SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Quieter telescoping steering-wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 10:47 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quieter telescoping steering-wheel?

Well when I upgraded from a '95 SC to a '99 one of the upgrades that I was hoping for was a quieter telescoping steering-wheel when you put the key in. Unfortunately this was not the case and my '99 is just as noisy.
I was in a buddies Mercedes today and his didnt make a sound at all. Granted it was a 2007 model..
Anyways, has anyone ever attempted to make it quieter? Or any ideas? Lube? Grease? New components? I tried searching and doesn't seem like it has been tried.
Old 01-22-10, 09:25 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Well when I upgraded from a '95 SC to a '99 one of the upgrades that I was hoping for was a quieter telescoping steering-wheel when you put the key in. Unfortunately this was not the case and my '99 is just as noisy.
I was in a buddies Mercedes today and his didnt make a sound at all. Granted it was a 2007 model..
Anyways, has anyone ever attempted to make it quieter? Or any ideas? Lube? Grease? New components? I tried searching and doesn't seem like it has been tried.
1. There's nothing you can do about it, its the motor. u should be grateful its a very good motor. I think people are getting too picky about little things these days. Quieter telescoping steering wheel?? u serious?

2. you can disable the telescoping and leave it quite and stationary, if it really bothers you that much.

3. don't ever compare a Benz to a Toyota, ever.
Old 01-22-10, 02:00 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Whoa, tad bit defensive!? Lol..
I don't think there's anything wrong with being pickey. Isint that the whole point of modding? To improve to your taste the different features of your car? Whether it be suspension, engine, looks, etc?
In my case I happen to be really happy with most of my SC's features, xcept the noisey telescoping steering wheel. I always thought that although it's cool and functional, it kinda seems un-Lexus like. Hence my questions.
Do all Lexus models have the same noisey feature? Or no?
Old 01-22-10, 02:10 PM
jinsoku3g
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine makes some noise, in and out isn't bad, but up and down, it only goes up and down a little bit before making a noise like this; and please read this out loud so that you really understand how it it sounds; and to get the full effect you should be screaming this; ok here it goes;

MAHEHAHEHERMBURRRRRRREEEEEK!!!!!!

Repeat that a few times if necessary, let me know if you think your telescopic is still too loud LOL
Old 01-22-10, 04:05 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Whoa, tad bit defensive!? Lol..
I don't think there's anything wrong with being pickey. Isint that the whole point of modding? To improve to your taste the different features of your car? Whether it be suspension, engine, looks, etc?
In my case I happen to be really happy with most of my SC's features, xcept the noisey telescoping steering wheel. I always thought that although it's cool and functional, it kinda seems un-Lexus like. Hence my questions.
Do all Lexus models have the same noisey feature? Or no?
, no offense, because i didnt meant it that way.

i dont know what you consider to be "loud", but i dont interpret my telescoping mechanism to be irritating/loud at all. It doesn't bother me. everyone's different i guess.
Old 01-22-10, 05:02 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Net
, no offense, because i didnt meant it that way.

i dont know what you consider to be "loud", but i dont interpret my telescoping mechanism to be irritating/loud at all. It doesn't bother me. everyone's different i guess.
Well it's not annoyingly loud like the previous poster, but as I said, I've seen others that don't make a peep. Just thought if anyone has managed to accomplish this on an SC..
Old 01-23-10, 07:30 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jinsoku3g
mine makes some noise, in and out isn't bad, but up and down, it only goes up and down a little bit before making a noise like this; and please read this out loud so that you really understand how it it sounds; and to get the full effect you should be screaming this; ok here it goes;

Repeat that a few times if necessary, let me know if you think your telescopic is still too loud LOL
LOOOL thats a good imitation. im putting that in my sig.
you made me laugh. thanks

Last edited by MIGS; 01-23-10 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-23-10, 07:41 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jinsoku3g

ha ha ha that funny i actualy tried it,lol
Old 01-23-10, 10:22 AM
infiniti24
Lead Lap

i re packed a white grease into mine since its 16 years old lots better
Old 01-23-10, 11:07 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I wish mine was quieter too. I'm sure some grease will take care of it, but I'm too lazy to even check where to add grease.
Old 01-23-10, 12:35 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

It doesn't really bother me it lasts 2 secs when I first turn on the car and 2 secs when I turn it off.
Old 01-23-10, 12:49 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

you could pull he column off and cover he inside of the column in dynomat and maybe cover the motor in dynomat. or put something in there to make it quieter.
Old 01-23-10, 01:08 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disable it if it bothers you that much. Grease only does so much to make it quieter.
Old 01-23-10, 05:08 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1sxyrxy
you could pull he column off and cover he inside of the column in dynomat and maybe cover the motor in dynomat. or put something in there to make it quieter.
lol
Old 01-23-10, 05:16 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine's whisper quiet? Surely there's something that can be greased, or cheaply replaced..

Quick Reply: Quieter telescoping steering-wheel?