SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 08:57 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Did you mention that your settings have been adjusted on the safc? What are your idle settings now % fuel pulled? Reset the ecu by pulling the neg battery cable, take it for a drive and after a day or so see if it's still doing it. Normally a battery reset causes the tune to be weird for a little bit till it relearns. I would double check your connections in the foot well, make sure the wiring is sound.
I think he adjusted the EBC mostly. Minor tweaks to the SAFC. The car ran better than ever and I have been hitting it hard starting with the 3.5 hr drive home. It was pretty much perfect until the fuse blew. The wiring looked great. All soldered but he forgot to tape a few. I taped them and replaced the fuse. Somehow it is unhappy. Maybe Ill pull the EFI fuse for a longer time today. It usually would clear it up on the occasions where it would idle rich.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-15, 09:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

oh and in relation to the wires and fuse, if its not the safc and something loose, check the o2 sensor wires. if they short out the ecu acts very funny.
Old 10-15-15, 09:35 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
these ecu's do want to idle at like 650 rpm and they wont go that low until its fully warmed up.

I would suggest simplifying.

If you are having the idle lower than 650, you can try bumping up the idle but you will need to turn the tps back some and there is only a small amount of adjustment. most people end up raising the idle screw at least a hair to let a little more air in to stabilize things. but still it has to be in tps range, you can check by trying to do the timing check procedure, if it changes in noise when you put the jumper in, tps is still in correct spot. on the first page.
Leave the idle set screw alone! Or maybe a hair adjustment, like you said.

So I was having this weird issue with cold starts, car wouldn't want to rev, it would sputter and hesitate if I blipped the throttle. Once warm it would clear up, but still would slightly be there.

I tried to raise idle from 650 to 800-900ish via manual adjustment to the idle set screw on the throttle body which messed up the TPS setting. I tried to fool the stock ECU into getting a higher RPM but it wasn't having it.

Returned the idle set screw back to stock, reset the ecu, car now purrs smooth at 650rpm without any hesitation. I'm gonna stop fighting it and just let it do it's thing, car runs fine that low of RPM which is crazy because my old DSM would struggle to idle at anything below 750.

I say this now but watch me jinx it and it do it tomorrow lol. I purchased new ignition components thinking maybe a spark plug fouled or possibly a coil pack? Saved me from tearing the intake manifold down.
Old 10-16-15, 12:46 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Drove the car today and It was perfect without doing anything to it. I think after fuse blowing and reset of ECU, it had not fully reset itself.

Not one issue with it one day later.

Thank you guys, ill check again today!
Old 10-16-15, 02:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah moving the idle screw is not for the faint of heart.. lol, it can create problems also if you dont know how to check the tps. they should make a tps with wider slots, that would solve our issues on that front with the stock throttle body, my mcguiver side says just get a spare tps and slot out the sides and use washers to grab it down, but then again its pretty mcghuivered.

SG, glad its working, keep an eye on it, if it starts acting up again after 4-5 drives then its likely the safc.
Old 10-20-15, 08:06 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have any suggestions on removing the hard vacuum lines behind the plenum to remove it. I took all the bolts out, but the little black bracket hangs on the rear stuff.
Old 10-20-15, 08:55 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just remove the TB and Y pipe. It doesn't take that long. That way you can access those hidden bolts.
Old 10-20-15, 12:38 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I think there are a few bolts underneath the Y pipe that you need to take it off to get to, but I could be picturing it wrong.
Old 10-20-15, 03:34 PM
Lead Lap

I already have the full top section off except the Plenum part which mates to the runner. I took every bolt out but that little black bracket keeps all those hard lines on there. They are all very rigid so I'm just going to hack at it most likley.. because its a waste of time at this point.
Old 10-21-15, 11:06 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

There may be a bolt by where the egr temp probe connector is. I have my full intake with all the hardlines attached sitting on a shelf I can take a picture of the back of it if you like.
Old 10-22-15, 06:57 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thanks again for all of the help in this thread! This mod is Awesome!

The car is an absolute blast to drive. I am starting to really trust and understand the car. Most times when the AFR's look different at idle, it straightens right out when I drive it. I am starting to not worry about them so much at idle.
The only thing I notice now is after running the car for a couple hours, the idle gets slightly rough and rich (or lean occasionally). I sometimes shut it off, and back on at a light and it fixes itself. Just driving it, it generally works itself out. If I park it for a few minutes and start it back up warm, the idle may still be a bit "off". When it is "off", the rhythm of the car is also a bit off and usually rich but sometimes lean. During these times, I also hear a mild "diesel" sound to the motor occasionally as idle drops and fluctuates. There is a mild "surging" of idle a few hundred RPM's, every second or so in a constant pulse.
This is very minor/mild but I am trying to understand and respond to all clues given to me by the car. I also noticed much of this after my friend's feet shorted out the ECU wiring and blew the EFI fuse. I am going to send my spare Aristo ECU to Driftmotion to rebuild it. I'll swap that in to see if anything is different. I get the feeling although the caps were replaced, my current ECU may be slightly bad. It will be informative to be able to swap them out when troubleshooting. I may even look for a 6 speed JDM version as a third.

It runs perfectly at all times except when the idle gets a bit strange after a few hours running it in NYC traffic. Temps are rock solid at all times. On boost AFR's are always consistent.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 10-22-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 03:02 PM
Lead Lap

Ended up getting it out, thanks ali. Just waiting for gaskets and its going in/together tomorrow.
Old 10-23-15, 09:01 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I finally figured out why my car was running mad rich and shutting off once it got to normal running temperature.
It was the crappy eBay injectors! I swapped them out for a set of Osidetiger 440cc and now it idles fine. Before this.. I sent out the ecu, tripled checked wiring, plugs, dis., map sensor, igniter.... This is huge for me.

Now I'm trying to set the timing but there is no audible change when I put in the jumper. Guess I should take a break and grab a beer.
Old 10-23-15, 09:06 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great news! TPS isn't set correctly if you aren't hearing the idle change when the jump is inserted.

So I was reading about swapping to an OBDII ecu and you have to wire in a ground for the heated O2 circuit. The reason they went to a heated O2 sensor was due to the fact that the non heated OBD1 sensors would sometimes loose their heat or cool off during times of long idling. This causes the tune to go off and richens the mixture. Once you drive off the exhaust heats the sensor and fixes the issue.

So I was thinking could adding a heated O2 sensor and add a ground make the tune more consistent? Is this a fairly simple upgrade, purchase O2 sensor, rewire it in, add ground?

Last edited by HiPSI; 10-23-15 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 10:11 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Great news! TPS isn't set correctly if you aren't hearing the idle change when the jump is inserted.

So I was reading about swapping to an OBDII ecu and you have to wire in a ground for the heated O2 circuit. The reason they went to a heated O2 sensor was due to the fact that the non heated OBD1 sensors would sometimes loose their heat or cool off during times of long idling. This causes the tune to go off and richens the mixture. Once you drive off the exhaust heats the sensor and fixes the issue.

So I was thinking could adding a heated O2 sensor and add a ground make the tune more consistent? Is this a fairly simple upgrade, purchase O2 sensor, rewire it in, add ground?
Hmmmmm, I'm obsessed with getting everything perfect so I am happy to try this heated O2. Is there a BEST one to get?

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod