SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-16, 12:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah polarity doesn' matter, you need to use the THA pin and the correct ground 4 or 5. I think it is 4 because its a 5v sensor and pin 4 is the ground used for the map sensor which is 5v.
Old 03-27-16, 07:58 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah polarity doesn' matter, you need to use the THA pin and the correct ground 4 or 5. I think it is 4 because its a 5v sensor and pin 4 is the ground used for the map sensor which is 5v.
It has to be the correct wires because its the only two pins I don't have taped off and was working normally before the install. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran better without it as a reference with the vpc already taking it into account.
Old 03-28-16, 10:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

could be a vpc thing, never ran one but it does sound like alot of vpc users used the resistor, maybe there is something to it.
Old 04-02-16, 02:09 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ali,

What are your thoughts on Map ecu3 if any, compared to this mod? I wonder if it can engage TC lockup out the box. Thanks.
Old 04-02-16, 02:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you mean running map ecu 3 on the stock n/a ecu? The n/a ecu is terrible on these cars with a turbo, even with a piggyback so my thoughts are that anything that can make the stock ecu run well with a turbo will take tons of work and overriding everything the n/a ecu does (we are talking bypassing the injectors and wiring things in intercept mode and tricking the stock ecu), and generally they still run terrible or misfire here and there. I am sure you will hear from one or 2 "experts" that they have done it and made 800hp yada yada yada I have heard it all. if its even remotely true then it took a ton of setup time and tuning $$$ and I bet there are still "compromises" all over.

I wouldn't do it just to keep the stock auto transmission working happy, cause honestly at 400hp you will destroy the stock auto trans it will just be a matter of time and if you have grippy tires then itll be toast. maybe you can last a while longer with a trans cooler but its not worth running the n/a ecu just to have torque converter lockup.

Just use the JDM gte ecu with 440cc injectors if you are only going for 400hp, if more then use 550cc and a piggyback. install a trans cooler and monitor the temps, even without the lockup if you are not doing tons of highway driving its usually ok with a trans cooler and have a temp gauge to keep an eye on, or install a gte auto trans or manual swap. I 100% recommend manual swapping but its not for everyone. If I have to pull and install a trans, you can bet an automatic is not going back in, but if I had to put any back in, it would be an aristo or supra gte auto trans because they will hold 400 just fine in stock form.
Old 04-02-16, 03:16 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

I appreciate the valuable input and repetitive answers you must have given hundreds of times to others, Ali. Expect more from me in the form of zero knowledge. I have a daily Sc, so this new one will be meticulously cared for. Well, there's nothing left to say other than thank you and your statement is the official launch to my project.
Old 04-04-16, 10:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Nsjuice, no worries its part of the process, just post up any questions here the guys running the mod should see it and also chime in.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-04-16 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-06-16, 01:40 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen numerous posts in this thread about using the 440cc injectors with the jdm ecu as being the most straight forward upgrade path. Now after purchasing the 440cc injectors from a member here with a 1jz, I've been told that they will not work with my setup. Now I did purchase a lower intake from a 93 obd1 as my 96 obd2 lower rail would never work. The injectors also came with the 1jz rail. Is there anything else I can do in order to get these injectors to work, or should I just put them back up for sale and hunt for different 440's?

If the 1jz 440's don't work with an na-t setup, I would suggest adding that info to the first post as I'm sure I won't be the only one to make the mistake.
Old 04-06-16, 03:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

The first post says exactly what kind of injectors to use, top feed 440cc with the import size o-rings (11mm) and they should be high impedance. you made the classic "gte parts bolt on... right?" mistake.

non vvti 1jz injectors are Side feed like a 2jzgte non vvti, so they do not work, also they are usually low impedance so you would also need to add a tt resistor box (more wiring headaches). Its pretty common knowledge that you cannot use GTE injectors on GE motors but I will add something to the injector section.

now I want to say vvti 1jz injectors may be top feed, but not sure of their size and impedance.

the rail spacing is different on GTE and GE so no, it wont work even with the gte fuel rail.
you should sell them and find some ones as described above. Oside tiger on ebay sold me quality rebuilt OEM injectors that seem to perform pretty well, but other vendors are a bit sketchy and not always oem like there is a similar company on there but sells cheap chineese knockoffs so be careful. search for "2jzge injectors" and look for that specific vendor. it will say drop in or not or if it needs different clips etc..

or you can find them in the classifieds here or supraforums, but make sure they are for the n/a 2jzge.
Old 04-11-16, 05:01 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

There's so many pages I've read through and can't remember or tally it all up. But what is the latest consensus (issues) on 97 (Obd2 non-vvti) motors versus 92-95, to consider when doing this Ali Mod? Looking for cars and the ones I keep favoring as far as condition vs $ are 97 models.

*edit : I don't really care to retain emissions/Obd2 portability although I live in Ca.

Last edited by nsjuice; 04-11-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 05:38 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nsjuice
There's so many pages I've read through and can't remember or tally it all up. But what is the latest consensus (issues) on 97 (Obd2 non-vvti) motors versus 92-95, to consider when doing this Ali Mod? Looking for cars and the ones I keep favoring as far as condition vs $ are 97 models.
I wouldn't say there are any issues per say at this time , but it takes a bit more work on 96-97 to have it working properly as compared with the jdm ecu.

97 models at a minimum require the maf to be deleted with some type of aftermarket controller. Additionally you need to swap lower runners to utilize the obd1 style runner and after market injectors.

I'll be following up this weekend of the usdm obd2 because the car cover is coming off and i'll be able to enjoy driving again.
Old 04-11-16, 05:53 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

Do you have a build thread? I searched and saw a few posts on issues you were having. And am curious to see what your setup is and how you've tackled everything thus fa r.

Originally Posted by 187
I wouldn't say there are any issues per say at this time , but it takes a bit more work on 96-97 to have it working properly as compared with the jdm ecu.

97 models at a minimum require the maf to be deleted with some type of aftermarket controller. Additionally you need to swap lower runners to utilize the obd1 style runner and after market injectors.

I'll be following up this weekend of the usdm obd2 because the car cover is coming off and i'll be able to enjoy driving again.
Old 04-11-16, 10:19 PM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 187

If I recall correctly if he's doing the jdm ECU that eliminates the MAF. Unless he's doing the usdm gte ECU, which yeesh God help you.
Old 04-12-16, 09:07 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

187 is on the USDM obd2 ecu I think. one of the few that had it running well.

yeah mainly the maf delete and change the lower runner to obd1, otherwise with injector issues it will never run right.

USDM ecu is also only if you need emissions. you can run the JDM ecu on the 96-97 cars, just obd2 wont work. if you need obd2 then go for the US ecu.

Funny story, I was planning on going aem ems v1 for some future upgrades (want to do larger turbo and quick spool valve later this year, maybe e85) so I put it in and I had so many small issues I ended up throwing the tt ecu back in and its driving great again lol. I decided I will hold off on the aem shenanigans till I actually upgrade and then can get it tuned again. figured its a waste of time to get it running now only to change it later.

point being as soon as I put the tt ecu back in the car was happy, lol. will run it for a while longer it seems at least till the audi is done so I can upgrade the SC.
Old 04-12-16, 01:36 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

Got it. Thanks, Ali.

Are you not satisfied with the powerband of the ECU Mod setup?

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
187 is on the USDM obd2 ecu I think. one of the few that had it running well.

yeah mainly the maf delete and change the lower runner to obd1, otherwise with injector issues it will never run right.

USDM ecu is also only if you need emissions. you can run the JDM ecu on the 96-97 cars, just obd2 wont work. if you need obd2 then go for the US ecu.

Funny story, I was planning on going aem ems v1 for some future upgrades (want to do larger turbo and quick spool valve later this year, maybe e85) so I put it in and I had so many small issues I ended up throwing the tt ecu back in and its driving great again lol. I decided I will hold off on the aem shenanigans till I actually upgrade and then can get it tuned again. figured its a waste of time to get it running now only to change it later.

point being as soon as I put the tt ecu back in the car was happy, lol. will run it for a while longer it seems at least till the audi is done so I can upgrade the SC.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod