SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 10:09 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For an NA-T, would it be more beneficial to run a TT ecu, or a standalone aka EMS V2. EMS V2 is PnP and I can also use a MAP sensor and coil packs without having to splice the harness (so they say). My goal is 550 horsepower using a TT headgasket and some head work ect.
Old 08-05-12, 11:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Not sure what you mean by beneficial, both will work fine but the JDM ecu is only good for 400hp on the 440cc injectors.
you would need larger injectors and a fuel controller to get to 550hp. you could use a usdm ecu but you have to use a maf or install a vpc.
The aem works well for higher power applications, but takes alot of time and tuning to get it to run as well as the stock ecu for regular driving.

I will point out that that the instructions for installing the map sensor and IAT for the tt ecu mod on the first page, is actually a diagram I found for installing the an aem map sensor and IAT on an aem ems.

The wiring is the exact same for the map and IAT and is also the same for installing coilpacks, but at the ecu plug you have to jump those 3 extra ignition wires i pointed out, and the 2 cam wires, thats it. even with the aem you have to move the pin from b66 to b62.

Just cause you buy a expensive standalone doesn't mean you don't have to wire up the new sensors lol.
Also just in general don't listen to anything that originates from "aem"

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-05-12 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 09:32 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question: Sense we are now using a TT ecu. When wiring a Apexi Neo or some sort of afc, what wire diagram should be used or is it still the same wiring as the ge ecu?
Found this link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ion-sc300.html
And this one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...p-obd-1-a.html

Can either of these instruction be used to wire the afc in withe the TT ECU?
Old 08-06-12, 10:04 AM
SixSense
Driver

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
Question: Sense we are now using a TT ecu. When wiring a Apexi Neo or some sort of afc, what wire diagram should be used or is it still the same wiring as the ge ecu?
Found this link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ion-sc300.html
And this one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...p-obd-1-a.html

Can either of these instruction be used to wire the afc in withe the TT ECU?
I wouldnt recommend using a SAFC with this ecu it will throw a map code well at least it did in my case and will make the car run like crap just my 2 cent but maybe your car will be different who knows
Old 08-06-12, 10:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

it is definately not the same as the US GE wiring, which uses a maf sensor.
you will be using the map wire instead of the maf wires, and the in /out settings will be different for a map based car on that unit.

I would personally look into the FI-C. It can even drive the injectors in boost so you can have all the goodies without having to mess with the map sensor signal. it takes quite a bit more wiring though.
Old 08-06-12, 11:03 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Thats the only thing that I can see that is differant. Instead of connecting the karman signal MAF signal pin b66, you plug into the map wire that was moved to pin 62b, correct? All the others should be the same. RMP, ground, tps, IG power.

I got the neo for a good price with my ECU so I might as well give it a shot and take my chances. Worst thing ill have to do is take it out lol

Last edited by 8052JZ; 08-06-12 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 11:07 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah can't hurt to give it a shot so let us know. i know the settings on the unit you will need to follow the jdm ones.
Old 08-06-12, 02:49 PM
SixSense
Driver

Haha you sound just like me bro got mine for 100 and I was thinking man what a deal and then I drove my car end of story!
Old 08-06-12, 04:26 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SixSense
Haha you sound just like me bro got mine for 100 and I was thinking man what a deal and then I drove my car end of story!
What issues did you have that you didn’t like with it on? I’ve read several threads where folks loved them but had to dial them in to get everything up to par.
Old 08-06-12, 08:07 PM
SixSense
Driver

Well im still running it right now actually my main problem is the breaking up as soon as boost starts to hit i mean it drives ok i guess but its many things its never consistent everytime i start my car my thought is hmmm i wonder how much gas ill burn today maybe in the morn it runs to lean then after i make a stop and start the car again its running at just the right AFR i want and then i make another stop and start the car now its rich as hell it gets irritating after u loose the excitement of "hey i have a turbo on my car"... Put it like this my car runs like the ish until i hit 3800 rpm then it goes from the ish to some ish
Old 08-06-12, 08:44 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Well I plan on running a FFIM, so I would need to put a MAP sensor there, and I only wanna make around 500..I'm just wary because I can't really TUNE the car like I could with a standalone..but I guess if I wanted to, I could use the JDM ECU and an injector larger than 440cc and a fuel controller to make close to 500. Stupid question..what is a vpc? Does it HAVE to be a JDM TT Supra? or Could it be a JDM TT Aristo?
Old 08-06-12, 11:45 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well im still running it right now actually my main problem is the breaking up as soon as boost starts to hit i mean it drives ok i guess but its many things its never consistent everytime i start my car my thought is hmmm i wonder how much gas ill burn today maybe in the morn it runs to lean then after i make a stop and start the car again its running at just the right AFR i want and then i make another stop and start the car now its rich as hell it gets irritating after u loose the excitement of "hey i have a turbo on my car"... Put it like this my car runs like the ish until i hit 3800 rpm then it goes from the ish to some ish
Ha i hear ya, what codes do you still have?? thats similar to what im dealing with. You still havent converted to vvti coils?
Old 08-07-12, 11:33 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah that is exactly how i felt when i first started, I was so excited but then after driving my car for like 2 weeks I just wanted to take a sledgehammer to the ecu. tried both safc and map ecu, never again will I ever waste a second on the ge ecu, or all my spare time tuning an aem ems to run even close to stock quality.

Originally Posted by durtysc300
Well I plan on running a FFIM, so I would need to put a MAP sensor there, and I only wanna make around 500..I'm just wary because I can't really TUNE the car like I could with a standalone..but I guess if I wanted to, I could use the JDM ECU and an injector larger than 440cc and a fuel controller to make close to 500. Stupid question..what is a vpc? Does it HAVE to be a JDM TT Supra? or Could it be a JDM TT Aristo?
You don't need to worry about tuning everything the nice people at toyota already tuned the turbo ecu for boost. you have to worry about it mainly on the GE ecu and aftermarket piggybacks or standalones which require the most tuning.

you can use the JDM ecu with some 550's and pull a little fuel, thats as far as I would personally try and push the injector size as it comes setup for 440's originally.

The usdm is setup for 550's but uses a Maf sensor instead of a Map sensor for fueling, and has an additional map sensor not used for fueling but used to determine boost cut.
The HKS VPC (vein pressure controller), is a piggyback which has a map sensor that you connect to your engine, and the VPC sends the ecu the approptiate maf signal, so basically its a device that lets you run a map sensor on a maf ecu.
So its more expensive to get a usdm ecu and VPC, and requires more wiring, but you get to use th 550cc injectors as your starting point instead of 440's and the map setup.
This is very very common supra knowledge

you can use any jdm 2jzgte ecu, supra or aristo.
If you have an auto car, you have to use an auto ecu, so an auto supra ecu or an aristo ecu (all aristo ecu's are auto).
If you have a manual transmission, you can use auto ecu or a manual ecu.
The Supra 6 speed ecu has a higher rev limit than the others by a little bit, and is thus more desirable if you have a manual trans.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-07-12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-07-12, 02:36 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys UPDATE.

Got my new ECU in and no freaking difference #@%##$%#$%#$%#%#

Now my next option is to wire pin 62 directly to the map and see if it gets a clean signal with a fresh wire.... after that idea its a can of gas and a flare cause i have no clue what else it could be

cliff notes.

car wont boost past 4k
swapped ecu
swapped map
still wont go past 4k

Oh yeah and now i have a spare aristo ecu and MAP for sale...... Pm me if anyone wants em
Old 08-07-12, 07:55 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

are you using the base of the distributor still? best bet is probably running new wires, can't go wrong with that.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod