SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 07:14 AM
asianic68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does the vvti coils sit int he head.. it seems like it doesnt push into the spark plugs like the boot is short. is there something im missing or do i need to change something for it to fit correctly.. and also how do it bolt down since the non vvti head has now screws holes
Old 11-27-15, 11:15 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joe diego
I really appreciate your detailed explanation. I should of been a little more detailed in my question.
The knowledge and energy Ali puts out to keep us running is one of the best things available on the vast interwebs for me.....
Old 11-27-15, 06:29 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I posted about a problem a while ago. My car would start and idle fine. Once driven and warm, if i shut it off and start it again. It ALWAYS would surge at idle with the AFR's pegged on lean. i'd drive it and it would correct itself. At a light later on, idle usually would be fine. The first cold start was always fine. The ECU was rebuilt proactively by Tanin before installation. I swapped it out with a Supra, 6 speed ECU and that PITA problem disappeared. I know they replaced the caps but i guess something else is wrong with it. If your car is surging at idle and AFR's are off when warm, this may be your issue.

EDIT: Forget all of that. The surging is still there. I will check other things.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-01-15 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 11:25 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asianic68
how does the vvti coils sit int he head.. it seems like it doesnt push into the spark plugs like the boot is short. is there something im missing or do i need to change something for it to fit correctly.. and also how do it bolt down since the non vvti head has now screws holes
Mine just kind of hang out in there, haven't had any issues. I know a few people made some custom brackets if you have the time.

Also I tried out a older obd1 IACV and it didn't really make any big difference other than the hot start idle speed. You need a spacer to run the obd1 IACV on the obd2 manifold if anyone was wondering. The saga continues after winter, but I'm happy with the car for now. Still can't recommend it currently for any of the lurkers.
Old 12-01-15, 02:20 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

I did aome reading and it turns out the safc only works with cars running a MAF? I am too rich at WOT and need to pull a little fuel out. Regular driving is fine and I dont need adjustment there, so I fell like running a map ecu is over kill. Am I supposed to wire it up so that only the injector signals and rpm are connected to the safc?
Old 12-01-15, 04:16 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BuffNStuff
I did aome reading and it turns out the safc only works with cars running a MAF? I am too rich at WOT and need to pull a little fuel out. Regular driving is fine and I dont need adjustment there, so I fell like running a map ecu is over kill. Am I supposed to wire it up so that only the injector signals and rpm are connected to the safc?
Maybe the SAFC but the SAFC NEO is what I run and i am all MAP now. MAF is long gone.
Old 12-01-15, 04:50 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

What are the largest injectors I can easily run with the TT ECU Mod and a MapECU3. I found a great deal on a standalone but I think I might just max out the TT ECU instead. What kind of power will the ECU/piggyback top out at? My turbo is good for way more than I want. Will the ECU support 600-700hp with the MapECU3?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-01-15 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-02-15, 07:29 AM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Default 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Maybe the SAFC but the SAFC NEO is what I run and i am all MAP now. MAF is long gone.
Are you running a VPC with it?

Because everything im reading on the internet says that the safc neo cannot convert MAP and IAT signals into a MAF signal which is what it uses.
Old 12-02-15, 07:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BuffNStuff
Are you running a VPC with it?

Because everything im reading on the internet says that the safc neo cannot convert MAP and IAT signals into a MAF signal which is what it uses.
No VPC or the like. I think the TT ECU MOD turned me to MAP. I'm surely no longer MAF. It's in my trunk. Your OBD2 path is different though...

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-02-15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-02-15, 07:38 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Apexi SAFC and NEO both work fine with the JDM GTE ecu and just the map sensor. It's wired in line on the map sensor voltage and when making fuel adjustments you are really just reducing or increasing the map sensor voltage at that RPM or parameter.

The saying is never to exceed double injector size then what the ECU is looking for. So the stock JDM GTE ecu is looking for 440's, in theory 880cc would be the limit. The USDM GTE ecu is set for 550's, so 1100cc injectors are in theory within the range.

I would say 650-750cc injectors are plenty for pump gas / race gas power. The key is to keep it tunable and not all over the place hunting to maintain a driveable reliable car.
Old 12-02-15, 08:59 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HiPSI
The Apexi SAFC and NEO both work fine with the JDM GTE ecu and just the map sensor. It's wired in line on the map sensor voltage and when making fuel adjustments you are really just reducing or increasing the map sensor voltage at that RPM or parameter.

The saying is never to exceed double injector size then what the ECU is looking for. So the stock JDM GTE ecu is looking for 440's, in theory 880cc would be the limit. The USDM GTE ecu is set for 550's, so 1100cc injectors are in theory within the range.

I would say 650-750cc injectors are plenty for pump gas / race gas power. The key is to keep it tunable and not all over the place hunting to maintain a driveable reliable car.
I'm running a Supra TT JDM ECU now. I have 550's and it may be worth it if I can go at least to 750's. I have brand new Deatchworks and hate taking another hit but may have to. Do you know what my ECU is looking for? I am going to hold off on a standalone, install the Mapecu3, get injectors and a good tune.

You have been a huge help HIPSI, thank you!
Old 12-02-15, 09:13 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I'm running a Supra TT JDM ECU now. I have 550's and it may be worth it if I can go at least to 750's. I have brand new Deatchworks and hate taking another hit but may have to. Do you know what my ECU is looking for? I am going to hold off on a standalone, install the Mapecu3, get injectors and a good tune.

You have been a huge help HIPSI, thank you!
All JDM GTE ECU's are set for 440cc injectors. Your welcome man, I chime in when I can!
Old 12-02-15, 10:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah the safc works on both maf and map cars it just scales the voltage, so it works on usdm ecus or jdm ecu's doesn't matter.
what it cannot do it convert from a map sensor for a maf based ecu, thats what the vpc was made to do run a map on a maf ecu.
no one converts a maf signal to a map based ecu cause well you would just use a map sensor already on a map ecu so there is no device for that conversion.

I think 660's it the normal max for the jdm ecu, people run larger but you will probably take a little driveability hit. if you are thinking 1000cc on pump gas then its standalone time.
Old 12-02-15, 10:50 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I'm going to stay with my 550's, install the MAP3 and get a great tune. Fantasy trip over. Back to logical reality.

OK........ MAYBE 660's.......
Old 12-02-15, 08:38 PM
tanakamike
Driver School Candidate

I am wondering how many locals in my area of San Diego Cali have done this conversion,I would like to check one out hear it purr.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod