SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 09:31 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

with the o2 it will just be correcting all the time so it will be ok as long as you dont make big throttle changes.
I think the b chip might be what you need to cure the issue. the maf tunes are sensitive, the fact that they have a A B and C chip tells me that you cant get away with a single turbo on a twin turbo tune with the usdm ecu.

on the JDM ecu it is able to correct, not that it is perfect or anything but it doesn't seem to get confused.
Old 05-02-16, 06:42 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to acquire a b chip still through SF, kind of hard to find in 2016. I think it's worth playing with the ecu iat to create a favorable open loop.
Old 05-03-16, 11:34 AM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any difference between the mkiv vvti and non-vvti map sensors when it comes to this upgrade? Just want to make sure I get the right one. I will be using a USDM obd1 6sp ecu if that matters.
Old 05-03-16, 04:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah finding a b chip might be tricky. probably a wtb is the best way to go or search through vpc sale threads.
I think you also need bigger injectors with that B chip, like 680cc.
its so many variables to do all that work though I dunno how well it works or if you will like it, but the B chip sounds like it should be a whole lot closer in general.
I guess none of us really had a whole lot of usdm 2jzgte experience to know you might need a different chip.

I think you will need that and hope that works or just switch to something programmable seems to be the way to go for the usdm ecu. the map ecu would be better maybe keep an eye on ebay the mitsubishi and honda guys sell them from time to time and there is only one kind with a universal harness so it works on all the cars.

I can see on the map ecu that when I load a JDM map, for any pressure the output is the same for all the rpm cells, which makes tuning it rather easy which is why some can get away with just a safc.
For the USDM map the rpm values horizontally are different also, so that tells me that the whole map needs to be on so its not something you can do well with like an safc or anything.
so having the wrong chip is like running it with the wrong map, and even small changes can make a big difference. It seems trying the B chip might be worth a shot.

I am not positive about the vvti map sensors but I think they are the same as the non vvti. you can even use a 1jz non vvti one but they are usually pretty old by now so I say stick to the newer map sensors of a 2jz.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-03-16 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 04:37 PM
Lead Lap

Honestly I think I can get away with my current injectors, the ecu is pulling 10% long term and I have an additional ± 10% at the vpc. I really don't want to get into another ecu unless its standalone. I'm going to post up a wtb now, I was pm'ing a couple before but no luck.

On that though, can you maintain obd2 with standalone or does that go out the window?
Old 05-03-16, 04:45 PM
tptpete
Driver

Alright. Got about 70 miles on the car after correcting the bad maf connection and I have one oddity left.

Car seems like waste gate opens at 5 to 7psi and I believe the spring is 7psi. It have an electronic boost solenoid off my bosst/afr gauge with a controller built it. It's set the same as before my issue (16-17psi). When the wg opens, the afr is 9.8 and it feels like the clutch is slipping although I think it's the motor bogging out. Any thoughts? The fix I put in for the map sensor was a whole new wire map to ecu. Could the boost controller be interrupted by no longer having a connection to the map? It has its own sensor and vacuum line...
Old 05-03-16, 04:46 PM
tptpete
Driver

Obd2 and standalone don't really work together. You'd have to make it a piggyback so that the obd2 continues to work.

Last edited by tptpete; 05-03-16 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 05:02 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Pete,

Sounds like maybe there was a bad connection between the Apexi SAFC NEO and the map sensor wire. The SAFC intercepts the Map sensor voltage to adjust for the larger injectors. The new wire that you added now doesn't have the Apexi SAFC in line on it and is now not adjusting at all so it's way rich.

Here is Apexi's wiring diagram:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/manuals/ele...eo_diagram.pdf

Does the Innovate SCG-1 say " Boost controller off"? If so you may just have to toggle it back on, hold both the middle to buttons until it starts blinking and you can toggle through the settings to make sure its on.

The Boost controller starts oscillating wastegate duty cycle after the spring pressure is achieved which is why you hear it start opening at 8psi. The spring that is in the gate achieves 8psi which is why it slowly opens right around there.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...1%20Manual.pdf

Last edited by HiPSI; 05-03-16 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 06:24 PM
tptpete
Driver

Thanks HiPsi. I was going to look through that booklet next and thought I'd check back here. I'll sort that out then. I knew it started cracking then, this just sounded different. I believe it's still on, but I'll double check. I'll look at the diagram..
Old 05-03-16, 07:05 PM
tptpete
Driver

Andrew- so when I thought I had a map sensor issue, there is a chance that this is still part of it. The map sensor goes to the safc, then out the safc to the ecu. Thus the continuity wouldn't ever exist on the map sensor wire from the sensor to the ecu.. is the SAFC connected in the passenger footwell?
Old 05-03-16, 08:36 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes just pull back the passenger carpet. The Apexi safc is basically in between the map sensor and what the ECU sees.
Old 05-04-16, 09:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 187
Honestly I think I can get away with my current injectors, the ecu is pulling 10% long term and I have an additional ± 10% at the vpc. I really don't want to get into another ecu unless its standalone. I'm going to post up a wtb now, I was pm'ing a couple before but no luck.

On that though, can you maintain obd2 with standalone or does that go out the window?
I doubt you can get away with your current injectors, the map in the chip is adjusted for larger ones but hey im no usdm expert you can give it a try.

standalone does not support obd2 unless you wire it to keep the stock ecu also, which is well complicated.

Originally Posted by tptpete
Andrew- so when I thought I had a map sensor issue, there is a chance that this is still part of it. The map sensor goes to the safc, then out the safc to the ecu. Thus the continuity wouldn't ever exist on the map sensor wire from the sensor to the ecu.. is the SAFC connected in the passenger footwell?
yeah didn't realize you had a safc, then there wouldn't be continuity at the ecu you would have to check at the safc to map and safc to ecu. its possible then it was just the safc setting that needed adjusting and the wiring was ok then. if its running that rich put the safc back in the loop, put the right settings in for your ecu, and try and take out like 5% fuel or so until you get to a reasonable boost afr.
Old 05-04-16, 12:05 PM
tptpete
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah didn't realize you had a safc, then there wouldn't be continuity at the ecu you would have to check at the safc to map and safc to ecu. its possible then it was just the safc setting that needed adjusting and the wiring was ok then. if its running that rich put the safc back in the loop, put the right settings in for your ecu, and try and take out like 5% fuel or so until you get to a reasonable boost afr.
Right. I am going to check for the 2 continuities to see if wiring was good.. I bet one of them was bad though since that leads back to my original problem of it bogging down, rough idle after a hot start, which never came back after redoing this wire (skipping the safc at the moment). I'll get the safc in line again and see what it does. I'll double check the setting as well, but it looked okay when i look at the beginning of all this. I need to investigate a little..
Old 05-04-16, 12:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah, it has to be one of those 2 if bypassing the safc worked out. at least you know you have a good map sensor, thats a plus!!
Old 05-04-16, 02:47 PM
tptpete
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah, it has to be one of those 2 if bypassing the safc worked out. at least you know you have a good map sensor, thats a plus!!
Okay. Got a good wire from the map to safc white wire per the pressure sensor diagram. Have the yellow wire to the correct ecu pin. Start the car, rough idle and CEL.

Maybe it thinks it's a Karman sensor but it is a map?

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod