SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help! AIR BAG light is on after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-02, 03:46 PM
RWC SC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! AIR BAG light is on after battery change

I have a '92 SC400 and the battery went dead. Stopped by the Lexus dealer and bought a new one...thought I can put this in, no problem. After the install my AIR BAG light stays on. Turned to the owners manual and it said to contact Lexus dealer before disconnecting battery. Obviously I didn't do that so how do I get the light to turn off?? Does this also mean the Air Bag is not functioning?
Old 05-04-02, 07:52 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on the subject airbag light on. I posted the procedure on how to turn the airbag light off.
I posted it on either the SC or LS forum.

Last edited by VQT; 05-04-02 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-05-02, 09:41 AM
RWC SC400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply...did a search "air bag light on" and looked for your procedure. Couldn't seem to find it. I did try disconnecting the Neg. post for a couple of hours. Hooked it back up and light is still on. Read some of the other threads about the air bag light...pulling fuses, checking codes, etc. but they are somewhat conflicting. I don't want to scew anything up. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-02, 04:40 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default airbag light is on

First, you need to know the trouble code.
use a small paper clip, use the ends of the same paper clip to stick in the Tc & E1 of the DLC2 (it is a small round thing under the dash, above the driver left knee, open the cap downward, behind the cap is the schematic of where is the Ts and E1 locations) after you turn the ignition on for ~20sec. (do not start the engine). If the light blink continuosly or code 22, you may cancel the light. If it is any other code, you need to trouble shoot it and fix the problem.

To clear the code connect two wires to Tc and AB of the DLC2. Turn the ignition to ACC or ON and wait ~6 sec. Start with Tc terminal, apply to body ground alternately to Tc and AB twice each in cycles of 1.0 +- 0.5 sec. (To accomplish this, you can connect the wires to the end of two paper clips, one stuck in the Tc and the other stuck in AB. the other end of the wires connect it to something metal and have sharp point so you can touch the metal body of the car. The bolts on the door hinge work fine for gounding.) Finally keep Tc to ground, if the clearing is done properly the AirBag light will blink in a 50msec (continously). If if did not, repeat the procedure (you didn't ground the Tc and AB properly.

Other codes shown, you need a repair manual to troubleshoot.

Last edited by VQT; 05-06-02 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-06-02, 12:52 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

RWC SC400,

????
Old 05-06-02, 05:46 PM
RWC SC400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for ALL the information. I have been out of town and have been playing catch up. I will try doing the proceedure in the next day or so and let you know how I made out. Again thanks!
Old 05-07-02, 04:21 PM
RWC SC400
Driver School Candidate

Ok...I did the proceedure.

I didn't get continuous blinking. What I did get is 4 blinks and then 1 blink then 4 blinks then 1 blink...over and over. Does this mean code 41??

Maybe you can shed some light on what this means?

Thanks again!
Old 05-07-02, 05:12 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to detract from RWC getting his problem resolved, but may I ask why his air bag light came on, and how the rest of us can avoid this happening when we change our batteries?

I've had five years + with the same battery, and my luck is gonna run out one of these days, so I'd like to know how to change it properly and avoid this problem.
Old 05-08-02, 05:38 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RWC SC400
Ok...I did the proceedure.

I didn't get continuous blinking. What I did get is 4 blinks and then 1 blink then 4 blinks then 1 blink...over and over. Does this mean code 41??

Maybe you can shed some light on what this means?

Thanks again!
Descripe what you did to get code 41.

The first part of the procedure is to get the trouble code.
The second part is to clear the code. You have to follow it exactly to clear the code. try it again, remember to do within the time frame (0.5 second ...)

Last edited by VQT; 05-08-02 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-08-02, 05:44 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
Not to detract from RWC getting his problem resolved, but may I ask why his air bag light came on, and how the rest of us can avoid this happening when we change our batteries?

I've had five years + with the same battery, and my luck is gonna run out one of these days, so I'd like to know how to change it properly and avoid this problem.
I don't know how come the airbag light came on. When it did on mine, it scare the sh*& out of me. I thought I mess up the electrical system. I din't change the battery to get my airbag ligt on.
That's why I bought a repair manual as soon as I get the car. I recommend everyone to get the repair manual. All this info. are from my repair manual, this airbag light issue took me a few days to figured out what to test and how to turn it off.
Check with Steve Hanz on how much he sell the repair manual, also ask for the electrical manual (total of three volumes)

Last edited by VQT; 05-08-02 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-08-02, 07:46 AM
RWC SC400
Driver School Candidate

The first thing I did was in the DLC2 under the dash I jumped the Tc & E1 using the ends of the paper clip. Turned the key to ACC, watched the air bag light. It was showing 4 flashes then 1 flash...over and over.

I am not sure what this means but I would sure like to know before I go to the Lexus rip-offs. With all the Lexus cars that will need a battery you wouldn't think it would be such a big deal.
Old 05-08-02, 08:01 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I'll check on what the code 41 mean when I get home tonight. I am at work and don't have the manual with me
Old 05-08-02, 08:04 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

You can follow the second procedure to clear the airbag light since you already know the trouble code...
Old 05-08-02, 02:34 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

RWC SC400,

There is no code 41 for 1993 SC400 Airbag light. Are you sure that you used the Tc and E1 ports? Try this again but this time turn the ignition to on at least 20 seconds before sticking the paper clip in the Tc and E1 ports.

Check the code again to make sure on the number then clear the airbag light.

Good Luck,
Old 05-09-02, 10:02 AM
RWC SC400
Driver School Candidate

VQT,

I believe I did the 1st part of the proceedure correctly. But I will try it again. Maybe you could explain the second part again as I also did try it with no success. If you don't hear back from me for a few days it's because I am leaving on a business trip. But I haven't given up!

Thanks, RWC SC400

Quick Reply: Help! AIR BAG light is on after battery change