SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Finally sporting a 24 LED 5 speed cluster to match my 5 speed conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 12:30 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally sporting a 24 LED 5 speed cluster to match my 5 speed conversion!

EDIT 2/26/2012:
***********************************************************************************************************************************************
I still get a number of PM's asking where to get the LED's I used since the ebay link is dead. Just search ebay for "3 LED T5" and if they look like the pic below, they should work fine. Also, it's been 3 years now and I have not had a single LED fail.

... and since I'm editing, here's a vid of them in action:

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

I tossed in some of these nifty 3 LED units I got on ebay. I think it looks great. The hot spots you see in the pics are not seen by the naked eye.

Here's how it looks dimmed...

It matches my Kenwood deck nicely. Too bad the display on my Kenwood is taking a big dump. Still waiting on parts for the climate control.

Here's the brightness cranked up!

Last edited by ishootstuf; 02-26-12 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-08-09, 12:41 PM
SoCaLSC400
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your clusters looking sweet!
Old 12-08-09, 12:52 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great alternative to spending 200$! I'm sold on this Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-08-09, 01:03 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, that things looking nice. those are plug in bulbs? or did you have to solder??
Old 12-08-09, 01:10 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Looks like plug in bulbs to me!
Old 12-08-09, 01:14 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

lol looks just like mines.
Old 12-08-09, 01:23 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
Damn, that things looking nice. those are plug in bulbs? or did you have to solder??
No soldering required. Since I got a bunch of PM's right after posting, here's more info:

I used 8 units. I bought 10 from this guy...

ebay link

Just pull cluster, disassemble to get to the 8 backlight bulbs, remove bulb from twist lock socket and insert these LED's. LED's are polarity sensitive, so it's best to test while it's out of the car. I have a DC 12v power supply, so it made it easy. Otherwise, it's trial and error. I think there is a polarity guide out there somewhere, but I don't know where.

I supplied 12v as shown in the pic above to test prior to installation. The left and right light up on different circuits.

Last edited by ishootstuf; 12-08-09 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 01:30 PM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

sweet!!! bookmarked this page!
Old 12-08-09, 01:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by FormosaSC
great alternative to spending 200$! I'm sold on this Thanks for sharing!
There is no such thing as a price alternative to a completely different application of technology. That's like saying a corvette motor is cheaper to stick in an SC than a 2Jz GTE. OF course it is, it's not the same. I don't see any difference in the spots on this cluster and all the other spotted plug and play led clusters except this is the cheapest way to do it I have seen yet. Get what you pay for though. Just save the image to your computer and run it through a photoshop app turning the contrast and brightness down. You'll see the problem.

.....but yeah, 75% of the world wants something cheap, the other 25% want something custom. Just pick your side of the fence and jump.

Not shooting down the OP's efforts, just trying to keep a lot of disappointment down when everyone rushes to buy these thinking it's gonna look anything like the alternative. Been saying this for 7 years and have to say it every year, there is no plug and play solution that doesn't spot.

Get what ya pay for Here's the result of turning the brightness down in that pic.
Attached Thumbnails Finally sporting a 24 LED 5 speed cluster to match my 5 speed conversion!-dscf3622.jpg  
Old 12-08-09, 01:35 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

for comparison purposes
Old 12-08-09, 01:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by FormosaSC
for comparison purposes
Just since you brought it up, Here's that picture turned down........
Attached Thumbnails Finally sporting a 24 LED 5 speed cluster to match my 5 speed conversion!-borioandhot-20004.jpg  
Old 12-08-09, 02:02 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Just since you brought it up, Here's that picture turned down........
OK, not trying to be a jerk here, really, but in the pic you just posted with the white needles, There are clearly numbers that are brighter than the others.

I'd like to add that if you are a total perfectionist, you can bend the individual LED's in the ones I bought to "tune" it. Yes, I can barely see the 3 on the tach is brighter on my cluster in real life. I'm sure I could adjust it away - in fact I may just to prove a point. However, I did this whole job in 30 minutes and I didn't have to send my cluster off and it was less than $20. If it's worth it to anyone out there to be without their cluster for a couple weeks, and spend 10 times as much AND need to solder should a LED fail - more power to you. You obviously have way more time and money than I do and you have my envy.

I'm not trying to take business away from you, but this is a community for those who like to DIY AND those who have cash to blow. I just wanted to throw this out there because I have not seen anyone else do it with the three LED goodie. I had the flat top white LED's in there before and there are major hot spots and daytime vision blows, so I think this is a great alternative. You still monopolize the needle market and I'm sure I'll have to hit you up in the future since my needle stock is depleted and I have 2 SC's!
Old 12-08-09, 02:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Has nothing to do with me, your cluster spots. Like I said it's the cheapest solution yet, but still spots. I doubt you need to tell me what this community is, I had 40+ written DIY's before you joined here. It's a moot conversation, just pointing out there are spots since you didn't. It's the better of the DIY solutions I have seen. Just needs a disclaimer.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-08-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 02:25 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Has nothing to do with me, your cluster spots. Like I said it's the cheapest solution yet, but still spots. I doubt you need to tell me what this community is, I had 40+ written DIY's before you joined here. It's a moot conversation, just pointing out there are spots since you didn't. It's the better of the DIY solutions I have seen. Just needs a disclaimer.
Well... It may look spotty in the pic, but so does yours. I'm sure yours doesn't look that way in real life and I'm sure you take the time to properly aim and calibrate the LED's for an outstanding product. My point is, the pictures don't do it justice.

Old 12-08-09, 02:30 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

This is only with the Pre 97 clusters right? 97+ are Cold cathode lit?

Quick Reply: Finally sporting a 24 LED 5 speed cluster to match my 5 speed conversion!