SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ownership as a Married/Family Man?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 08:48 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Not always true, but it does help and it can make life a lot easier when hunting for a job. Most of the wealthy people in the US are not college grads.
Agreed, not always true, but we only have so many Bill Gates and Warren Buffets out there. Majority of the population in the US do not belong to that spectrum of the bell curve. I know you and I along with most of the people in the SC subforum are not part of. Consider the millions of people who are in the generational poverty category where welfare is what every next ongoing generation relies on. A college degree was a lot more appealing to me than some of the other options out there.
Old 02-21-10, 08:51 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

what is difference between a doctorals and a professionals degree? I have always thought that a doctorates was the highest
Old 02-21-10, 08:57 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
what is difference between a doctorals and a professionals degree? I have always thought that a doctorates was the highest
Specified field of study, for example Pharmacy = Pharm D. or Medical Doctor = MD.
Old 02-22-10, 03:57 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well i just went through this myself..

Just had a baby last october, i had a boosted SC, then moved on to a sweet black interior 5 speed SC in my sig link, you can see it was well modded with high dollar parts and i hated to part with it knowing i probably wouldn't have another one like it..

anyways, we needed a family car, i could either buy a cheap 4 door something for 3k or less and keep my car, or sell it and get a nice family car..

well i sold it, and to be honest i didn't miss it as much as i thought, i guess i just felt it had to be done and i was willing to do it to have a nice car to ride my family in.. well i picked up a 2001 GS430 and love it, tru i miss my SC! but recently with our tax return we picked up a 2003 Camry, so now if the GS sells, i'll pick me up another toy, maybe even a SC..

it's really hard for me picking out another SC in a reasonable price range, the two i have already had where near perfect to me, so its hard even considering another one knowing i won't have the $$$ that i had last time i owned a SC.

the GS430 was my compromise, 300hp stock and fun to drive, yet big enough for the fam

Last edited by aka paco; 02-22-10 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-22-10, 04:20 AM
Chawk60
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the chance to own the car of my dreams and d**nnit, I was not going to let anything stop me! Folded up a large towel to protect the backseat from indention marks behind the passenger's seat and strapped in the kid's carseat. And yes...it's a PITA to get them in/out, but in time you can make it a fluid movement. Just remember, you've got your family in the car and don't do anything stupid... My wife was often pressing her 'imaginary brake pedal' when I was liberal with the gears and throttle. She seemed particularly aware when someone was ready to race, especially after the engine swap. I think there are still some nail marks on the dashboard over the glovebox from where she was hanging on for dear life....

Final Answer: Get a good 4 door ride when you can and give it to her, but you can gut it out until then.
Old 02-22-10, 08:33 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in exactly the same situation you are. 33, 2 kids and an SC. Simply pick up a second car for family stuff. Maybe an old LS or something.

However, I do have a booster seat for my 3 year old in the back of the SC and do whip the family around on occasion. You should here her cry when we don't take the "fast car." She and my 10 year old love it!
Old 02-22-10, 11:37 AM
aj523
Driver School Candidate

Lol, I was directed to this fourm by a friend of mine 'cause he knew I'd love this question, so I specifically joined so I could answer...

The only cars that have ever been in my family are (not all at the same time) an '80 RX7, four Supras, kid you not ('86, '89, '91, and '93) - courtesy of the parents (mainly mom), and I got a '98 SC for my graduation present...they actually didn't get a 4-door until we'd both went to college...

As for family car...well, entire family in the '86 Supra 15 years ago, hit by wrong way driver and flipped at 100mph, everybody lived w/o any major injuries...so I've never been against coupes being a family car - you gotta be a little creative with the car seats, yes, but doable (unless you've got 5 kids, then you might have to buy something else...keyword: might...)

So, my SC's going nowhere when I start a family, haha!

And by the way - this is a girl's opinion on the issue - so guys, y'all are not crazy for wanting to keep your SC...

Last edited by aj523; 02-22-10 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-22-10, 11:59 AM
frankdms
Pole Position

My wife and I shared a s14/2g gsx for the first 1.5 years of our beautifull daughter. It was a tight fit but she nor I wanted to get rid of our cars. You can get a rear facing car seat to fit with the passenger seat all the way forward in a sc300* The question to you is what is your decision? 4 doors are so* much easier, but its still a 4 door. Get a GS300 thats a sexy soccer mom car.
Old 02-22-10, 12:21 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

Multiple cars. I have several kids and several cars etc.
Old 02-22-10, 01:32 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by aj523
Lol, I was directed to this fourm by a friend of mine 'cause he knew I'd love this question, so I specifically joined so I could answer...

The only cars that have ever been in my family are (not all at the same time) an '80 RX7, four Supras, kid you not ('86, '89, '91, and '93) - courtesy of the parents (mainly mom), and I got a '98 SC for my graduation present...they actually didn't get a 4-door until we'd both went to college...

As for family car...well, entire family in the '86 Supra 15 years ago, hit by wrong way driver and flipped at 100mph, everybody lived w/o any major injuries...so I've never been against coupes being a family car - you gotta be a little creative with the car seats, yes, but doable (unless you've got 5 kids, then you might have to buy something else...keyword: might...)

So, my SC's going nowhere when I start a family, haha!

And by the way - this is a girl's opinion on the issue - so guys, y'all are not crazy for wanting to keep your SC...
nice to have a ladies point of view.. welcome

Originally Posted by shern
I'm in exactly the same situation you are. 33, 2 kids and an SC. Simply pick up a second car for family stuff. Maybe an old LS or something.

However, I do have a booster seat for my 3 year old in the back of the SC and do whip the family around on occasion. You should here her cry when we don't take the "fast car." She and my 10 year old love it!

I cant wait for my lil girl to be able to ride in my car hahaha, esp. "the fast car"
Old 02-22-10, 03:00 PM
STRTORPTR
Driver

Originally Posted by aj523
...well, entire family in the '86 Supra 15 years ago, hit by wrong way driver and flipped at 100mph, everybody lived w/o any major injuries...
100mph!?
Old 03-22-10, 08:58 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a wife and a now 10 year old daughter. She is just starting to get big enough to not be able to ride in the back seat. We have an SUV that we use when we travel as a family usually, but it's nice to take the car once in awhile. I will likely be getting rid of the SC soon because of this. All in all though, it worked out great until this point. I would not want to rock a car seat back there though. There really isn't enough room for it to be comfortable and to not mess up the seats.

BTW, my wife is the reason I bought this car in the first place. She picked it out.
Old 03-22-10, 10:48 PM
ZPEED
Driver

Originally Posted by STRTORPTR
...This question is directed to mainly the older gentlemen with wives, kids, or long-time baby's mommas, but I'd also like to hear from the those of us with such plans in the future.

I'm an SC owner in my mid-20s and I would like to know of the complications (besides the obvious) of owning a personal luxury coupe in household of 2 or more members. If you've already been there, what was your solution?

Did you buy another car? Did you sell the SC? Were you able to afford to keep it? How'd you juggle the kids if you had any? Was your partner empathetic or wanted to get rid of it?
my wife love cars so she doesn't bother if i keep buying cars as long as we can still pay the mortgages..and this is my happiness before i die .. anyway life is too short so enjoy!
Old 03-23-10, 12:40 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im a married man of almost 3 years now, Luckly my wife and i are both into cars. There for she is understanding of my need to Mod.

Thankfully no kids yet, But honestly i cant wait to have them so its acceptable for me to play with legos again and make forts.....BUT she knows we are both keeping our fun cars, we dont plan on having kids until both of us have our careers set and have enough security to give them everything they need, Including a Swagger Van if we need one.
Old 03-23-10, 01:05 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2 cents on this is that if you are a car enthusiast of any type when you are young; well it will go away for the next 20 or so years of your life right after marriage/kids.

Your income level usually does not make any difference because the responsiblity a family requires leaves little time to worry about foggy headlights or an engine change. It's the reason why low maintainance and bland cars are the top sellers.

Yeah, if you are mega buck wealthy you can always have a toy because you hire people to change your child's diaper and wipe snot out of his nose. Then you have time to play with cars. Otherwise, even if you have a nice car you will rarely get to drive it as much.

Your spending habits peak from the time your kids first start to drive to the time they finish college. After that, your spending rapidly drops and you have the time/money to spend on a hobby.

But, um....at age 60+ most people just want to enjoy life and not bother with car repairs and restorations. So you buy the expensive car you always wanted to have and by the time you die the car has been beaten to hell because you are not worried about what others think, trying to show off, etc...

I kind of saw this with someone I know and once went to an estate sale for a famous surgeon in Houston that died at age 81. His cars were representative of his stages in life. A Benz from the 60s in good shape, a Camaro he had bought his kid when the boy was a young man...up on blocks and decaying. and the doctor's car was a top of the line BMW 7 series from the early 90s. He got that thing right at that stage where your kids are independent and you have free time. The thing was beaten to hell and had the most filthy and vile interior in any car I have seen. They were asking only $1500 for it with 78K miles yet it did not sell.

But I think the SC is a car that can be had with a family onboard. Well, as a second car that is. Station wagons are great with kids and are coming back.

Most people will read this and think "It will not happend to me" but it probably will.

Quick Reply: Ownership as a Married/Family Man?