and would be my choice for someone to talk to. I would strongly suggest purchasing from them as well if you find their info helpful. They are good guys and have good pricing and it pays to support these types of shops.

INCON Systems
490 NORTH ST., SUITE 112,
LONGWOOD, FL 32750

Telephone 407.831.6040

FAX 407.831.5036

Old 03-15-01, 02:25 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Mind,

what about the Supra TT fuel pump? Its nearly a drop in installation in the SC300... Its supposed to be good for around 400-450hp. I think it also supports the toyota/lexus dual voltage that the fuel pump ecu spits out???? Its quieter than any Paxton or whatever. You can also double up on the TT pumps in the tank and run and extra line if you're really gonna get crazy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My worst upgrade...Help?