SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY Push Button Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 04:31 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It would be very awesome to retrofit a 2007+ Avalon or camry xle push button start feature where you don't use a key, but then again it uses the smart key system/fob, so I don't think that's even possible at all
Old 12-20-10, 07:28 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
It would be very awesome to retrofit a 2007+ Avalon or camry xle push button start feature where you don't use a key, but then again it uses the smart key system/fob, so I don't think that's even possible at all
Next best thing folks! Genuine Lexus OEM start button to boot!

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK103B.html
Old 01-29-11, 06:22 PM
elbobby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used this write up as a guide line to ad an additional 12v power supply. I have it ran to constant power so it will also charge my phone with out the key being in.
Old 01-29-11, 06:25 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shern

that is sick, deff want to put that in my sc
Old 01-30-11, 09:08 AM
SQ400
Rookie

Ok i was reading this and read about the problem with the steering wheel lock and still having the have the key.

i have done this before. Since the sc is an older car I think it should/maybe the same, but not sure since I have not looked.

The lock is usually a latch that locks the steering in place. Put the key in and turn it to on the latch moves back so the steering wheel unlocks.

Now it doesn't take much to move the latch out the way. I used a heavy duty door lock actuator to do this.

Now it takes a couple of relays or a latching relay to do this. I will need to find the diagram but it is pretty simple. As we know actuators work on reverse polarity. So it is lock when signal is + on one wire and - on the other it is LOCKED, reverse it and it is UNLOCKED. This is the simple 2 wire actuators.

Now when your car is off it will be in the unlock position with the latch push to lock the steering wheel. Once you push the bottom the ignition would activate the relay to reverse the polarity to the actuator moving the latch back so the steering wheel will unlock.

Now this is with cars that have a key switch on the Steering column. Now since our cars have the key switch on the dash, there just may be an actuator already doing this job. If so all we need to do is tap into the already in use actuator and use a couple of relays to do the reverse polarity for it.

Hope that made sense. but it is quite simple to do either way.

That is a great system and for a great price considering all it does. And doing the above would complete the system, Total key-less start.

Last edited by SQ400; 01-30-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-30-11, 06:15 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Looking.

shern. Good Looking. I have been waiting for an affordable OEM Push button Start like the one in the link.
Old 01-30-11, 06:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

guys i think that this mod is cool for the most part but to me there are a few setbacks which would cause me not to get this in my car at all, and please forgive me as i am not trying t put anyone down at all.

To me it does not make sense to have this start up button and have a key as well.

The only way this would be a worthwhile mod is if you could remove the key system and replace it with the push button .

Im sorry but as it is now there is no way i would do this mod or recomend anyone else to do it either.

no offense intended
Old 01-30-11, 07:42 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dustin2JZ,
Good write up man. Thanks.
OP Yes there are other things you can do, yes you still need the key. But if your not going to buy the wireless entry posted above (which is cool as hell) its a still neat little project. Be carefull with wiring people. I almost lost my SC after doing my airbag wiring. Smelled smoke and was able to pull the power. Another mod? Fire extinguisher in trunk mod. Yes
Old 01-31-11, 03:10 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i was gonna post that shern.. damn it lol and thats a dumb way to wire up that push button should have used a relay or cut wires from back of the ignition..
Old 01-31-11, 06:32 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SQ400
Ok i was reading this and read about the problem with the steering wheel lock and still having the have the key.

i have done this before. Since the sc is an older car I think it should/maybe the same, but not sure since I have not looked.

The lock is usually a latch that locks the steering in place. Put the key in and turn it to on the latch moves back so the steering wheel unlocks.

Now it doesn't take much to move the latch out the way. I used a heavy duty door lock actuator to do this.

Now it takes a couple of relays or a latching relay to do this. I will need to find the diagram but it is pretty simple. As we know actuators work on reverse polarity. So it is lock when signal is + on one wire and - on the other it is LOCKED, reverse it and it is UNLOCKED. This is the simple 2 wire actuators.

Now when your car is off it will be in the unlock position with the latch push to lock the steering wheel. Once you push the bottom the ignition would activate the relay to reverse the polarity to the actuator moving the latch back so the steering wheel will unlock.

Now this is with cars that have a key switch on the Steering column. Now since our cars have the key switch on the dash, there just may be an actuator already doing this job. If so all we need to do is tap into the already in use actuator and use a couple of relays to do the reverse polarity for it.

Hope that made sense. but it is quite simple to do either way.

That is a great system and for a great price considering all it does. And doing the above would complete the system, Total key-less start.
I'm intrigued by your post.... I just ordered that system for my supra and was planning on just disabling the ignition lock. But if there's a way to reliably keep it in place with the ability to electronically disable it then have it reengage once the accessory power is turned off I'd be REALLY interested in that. Going to look into this further
Old 01-31-11, 08:10 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is sick! Definitely reasonably priced as well. If anyone ends up installing one of these can you please post up install pictures and a video? Looks like it would appear oem.
Old 02-01-11, 09:02 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No keyss.... PUSH TO START!!
Old 02-26-11, 10:47 AM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what wires in the ignition harness are the ig2 and 12v?
Old 02-26-11, 11:37 AM
kapetajr
Pole Position

Could this be wired into the stock Volume control ****?
Old 02-26-11, 12:17 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by kapetajr
Could this be wired into the stock Volume control ****?
yes im sure it can be mounted anywhere ---but you still need a key to start so it doesnt make things any easier for you at all------i wouldnt do this mod im sorry ---no offense

Quick Reply: DIY Push Button Ignition