SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ownership as a Married/Family Man?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 06:22 PM
STRTORPTR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Ownership as a Married/Family Man?

...This question is directed to mainly the older gentlemen with wives, kids, or long-time baby's mommas, but I'd also like to hear from the those of us with such plans in the future.

I'm an SC owner in my mid-20s and I would like to know of the complications (besides the obvious) of owning a personal luxury coupe in household of 2 or more members. If you've already been there, what was your solution?

Did you buy another car? Did you sell the SC? Were you able to afford to keep it? How'd you juggle the kids if you had any? Was your partner empathetic or wanted to get rid of it?
Old 02-19-10, 06:29 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. GF didn't like the car when I got it, she knows that I put a lot of time on it, but I think she's pretty understanding why I do have it and its usefulness if my DD goes down like it is now. My daughter is 3 months, and she's never rode in the car yet. And, I have thought about selling, but mostly to put down for a small house/condo, but I am trying to make ends meet so I can keep it
Old 02-19-10, 06:29 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha!!!! "Kids' stay with the mother in law, I'm going out tonight with yo momma!"
Old 02-19-10, 06:32 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

^^^^ lmao!!
Old 02-19-10, 06:38 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not married or anything but do wish to be one in the future. I'm not quite understanding your question but maybe because i'm not in your shoes. What is owning more than 2 cars have to do with anything? I think as long as you can afford it then its all good right? I used to own 3 motorcycle and 2 cars. Now I only own a truck and my SC. I still live at home with the mom along with 2 brothers. We have 6 cars in the driveway total. Everyone is alright with it. Like I said (my opinion) as long as you can afford to keep it then its all good right? No complains here at my household as I work on all the vehicles here anyways.
Old 02-19-10, 07:09 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I am in the same boat as you guys, no problem here. You definately have to have a 4dr reliable beater car for daily driving, my sc is my baby and my lady knows and respects my purchase.
Dont sell your car, you'll later beating yourself up later. I bought my lady an suv, so if we go somewhere we take her ride.

Jadu: my baby is also 3 months old never ridden in my sc I thinks its a big hassle getting her to fit in the back seat, I wouldnt do it anyways, just for a safety reasons: too close to the gas tank
Old 02-19-10, 07:31 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

drunken double post

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 02-20-10 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-19-10, 07:44 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Did you buy another car? Did you sell the SC? Were you able to afford to keep it? How'd you juggle the kids if you had any? Was your partner empathetic or wanted to get rid of it?
Just hit my 30s with a wife, 1 child (possibly 1 more on the way), mortgage, and 5 cars (3 are impractical). Wife doesn't care as long as we have parking space. College degree is your answer. If you have one, put it to use.
Old 02-19-10, 07:48 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my fiance drives the 4 door, i drive the coupe.

PROBLEM SOLVED NUKKA.
Old 02-19-10, 07:48 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 32, live with my baby's mama, her daughter and our son. Single income family, and I gotta admit...the SC's are money pits, and I wish I had picked a different platform (or kept my already built previous car) WAyyyyy too many issues with these cars, and even the little things can equal big $$ to fix correctly.

EDIT: Thank God we have a civic for a DD, because the SC has stayed on the road less than 6,000 miles since I bought it over a year ago...
Old 02-19-10, 07:50 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm engaged, and have a little boy, when I had my 93 sc the passenger seat wouldn't roll forward so it was hell getting my baby boy in/out of the seat. Now that I got my 97 and he's 1 years old it's better because he faces the front and not with car seat turned around, btw I'm 23.
Old 02-19-10, 07:56 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Not a good family car... fyi but liveable if you're diehard.
Old 02-19-10, 08:34 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont have any kids, been married 6yrs, she want one, when, we do, i have a good excuse, im paralized and have to have a 2dr car to get my wheelchair in and out of so, ill get to keep it, lol i tried to use this as an excuse about 3yrs ago when the RX8 came out that, i would still have a 2dr but have the accessability of the 3rd door for the kid, lol she didnt buy it, ha ha, the auto's are gutless anyway.
Old 02-19-10, 08:43 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

married with 3 kids. my youngest was two when i bought mine. Everybody said WTF when they saw it only sat 4. haha. All i know is that i'm comfortable in my seat!
Old 02-19-10, 09:35 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Jadu: my baby is also 3 months old never ridden in my sc I thinks its a big hassle getting her to fit in the back seat, I wouldnt do it anyways, just for a safety reasons: too close to the gas tank
Ya, I wouldnt want a car seat back there either; there isn't too much space.. maybe a booster seat on day when she's old enough to buckle herself in

Quick Reply: Ownership as a Married/Family Man?