SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc400 Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 06:41 AM
pjfernan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 Instrument Cluster

I have a 1996 SC400 with red neddles in the instrument cluster and recently the tach became erratic, working on and off.
I just bought on ebay, supposely, another instrument cluster from a 1996 SC400. It came with orange neddles, all the sockets for the wiring connectors are the same as mine, but when connected the temp gauge does not work and the temp warning light comes on few seconds later after starting the car.
The car does not have a problem with the cooling system and switching to my cluster that problem does not show up.
I decide to disassemble the cluster that I bought in order to switch the temp gauge or the tach and I noticed the the circuit board from mine was not the same to the one that I just bought. They are both denso but with different part number.
I install all gauges, as a unit, from the new one to my cluster and all gauges work except the temp, no temp light show up but the needles do not light up.
I assemble back both cluster and they work worked as before and all neddles light up.
I thought that all SC400 clusters from 92 to 96 where compatible but that proved to be wrong in my case unless the the one that I just bought came maybe from SC300 instead.
If someone had change cluster please comment.
Old 02-20-10, 11:43 PM
Elitesrule
Driver School Candidate

Are those lextech needle gauges and dash backlights good to replace everything with? I also need the climate and Radio lights/displays replaced. Anyone got any experience with those?
Old 02-21-10, 10:24 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Elitesrule
Are those lextech needle gauges and dash backlights good to replace everything with? I also need the climate and Radio lights/displays replaced. Anyone got any experience with those?
Go on to there website. Read the FAQ there.
Old 02-22-10, 06:30 AM
Elitesrule
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neurocity
Go on to there website. Read the FAQ there.
Yes, I tried that before asking the question here. Hopefully there are others who might be more helpful who have either used them or know others who have. I have noticed there is a lot of "use Search" and "Go there and look" responses and not so much actual help sometimes on this board.

Go to another site and read the FAQ's, Really? That isn't helpful and it's already been completed.
Old 02-22-10, 06:46 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a place in Massachussets called BBA Remanufacturing. They will fix your orginal cluster completely. You can then reinstall your original cluster, sell the other cluster and your problems will be solved. Check out bba-reman.com. They did a great job on my cluster. You can also check for auctions on ebay and get the work done cheaper.
Good luck!
Luis
Old 02-22-10, 06:55 AM
Elitesrule
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lev, I will check it out right now. Also I am looking for someone who is really good working with Lexus's in TN since I am not overly technical. I have a brand new to me 92 Dark Green SC400 with light green olive interior. All the others I have seen have been tan interior, is the olive interior rare? The backlight on the cluster works but is dimmed, the needles, the NAK and Climate lights and displays need to be replaced so I just have to find someone who can do it. Thanks so much for the advice
Old 02-22-10, 07:05 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

92-94 are compatible. In 95, Lexus switched the polarity on the needles. At least that's what I have discovered in my cluster conundrum between my 95 SC3 and my 94 SC4.
Old 02-22-10, 05:08 PM
pjfernan
Driver School Candidate

That change of polarity may explain why the needles did not light up when I change them to my cluster.
Old 02-27-10, 08:44 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

oh so a 95 cluster wont work in a 94? does anybody know what years it might work on? thanks guys
Old 02-27-10, 09:22 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by willhickey
oh so a 95 cluster wont work in a 94? does anybody know what years it might work on? thanks guys
I believe - not 100% sure, a 95 cluster will work in a 94. However, the 95 has a little green light that indicates when your lights are on that the 94 does not.
Old 02-27-10, 09:32 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

okay thanks man because i really dont want to swap the clusters just to find out it isnt going to work...... and also is there way to get the cluster to light up while it isnt in the car? im asking because i got this 95 cluster and i have never seen it lit up... thanks
Old 02-28-10, 05:51 AM
Woody426
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by willhickey
okay thanks man because i really dont want to swap the clusters just to find out it isnt going to work...... and also is there way to get the cluster to light up while it isnt in the car? im asking because i got this 95 cluster and i have never seen it lit up... thanks
Good luck with that, I asked that question and all I got was "Just swap them out its only a five minute job". I wanted to replace all bulbs an check out the needles BEFORE the swap, but I guess no one either knows the pin outs, or no one wnats to share that info.
Old 02-28-10, 07:34 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Woody426
Good luck with that, I asked that question and all I got was "Just swap them out its only a five minute job". I wanted to replace all bulbs an check out the needles BEFORE the swap, but I guess no one either knows the pin outs, or no one wnats to share that info.
I never took the time to look up the pinouts either.
Old 02-28-10, 09:59 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am an OG and I noticed those of you posting on this thread are all really new to the club, so, first, I welcome you here. This is the most widely accessed and membered Lexus forum in the world. I have been a member of CL for many, many years. There is a lot of good camaraderie here, and there has been a good sense of "brotherhood" in the forum.

I am posting because I want to encourage you all to be patient while asking for information on the boards. The SC forum has had a lot of members, and there are few subjects that have not been thoroughly discussed and researched at one time or another here. So when a member suggests you "search", it is because there is information on it in this forum. Sometimes it may take a few minutes to search, but you can gererally find the information without too much difficulty.

GL on your future searches and your experiences on this board.

Originally Posted by Elitesrule
Yes, I tried that before asking the question here. Hopefully there are others who might be more helpful who have either used them or know others who have. I have noticed there is a lot of "use Search" and "Go there and look" responses and not so much actual help sometimes on this board.

Go to another site and read the FAQ's, Really? That isn't helpful and it's already been completed.
Elites, I understand your frustration, but please do note that you rudely responded to a Forum Moderator, and even though you were frustrated, you might consider a little more patience, and definitely show a little more respect to the moderator. He is here to help you, and even though you weren't feeling it, he made a good suggestion.

Originally Posted by lev00221
There is a place in Massachussets called BBA Remanufacturing. They will fix your orginal cluster completely. You can then reinstall your original cluster, sell the other cluster and your problems will be solved. Check out bba-reman.com. They did a great job on my cluster. You can also check for auctions on ebay and get the work done cheaper.
Good luck!
Luis
Great info Luis. I did not know about these guys. I sent my cluster and AC controller to Lextech, and I am very satisfied with their work. I also changed the colors. The early clusters used bulbs not LED's, and Lextech's latest version of their white "32" is a tremendous improvement over stock.

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
92-94 are compatible. In 95, Lexus switched the polarity on the needles. At least that's what I have discovered in my cluster conundrum between my 95 SC3 and my 94 SC4.
ishoot, good example of "helping".

Originally Posted by Woody426
Wood, I would tend to think that people just don't know, not that they don't want to share....

Keep in mind guys that people don't just read every thread that is posted up on the boards. So again, may I suggest some patience when looking for information.

Enjoy CL guys, and please do not get offended by my comments and suggestions to each of you. I am only attempting to make your stay here a little better.....

Ryan
Old 02-28-10, 10:45 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Elitesrule, Lextech has everything you need for what you need, the needles, backlighting, radio, etc. Contact KillaHZ by PM or call them. I won my set of needles from a contest on here done by OLT, aka KillaHZ. They can simply be pulled straight up and the new ones slid back on, BUT be aware if you do it to hard, they will not light up. I also ordered new LEDS for the backlighting, to replace the factory bulbs. If you decide to change the original bulbs, they are 194, bought at any local parts store. If u need further help, search for my DIY for backlighting cluster. Where in TN are you, Im in north ALabama.

Quick Reply: sc400 Instrument Cluster