SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What to know before buying a SC300/400

Old 05-14-02, 10:53 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What to know before buying a SC300/400

Taken from Ladman.com (RIP)

Ahhhh! The Lexus SC Coupe. Ultra reliability, gorgeous body and smooth powerful drivetrains set this car apart from all others. Considered by many the best and greatest automobile in the world. If you are looking on a purchase or just want some more information on what to expect from your Coupe than you have come to the right place.

Introduced as a 1992 model, the Coupe received raves and accolades from every automotive journal in the country. Though not the techno packed car that the rest of the world was blessed with under the Soarer name the Coupe nevertheless is an incredible car in every aspect and occupied a slot in the automotive chain that only had the Acura Legend on the low end and a underpowered gas guzzling BMW 850 at the top end when it was introduced. Powered by either a sporty inline-6 or a magnificent smooth and powerful V8 the Coupe was always willing and able to perform to the owners expectations.
Even after 8 years the Coupe is a very modern car that still attracts attention and comments from passerby's. Ok enough of this, you already know how great these cars are so lets get on with this. This page was compiled after a thorough test and inspection of over 30 SC Coupes. This page is here to help you the prospective or current owner on what to look out for on these cars. Please be aware that this is a guide only and that a inspection from a QUALIFIED technician should also be a factor in your decision.

What to buy: A SC300 or SC400?

Powered by a 225 HP inline6 that moves the latest Supra the SC300 is a very nice all around sport sedan. The engine loves to rev and if you are looking for a manual trans than this is your only choice as the SC400 comes only in auto form. The six is very smooth (though not the velvet 32valve V8) and is happy revving to redline. The SC300 is very stable and is better balanced than the SC400 due to its lighter front end. The brakes are easier to modulate (not as heavy as the 400) and the steering is slightly easier. This car loves to jump off of the line and the accelerator is quit linear (the 400 is heavy). Performance for the auto version is good and will push the car to 60 in 7.4 seconds and top out at 141mph. The manual version will do it in 6.8 and 145 respectively. Good numbers to be sure and more than plenty for most folks. The transmission is a 4 speed overdrive (later model are 5 speed auto) and the shifts are pronounced and solid. Not exactly the super smooth shifts of the SC400, but the SC300 bestows a more sporty nature than the SC400.
Now the SC400 can be had with some options such as traction control that was not available on the early 300 models. This is something to really think about in adverse climate areas as it keeps the car in line. Another think to think about is that the SC400 without TRAC will spin the tires with haste if you press the pedal hard enough so if you can get one with it than do yourself a favor and get it.
The body on both models is IDENTICAL. Folks I talked to a salesperson at a lot that swore up and down that the nose on a 400 was longer than a 300 because it had a larger engine. After I explained to him that the I6 in LONGER by 4 inches vrs the V8 he got upset and didn't want anything to do with me. Most but not all 400's come with a rear wing and a bottom front rubber spoiler. The 300 has these as options only. The 32 valve V8 in the SC400 is the nicest V8made ANYWHERE. Considered by many the best V8 made it is a super smooth, extremely reliable 250-290 hp powerplant that propels this luxury car to 60 in 6.1- 6.8 seconds. This is no exaggeration. The shifts are almost non-existent even in POWER mode and this engine loves to scream. Nail the pedal at a light and listen for the tires to spin and expect to see some smoke (unless you have traction control) before you launch. Impalla SS next to you. No problem, he is history in 3 seconds if he doesn't break down first. The shifts are so smooth at full throttle that you would swear the trans is slipping. This car will propel you in a seamless velocity to over 150 mph before the computer kicks in and slows you down. Brakes are bigger and thus have a bigger and heavier fell in the 400 and since the V8 is 120 lbs on the high side the car is not as balanced around the turns as the SC300.
If you want to cruise with lots of power on tap than go for the 400. If you want a more sporty nature or have a itch for a clutch than go for the 300. My advise is to go for the best condition model wither 300 or 400 that you can find for your price range. They are going for the same price on the market. Other than that the following things to look out for are for both models.

The ONLY difference between the SC300 and the SC400 is the following:
Engine (no kidding).
Transmission (400 is incredibly smooth, the SC300 can be had in a 5sp.)
Brakes (400 has larger front brakes,SC300 1999 and up have the larger brakes also)
THAT'S IT!! Some other minor items such as the dash gauge assembly are a little different because of options such a traction control.

Performance:
SC300- 0-60 Auto 7.4 seconds 1/4 mile 15.8 seconds
SC300- 0-60 5sp. 6.8 seconds 1/4 mile 15.4 seconds
SC400 0-60 -98 6.7 seconds 1/4 mile 14.9 seconds
SC400 0-60 98+ 6.1 seconds 1/4 mile 14.5 seconds

Folks, the build quality in these cars is impeccable and very very consistent which is why many used examples will share the very same problems. They are:
Cosmetics:

The needles on the gauge assembly flicker. OUCH!!! If it is the center larger needles than the WHOLE thing must be purchased. Some are working on replacement needles but they are not out yet. Cost: over 500.00

The needles on the outer end gauges (temp, fuel) flicker. The gauge must be purchased to get a new needle. Cost 150.00 each.

The interior trim piece that goes around the the front windows crack on the bottom. The material will tear after a while unless the crack is fixed. A new one is over 250.00 each!

The front seat bevel that wraps around the bottom of the seats always have scuff marks on the front of them where people kick them getting in. Newer cars have a lower stance on the bezel but the same happens if not as bad. They also crack on the side especially if people sit on them while sliding into position. Cost: 135.00 each.

The front ventilation vent cracks on the bottom of them as heat wears in. Garaged cars do not have this as badly as others. Cost for the whole unit: 345.00. Ouch!

The rear view mirror does not function properly as the inside material malfunctions. Not a big deal but a replacement is 250.00

Electric antennae motor goes out: Cost:256.00

Mechanical:

Nothing on these car stand out as problem areas. There are some areas that you should look at however:

The rear mounting rubber flange where the differential connects to the differential in the back should be inspected for cracks. Replacement cost is around 150.00 and a 30 minute job.

Check the harmonic balancer located in the front of the motor that surrounds the crankshaft for cracks. Replacement cost: 250.00. 6 hours in labor.

Check the transmission mount for sagging or cracking/seperation. Replacement cost: 45.00. 40 minutes of labor.

That's it. In fact the above items seem to occur only on vehicles that have been REALLY ABUSED and not on your standard daily driver but I wanted to list it here so that you can at least be informed.

Service records such as lubricants, timing belt, tune ups with mileage.

Spark plugs in the SC300 is a very very ridiculous and time consuming job and can take 2.5-5 hours for "6 plugs" depending on your skills or the greediness of your mechanic. The reason being that the intake plumbing above the valve cover must be removed to gain access to "1" plug and the EGR tube must be removed along with the valve. A plug job on a 400 takes just 1 hour. I recommend Bosch +4 or NGK Platinum plugs as they will last a while and are of good quality. Ensure that the timing belts have been done according to schedule (This is very important though both engines have way oversized belts). Routine maintenance parts are a little more for the 400 considering the extra cylinders. The 400 has two caps and rotors which average around 45.00 for all 4. The wires are around 120.00 with the 300 running around 100.00. Both air/fuel filters are the same for the 300 and 400.

Almost all cars come equipped with a Pioneer cd changer. I have only seen 1 that did not come with a cd changer from the factory. The three sound systems available are the aforementioned basic 180 watt stereo (rare), the 220 watt Pioneer system(very nice and more than ample for most) and the top of the line Nakamichi 280 watt boom box (turn it down over there!).

Aftermarket:

SC300: Since the 300 shares the same inline-6 as the newer Supra with 5 extra hp many of the engine mods will work on the Lexus.
Exhaust (10hp)
Performance chip(21 hp)
K&N filter (1 hp)
Ignition systems (3 hp)
Body kits
Lowering springs
Turbo kit(125hp)-Good for a 12 second 1/4 mile time!
NOS (100hp)

SC400: This is the same V8 in the LS400 model and as such engine mods are interchangeable for the most part. Many items are finding their way out to the aftermarket for this model.
Exhaust (10hp)
Performance chip(24hp)
K&N filter(1hp)
Lower ring & pinion (no hp will lower 0-60 by .03 and 1/4 by .02)
Ignition systems (4hp)
Body kits
Lowering springs(good for handling,get good shocks (Tokico/KYB) first though)
Supercharger (japan only, 120hp, superfast)
5.0 stroker kit (100hp, used with the supercharger this car will hit 11's in the 1/4!)
NOS(120hp)

The only areas of concern with the earlier years are all cosmetic. NOTHING stands out as far as the drivetrain. Many many very high mileage 300,000+ mile cars are out there and going strong. As in anything you consider on purchasing, buy the newest you can afford and PLEASE if you cannot afford to maintain a car such as this than please DONT BUY ONE. These cars are one the most durable cars on the used car market but all things require some sort of maintenance. I have seen all to often someone who BARELY gets into a nice car because of depreciation and cannot afford the basics on keeping the car "fresh". They just run it in the ground. So I ask on the behalf of other Lexus owners that care about their cars. If you cannott afford it, don't get it. If you can afford it than welcome to the world of Lexus and be proud in the fact that no other car on the planet is like it.

After the purchase
Ok now that you have your shiny sexy Coupe in the garage or driveway with your neighbors gawking with envy, now what? There are some things you should do or look into to. Regardless of the records the previous owner kept it is best to check up and perform some basic things. Now if you would be a bit more comfortable with taking it to your mechanic than working on it yourself than so be it.

1) Oil change with a good oil filter and a synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec, also do not forget the air filter/fuel filter and PCV valve. K&N makes an excellent filter for the SC series(they are the same part number for both models). See the review elsewhere on this site
2) Change the tranny fluid also to synthetic whether it be an auto or manual. On auto models there is no tranny filter to be replaced. Just cleaned. Also change the differential fluid in back with some synthetic gear oil.
3) All other fluids such as brake,coolant (bled on the 400), fan clutch(400), windshield cleaner
4) Complete safety checkup,lights,signals, brakes,tires, wipers...

Take it out and enjoy it...
Old 05-15-02, 06:42 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, these are great starts for FAQ, but there's definitely a couple of small inaccuracies here.
Old 05-15-02, 10:53 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy Too bad about the Ladman forum...

...I only stumbled upon it last week, when someone in the edmunds.com lexus forum mentioned it. It was packed with a lot of info, but you can see that its usage is tapering off. Fortunately, you can see that many of the active posters just came on over here- with their user names intact!

I hope Ethan doesn't mind me posting the URL; I don't think we'll lose any members to it:
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fladmanlexussc300400sportcoupe
Old 06-06-02, 05:23 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting an SC soon, as my second car. I love the older SC. the newer one is cute, but i love the older ones. The shape was hot and the car was just too sexy.

Last edited by chicagoblknazn; 06-07-02 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-06-02, 07:07 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I like the 92-2K better as well, it has such a classic long-nose shape, like, dare I say it, a Jag XKE or one of the old Ferrari coupes. Then again, if they come out with a lightweight SC300 coupe like the rumor has hinted, i'm in for sure. Hmmm, wonder if the hairdryer will void the warranty...
Old 06-06-02, 07:54 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

The 1992-1995 SC400 0-60mph is commonly accepted as 7.0 seconds and the quarter mile is commonly accepted as 15.2 seconds at 93 mph. Just had to correct that one
Old 06-06-02, 08:41 PM
Phierce
Driver School Candidate

So if the earlier SC400 has a 0-60 of 7 seconds, does that mean the earlier SC300 5 speed is faster in the 0-60? I'm kind of torn between getting an SC300 and a 400 right now. I'd love to have the power of the V8, but I'm not used to automatics. Is the 300 quick, or does it feel like it's missing something? I'm coming over from a MR2 Turbo...
Old 06-07-02, 01:22 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

The SC400 is always faster than the SC300 stock for stock; However, it's a lot easier/cheaper to make a 12-second SC300 than a 12-second SC400.
Old 06-07-02, 06:21 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

True....
Old 05-13-04, 07:26 AM
McDonough
Rookie

I own a 92 SC 300, my Dad owns a 92 SC 400. You could not tell which one is faster without going to the track. No way to tell when the difference is so minor. In my opinion, the 5 Speed Manual is the only way to go.

The v8 has had some major problems that the 6 has not. Namely it needed a starter which was big bucks.
Old 05-13-04, 08:55 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

does anyone know what happened to the owner of ladman.com?

was a great site back in the days!