SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

vin identification

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 05:04 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb vin identification

Hey people, so in my search to find out what plant my car was made in i found some vin reading info on google and thought it might be helpful to some of you out there so here it goes,

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

What is it?

A car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) is the automotive equivalent of
human "DNA".

It sets the vehicle apart from the millions of other vehicles out there. In recent times it has been reflected in 17 digit characters. It displays a car’s uniqueness and heritage and provides a form of "factory to scrap yard" identification. It can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage. Each character or digit has a particular purpose.

History of the VIN

Detroit automobile manufacturers began stamping and casting identifying numbers on cars and their parts in the mid 1950's . The primary purpose of this vehicle identification number (VIN) was to give an accurate description of the vehicle when mass production numbers were starting to scale in very significant numbers. The early VINs came in a range of variations depending on the individual manufacturer at that time.

In the early 1980's the U.S. National highway Traffic Safety Administration (USDOT) required that all road vehicles must contain a 17 character VIN. This established the standard fixed VIN system which major vehicle manufacturers use currently. The result was a unique "DNA" style number for each individual vehicle rolled off the assembly line.

The Vehicle Identification Number was originally described in ISO Standard 3779 in February 1977 and last revised in 1983. The ISO-VIN was designed to identify motor vehicles, trailers, motorcycles and mopeds and consists of several parts described below.

How to read a VIN

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1or 4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- VDS - Vehicle Descriptor Section. These 5 characters occupy positions 4 through 8 of the VIN and may be used by the manufacturer to identify attributes of the vehicle. Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th Character - The check digit "character or digit 9" in the sequence of a vehicle identification number (VIN) built beginning with model year 1981 (when the 17 character digit format was established) can best be described as identifying the VIN accuracy.

A check digit shall be part of each vin (since 1981) and shall appear in position
nine (9) of the VIN on the vehicle and on any transfer documents containing
the vin prepared by the manufacturer to be given to the first owner for purposes
other than resale. Thus, the vins of any two vehicles manufactured within a 30
year period shall not be identical. The check digit means a single number or letter
"x" used to verify the accuracy of the transcription of the vehicle identification
number.

After all other characters in the VIN have been determined by the manufacturer
the check digit is calculated by carrying out a mathematical computation
specified. This is based on vin position, sample vin, assigned value code,
weight factor and multiply assigned value times weight factors. The values are added and the total is divided by 11. The remainder is the check digit number.
The correct numeric remainder - zero through nine (0-9) will appear.
However, if the remainder is 10 the letter "X" is used to designate the check
digit value/number.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- VIS - Vehicle Identifier Section. The last 8 characters of the VIN are used for the identification a of specific vehicle. The last four characters shall always be numeric. Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled off the manufacturers assembly line.

Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) are used to uniquely identify motor vehicles. Prior to 1980 there was not an accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats. Modern day VINs consist of 17 characters that do not include the letters I, O or Q.

just copied from the site i found, but i found the plant my car was made and found the flag for that city (Nagoya JP), i might make a sticker
Attached Thumbnails vin identification-flag_of_nagoya.png  
Old 10-28-09, 05:39 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats some good info. I knew what some of them were, but not all of them.
Old 10-28-09, 11:51 AM
saurah
Pole Position

Thats pretty cool!
Old 10-28-09, 08:24 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

probs to this guy
Old 11-01-09, 01:26 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

thanx everyone, i know its alot of reading but i thought it was very informative, and sharing is caring
Old 11-01-09, 09:17 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should point this out to all those Honda noobs who keep swearing that their Honda Accords and Civic Coupes are "Imports" when in fact,They're made and assembled in Marysville Ohio and/or in Canada and have never even touched Japanese soil. LOL!
Old 11-26-09, 08:42 AM
scfou
Pole Position

So I guess it doesn't tell you the color of the interior. The reason I ask is because there's this rx300 2000 steering wheel that I want to buy. The color on the picture looks straight up like the brown-ish color steering wheel belonging to a tan interior. But the fool lists it as a gray color. I emailed to ask the seller, but fool says I think it's a gray. I said how can you not tell between a dark brown and gray? Then he gives me a vin number and said to check myself.