SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Painting stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 09:03 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting stock wheels

Okay guys, I have the stock 10-spoke SC wheels and they are a little beaten up, i.e. scratches, tiny dings, etc on the face of each rim, and the insides look like rust developing on the hubs, etc.

So anyway, I was looking to repaint them the same color silver or maybe bronzish/goldish JDM color, or maybe gloss/flat black, what do you guys think? I think it would look pretty hot, I'm sure other people have already done it though. Or should I just repaint them the silver that they were?

Also, how should I go about doing this? Should I just sand, prime, paint, and then clearcoat them? What do you guys recommend doing to make this the cleanest possible? I was thinking of getting spray paint, clearcoat, and primer all in spray cans to do this. Should I dismount the tires before I go to paint them so I don't have to tape everything off? Anyone have recommendations on paint/primer, clearcoat, and sandpaper so these will hold up pretty good? What do you guys think?
Old 03-03-10, 09:07 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

I think it has the potential to look good. However, from my past experiences if you painted them flat black, they tend to look a LOT like the factory steelies on most hub cap cars from car away...i.e not my cup of tea.
Old 03-03-10, 09:07 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the Aircraft remover, seems to work really well for some. I think silver is fine, but a light bronze could look good
Old 03-03-10, 09:13 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BostonSC4
I think it has the potential to look good. However, from my past experiences if you painted them flat black, they tend to look a LOT like the factory steelies on most hub cap cars from car away...i.e not my cup of tea.
Yeah, that is why I was kind of thinking of not painting them flat black, because they will look like steelies from far away lol. I guess maybe gloss black could help out with this issue?

Originally Posted by Hil
Use the Aircraft remover, seems to work really well for some. I think silver is fine, but a light bronze could look good
Yeah, I really am feeling the bronze, I think I might try it. Just trying to get some opinions though. Maybe even some pics of other people's wheels that have already done it!
Old 03-03-10, 09:14 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

why not post up a picture of your car in the photoshop forum and see first hand what it looks like?
Old 03-03-10, 09:16 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BostonSC4
why not post up a picture of your car in the photoshop forum and see first hand what it looks like?
That's true, I should probably do that lol. I would rather just see someone elses pics with real deal you know? I'll probably try the photoshop thing too though, not a bad idea.
Old 03-03-10, 09:47 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...opinion-2.html

check out that link. i remembered seeing a thread "best looking stock wheels" so i searched it for you. page 2, a member has his 10-spokes painted black. check it out, see what you think. i agree with other people though, don't do black. silver, and bronze would be new and different!
Old 03-04-10, 12:11 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

I'm definitely going to try bronze. I think it will look better than black. The question is now, should I do flat bronze on semi-gloss bronze?
Old 03-04-10, 07:05 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is do it right the first time. Use the airplane stripper like a previous member stated. It works well. Dont get the spray either and use gloves. That crap burns! Get the can of it. Also, it smells horrible so get some good ventilation.

When you go to paint it make sure to do many coats of color and many coats of clear.
Old 03-04-10, 08:52 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

if you use airplane stripper dismount your tires, that stuff is nasty stuff if it gets on paint or anything else for that matter i used it before its krazy. I would just sand and paint over (leave tires on and mask them off with paper n tape) because airplane stripper is very time consuming for stock wheels which you will one day upgrade
Old 03-04-10, 10:09 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eliteskill
if you use airplane stripper dismount your tires, that stuff is nasty stuff if it gets on paint or anything else for that matter i used it before its krazy. I would just sand and paint over (leave tires on and mask them off with paper n tape) because airplane stripper is very time consuming for stock wheels which you will one day upgrade
So should I use the airplane stripper stuff? I was probably just going to tape everything off with paper and stuff and then sand, prime, paint, and then clear them. Won't that work?
Old 03-04-10, 10:15 AM
CSSC400STL
Pole Position

on my 92 sc4 i sanded the rims down and painted them gloss black with two coats of clear coat. nd it looks pretty good
Old 03-04-10, 12:32 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rooticon
So should I use the airplane stripper stuff? I was probably just going to tape everything off with paper and stuff and then sand, prime, paint, and then clear them. Won't that work?
rough sand 600 > 800 > 1000
prime
prime wet sand 1500 grit is fine
color
color wet sand 1500 grit is fine
color
color wetsand 2500 grit
clear clear clear clear
compound buff/polish/wax.
something in that order

i wouldnt use airplane stripper because like i sayed before if your planning to upgrade ur rims later on its alot of work to do it and u have to dismount tires if you get that stuff on your tire it will eat it almost instantly
Old 03-04-10, 01:32 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

the aircraft remover won't eat through the tire... just do be careful you don't get a glop of it on the tire. I did all 4 of my wheels w/ tires on, and I'm not running into any trouble.
it is a lot of work though. I would just sand down some of it and start painting.
Old 03-04-10, 10:15 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

What exactly is "aircraft remover"? I've never heard of it until now lol...

Quick Reply: Painting stock wheels