//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is looking amazing . Nice work
Old 07-16-12, 06:24 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dnt know how i came across this but bump as a affordable alternative to buying a lip...

i searched forgiato lol
Old 07-16-12, 08:18 PM
KcKouki
Driver School Candidate

Ohmehgod... really?
Old 07-16-12, 08:26 PM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

^^ lol... i totally remember this thread... and damnit i want the finished shots!
Old 07-17-12, 06:20 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ there is none as of yet... reason i bumped it was cuz it was a coincidence i ran into it. i actually met this guy like 3-4 moths ago. he hadnt finished it but he showed it to me and it looked the same as it does in these last pictures. just had minor scrapes on the bottom from rubbin on sh !t. this guy walked up to it and punched it hard as hell like a 100 times tht thing is bullet proof. i know it might look a little ghetto but it is a solid lip tht hasnt cracked even a little bit.

bestpart is tht it was cheap and in person looked 100 times better then in pics. i think with paint it would have looked like a regular molded on lip. nice effort and good idea IMO. next time i see him ill take pics cuz i dnt think he comes on here anymore.
Old 07-17-12, 06:38 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

cmh. I definitely wouldn't say this is an "affordable" alternative to buying a pre-made lip.

When you account for how much you need to spend in materials to make it, and then make the frp copy of the lip, it will probably cost you more than just buying one. Not to mention the time it takes to make the lip. Sure, there is the unique factor, but it's not cheap unless you already have most of this stuff laying around and are familiar with how to use it.
Old 07-17-12, 07:43 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ well i dnt know jack about body work lol. but he had told me it cost him 100 bucks to make it. although he did work at a body shop so maybe ur right. u might be able to buy a used lip for tht much. like mentioned above tht thing was pretty much indestructible.. but yea i get where u coming from its not like a home depot lip u can get for like 20 bucks.
Old 07-17-12, 08:03 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cmh
^^^ well i dnt know jack about body work lol. but he had told me it cost him 100 bucks to make it. although he did work at a body shop so maybe ur right. u might be able to buy a used lip for tht much. like mentioned above tht thing was pretty much indestructible.. but yea i get where u coming from its not like a home depot lip u can get for like 20 bucks.
A really good alternative to what was done in this thread is using automotive grade industrial styling clay. The concept is the same. You build a foam base that's about an inch or so smaller than the actual lip would be. Then you top the foam with the clay and shape it however you want. What's good about the clay is that it can be warmed up with a heat-gun and changed in many ways. And you can salvage some of it once you are done making the fiberglass copy. Stuff is not cheap, but very nice to work with. and won't ruin your existing bumper since it can be easily removed.
Old 07-17-12, 08:13 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

This is what I am talking about:

I had these pics stored on my computer for years.

And some of Chip Foose clay work:

Either way you go about it, it's going to require a tremendous amount of work and a certain kind of skill.
Old 07-17-12, 08:27 PM
ch1ck3n
Rookie

This is awesome, I just learnt something new just by checking out this post. Thanks buddy.
Old 07-17-12, 08:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

The idea with the clay is that you make a tape drawing of your design, as you can see on Foose's car (third pic from the bottom), and you use that to make templates which you then drag across the clay to make the general shape. Using templates ensures symmetry and consistency. Plus, it gives you the power to make some really nice shapes relatively easy, something you just would have a nightmare of a time trying to do with bondo or other mediums that harden and have to be sanded/shaved down. The clay you want, is the Chavant Y2-Klay. It's about ten or so bucks per bar, so it's best to get a box of it to save some money. It's neat though, if you don't like what you've shaped, warm it up with a heat-gun just so it's relatively warm (not too hot to the touch) and you can reshape it very easily without wasting any material or scrapping and having to start over. And it hardens fairly quickly for when you need to do any finer detail work on it.

http://www.chavant.com/new_site/file...ducts-2006.pdf

That stuff is the bomb. A little goes a long way if you make your base close to the size of the object you're making.
Old 07-18-12, 05:11 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

tht is so bad ***. isnt tht how cars are designed? like when a new model is coming out. i think i saw them doing this to make the new dodge dart during the commercial.
Old 07-18-12, 08:06 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cmh
tht is so bad ***. isnt tht how cars are designed? like when a new model is coming out. i think i saw them doing this to make the new dodge dart during the commercial.
Yes Sir. Nowadays, most larger firms use a CNC machine that gets the basic shape down, but actual clay modelers still have to get the shape looking perfect. CNC machines leave lines behind if you've ever seen it. The little bit I know about this stuff comes from a real cool gentleman, Steve Austin (no not the WWE wrestler lol) out in Texas who has his own clay modelling studio doing contract work for both huge firms and smaller ones . I wanted to go to car design school after high school so I frequented all sorts of places to learn the process. I used to post sketches on a design board. Steve gave me a HUGE box of this clay so I can start practicing with it. I gotta admit, I've only made one model (1/8 scale), but I do remember how fun it is to use it. You make a clay "oven" which can be something as simple as a Styrofoam cooler box with a light bulb screwed in. You warm up the clay a bit and off you go. You can do this at your home, since there is no dust or any other negative health effects from using clay like there is with typical bodyshop materials that leave dust everywhere and requite a mask most of the time.
Old 07-18-12, 08:16 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I was mostly interested in the clay work anyway back in high school. One of the best automotive design school in the country is CCS, in Detroit Michigan. They have a clay modelling program which I believe is three classes (last time I called them), each class about $1250... well worth it in my opinion. And you don't have to be an enrolled full time student to take part in the program or anything like that.
Old 07-18-12, 07:10 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

Doesn't look to hard. Just need a place with the right tools and air. I want to try this since everyone and there mom is getting a fujin lip lol

Quick Reply: custom taylored